PDA

View Full Version : Thanks and question on where to buy

vthowe
01-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my post about talking myself out of buying one. The good and the bad of my decesion....

So this week is the Winter WoodWorking Event at Sears, essentially 10% off mail in rebate for anything over $299.

Yesterday the compucarve new was $1799 and the reconditioned was $999.

Today new - $1999 - recon - $1499!

So, yeah, less and less impressed w/ Sears these days.

My question now is if buying new is it best to buy directly from CW, "littlered", seems like machinerydistributors have a good deal too, lowes, sears, etc? In terms of service and support?

Thanks all!

Travis

Dan-Woodman
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Lowe's is $1798.00
Check out little red woodshop too.
LHR handles all first year warrenties.
later Daniel

Mike Witt
01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
By all means, Talk to Jason at "Little Red Woodshop" you won't go wrong
Ask all of your questions and get the "REAL ANSWERS".
Stay away from Sears & Machinery Warehouse

Mike

wgrigsby
01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi

For what it's worth I bought mine at Sears also, because they had a sale on it about a year ago. The employes hadn't seen one yet, so they opened the box and looked at it which I didn't realy mind. The only thing bad about them looking at it was that when they went to load it in my pick-up, the bottom of the box came out and it droped out onto the drive at the loading site. A few scrach's nothing bad. I don't know if it was because I got it form them or if it's because I've had it for a year or what but when I order parts I need to upgrade because I'm told that it's an older model. I'm thinking the reason it was on sale was because they had older models. Don't think LHR would do that.

ChrisAlb
01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Get it new from LHR or Jason (little red woodshop). The only two choices in my book.

Digitalwoodshop
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I agree.... Good Prices and Good Customer Service....

AL

mifflinlake
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Travis,

I looked at these machines for two years. Read and re-read the forums. Talked myself out of buying for a long time. Just wasn't comfortable with things I had read. I think some of the early bugs have been worked out and was ready to buy. Bought mine and have had it about a month. No problems except a couple of user malfunctions. I have been amazed at some of things I have been able to make with this. I have also made a few flops. But sometimes the best learning tool is just experimenting. My best advice is to read all you can and keep it clean and lubed as sugggested. The tips and tricks posted on the main site are a wonderful tool. I have them all printed out and in a three ring binder. Shop around and purchase someplace you feel comfortable with. If I was going to purchase another one, I would buy it from LHR or Little Red Woodshop. Jason offers some excellent advice on this forum and I think he would be a great person to deal with, I am sorry now that I didn't support him to begin with. I unfortunately purchased mine from one of the other places and had awful communications and shipping delays with them.

John

jeff412
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I bought mine from Sear's. One nice thing about getting it from there is the ease of return. The first one I bought had all kinds of problems. It was the older model and had been previously owned. I returned it, no questions asked and bought a new one. I haven't had any of the issues with the new one.

Jeff

peter_l
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok guys, I hate to admit it, but I would also look at Harbor Freight (HF).

They are selling a NEW (not refurb) for $1699
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66227

You can always find a 15% or 20% coupon too.

Shipping is only $11.99

I have no interest in HF just pointing out a possible good deal, especially since all the warranty work is done through LHR.

Pete