PDA

View Full Version : Keypad problem

MCGEE2SKINNER
01-05-2009, 12:56 PM
HI
Long story.
Early Dec. my keypad stopped working. Called CW went thru trying to get it to work with tec. OK we will send you a keypad waited week and a half. I received a lcd display ok I installed it same problem. Called CW went thru testing ok we will send you a controller after $100.00 core charge waited another week. Installed it same problem called CW went thru testing with tec ok we will send you a keypad another week plus installed it same problem. Called CW the only thing it can be is a cable ok we will send you one after waiting I received a e-mail declined. Called CW you have to send back keypad, lcd, controller. That would be another 2+ weeks for a lousy $5.00 part. Supervisor refused to talk to me about the problem. So I went ahead and bought one $5.00 part $12.00 s&h. Hope this fixes it but I doubt it. Fustraited and upset carver

JIM McGEE

Jeff_Birt
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Jim I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of your post. I understand the frustration but obviously non of us fellow users can do much to help but offer advise. Having done a fair bit of telephone tech support myself I can sympathize with the CW techs. It's difficult trying to troubleshoot something using someone else as you eyes and ears. The two folks involved are interdependent on each other. The techs recommendation is limited by the helpfulness of the person on the other end of the phone.

You mentioned the LCD/keypad cable was bad. Do you see a bad spot in the cable? It makes me wonder if you might have accidentally damaged it when replacing the keypad. It is very easy to do if you try to pull the keypad housing off without first unplugging the cable. I recall LiquidGuitars posting about how he damaged the cable like this a few months ago.

I'm glad you got it fixed though. Also, please be sure to send back your old parts and get your deposit/core charge back. Doing so helps out both us as users (money back in our pocket), and CW. CarveWright like other good companies performs an 'autopsy' on parts that have failed prematurely to try and find out why. They take what they learn and use the knowledge to make the product even better. So, in the end that is good for use as users too.

liquidguitars
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Jim,
The cable should fix it, I droped my side panal it tore
Out the ground pin and lost some keys ..

Lg

MCGEE2SKINNER
01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Jeff
The problem started before anything was taken apart. Everything was replaced before they decided it could be the cable I inspected the cable every time I took it apart. The LCD was working right from the start. The part I didn't understand the supervisor refused to even talk to me.
I know there is nothing the forum can do but I just had to vent someware.
JIM