PDA

View Full Version : Making Rounded Corners for wooden box

boxtalk
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi. I'm looking at the Carvewright machine as a tool to make wooden boxes. It seems that I should be able to use it to cut the patterns of a box (top, bottom, sides) in 1/4" plywood, but I'm a little stumped on whether it would be able to do the rounded corners, which would have to be somehow carved out of solid blocks of wood.

The attached jpg illustration shows what the box and specifically the corners would look like.

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to do the corners with the Carvewright. If not, does anyone have any suggestions for what type of tool I could use to do this?

2) Is the Carvewright an effective too for cutting patterns out of 1/4" plywood? How long would it take, for example, to cut a rectangular pattern with rounded corners measuring, say, 14" x 10" in 1/4" plywood?

Thanks!

DocWheeler
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Boxtalk,

The corner pieces could be carved within the limits of the depth of carve allowed(.8"). A pattern could be made for both the inside and outside carves.
The CW can also route the 1/4" plywood for the sides and bottom.
However, if that is your primary need, there are better tools and solutions. For example, about any saw would cut the plywood more affordably, and the curved corners could be formed by gluing two pieces of 1/8" plywood together within a jig.

So, I do not know if I answered your question to your satisfaction or not. But I believe that if you had a CW, you would enjoy using it for other projects.