PDA

View Full Version : From paper to cutting cutouts??

tahoetimr
01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
I need to develop a number of quite detailed custom cutouts (each unique) that will be cut from .25" hardwood....I have these shapes on paper but not digitally and there's no way anyone could draw them with the software.....right now the only way I have to do the outline of these cutouts is to scan them into a graphic format and then import into Designer. I just got my machine this Christmas and haven't cut a thing yet.....been reading for a week!! Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

ChrisAlb
01-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi Tahoetimr and welcome,

First I'd like to suggest that you do indeed carve a few small things to get used to the way the machine and software operate. Just take a pattern from your library and run a project. Far too often folks new to this start out thinking they can produce the desired results right out of the gate. I can assure you, this is seldom the case.

Beyond that, scanning your shapes is a good way to get a graphic of them but then scaling them correctly might become an issue. Since you said these are "intricate" shapes I'll assume they have precise dimensions? Also, for cutting on 1/4" material you WILL have to use either a sled or carrier board. The CW can only handle down to 1/2" without them.

You might be surprised just how accurate and detailed you can get with the Designer software. Used correctly, I'll bet your shapes could be drawn in Designer and then you have direct control over size and scale.

No matter, if you scan an image of them and post the image here, I have no doubt we can help you get them laid out for cutting. But please, take some time to familiarize yourself with the software and machine operation first. There IS a learning curve that everyone one of us has had to go through.

DocWheeler
01-04-2009, 08:42 AM
tahoetimr,

I would like to add one small consideration to what Chris said, consider using the new 1/16" routing bit on your carvings for greater detail and smaller radius corners.

ChrisAlb
01-04-2009, 09:27 AM
tahoetimr,

I would like to add one small consideration to what Chris said, consider using the new 1/16" routing bit on your carvings for greater detail and smaller radius corners.

That's a great point Ken! I forgot about that. I actually bought one but have not used it yet. It's a cute little bugger though...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

tahoetimr
01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Gentlemen:
Thank you so much for your assistance!! I agree about the 1/16" bit and although I haven't ordered it yet I certainly intend to do so!! And you're both absolutely right about doing some "fun" library type projects which I intend to do - hopefully later today.....also thought I would do some basic geometric patterns that will also have to go into this project; squares, circles and other basic polygons. And I can see from my reading that there's certainly a definite learning curve (I originally typed that "leaning" curve, which I sure appreciate that I also have someone to "lean" on for this kind of information!!) and I will take it slow and easy.....I've read where folks didn't and they got frustrated and sent back their machines in less time than I've had mine unpacked!! If nothing I am patient (comes from years of screwing up woodworking projects!!), and although I am no computer whiz, I can handle basic Windows and Office functions -- never have done anything in CAD or DRAW or anything like this but I have a hunting buddy who used to run a CNC Lathe for a living so I figured I would get him involved as well....he doesn't know it yet -- he is indeed a computer guru and does that for a living now....good to have friends and I sure appreciate you all taking the time to respond on this thread--I've never done this before either so if I'm doing something wrong, please don't hesitate to point it out!!

Thanks again and I'll post something as soon as I get it going!! Happy new year and happy carving!!

mtylerfl
01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Hello Tahoetimr and Welcome!

Be sure to read the Tips & Tricks newsletters - particularly the Dec '07 and Jan '08 issues (before operating your machine).

Those 2 issues will help you avoid common "newbie" errors and teach you how to maintain your machine.

The Sept '08 issue will show you how to set up a project for 1/4" material cutouts.

All the Best!

Amonaug
01-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Maybe if you post a picture of a sample of the image you are trying to produce we can give you an idea of the best way to go about it.

tahoetimr
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Michael....yes, I've read the Tips & Tricks Newsletters and they are very helpful.....looks like clean is the way to go which is fine with me!! I've got to get some of that special lube but other than that I've got all the right stuff (material-wise anyway!!).

Kevin....thanks for the offer....I will do so as soon as I get one scanned...shortly I hope if I don't get interrupted with any more "honey-do's" this afternoon!!

Thanks again to you all!!

HighTechOkie
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I am currently testing some new software to convert graphics files into vectored .mpc files. Send me a couple files once you get them scanned in and I'll see how well they convert.

Rob
rob at slaughterbeck.net (replace "at" with @)

tahoetimr
01-05-2009, 01:22 AM
That sounds great although I'm not familiar with the format of which you speak....I will try to send something tomorrow sometime. Thanks again!!

Jeff_Birt
01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Please see my reply in this thread: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=75671#post75671. From the sound of what your wanting to so it sounds like you could scan in your artwork and use Pattern Editor to touch it up.

andes
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I am currently testing some new software to convert graphics files into vectored .mpc files. Send me a couple files once you get them scanned in and I'll see how well they convert.

Rob
rob at slaughterbeck.net (replace "at" with @)

Rob, What software are you testing?

tahoetimr
01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks again Jeff....I responded on the other thread.....

HighTechOkie
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Andrea,

I am working with some custom software to replicate the trace function in Corel DRAW for those who can't justify the $400+ for Corel.

Rob

jcorder
01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
If you are looking for Corel x4, check ebay, I just bought the full version for less than $90.

Good luck
Jeff

tahoetimr
01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for your patience on this.....I finally scanned in one of the many pieces that I would like to cut out (no "carving" per se) of .25" hardwood. I understand about using a sled for doing this but can't seem to get to the point where I'm doing a "cut-line" instead of 3-D. What I'm actually trying to do is build a puzzle for a young relative and want to do it out of wood, and since he's fairly young fairly large.....so yes, scale is a huge issue.

I don't have the "scanner" attachment for the CW but made one of these before by cutting it out with a scroll saw....my impatient personality is why I decided the CW might be the way to go with this -- I'm sure it can do it, just haven't figured it out yet. I have purchased the 1/16" cutting bit for .25" boards but since I don't have the scanner I don't have the PE software either but I do have Photoshop if that helps.

Thanks for your previous comments and if anyone can assist with this it would be great!!

tahoetimr
01-11-2009, 06:01 PM
we'll try this again.....sorry

tahoetimr
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
we'll try this again.....sorry

Guess I need more help than I thought.....apparently the file is too big to post....I'll have to work on it and see if I can change that.....

tahoetimr
01-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Now I think you can see them. The detailed file I built on this (cleaned scan) is nearly a mg so if you need a better version just let me know and I'll email it to you. Thanks!!

ChrisAlb
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
So you're looking to do this?

This isn't exact as the thumbnail was kind of dirty and needed a bit of cleaning up. Also, this isn't to any scale of course by that thumbnail but getting it to a cut path is pretty easy to do.

Send me a PM and I'll send you my email. If you need it to exact dimensions and have an AutoCAD file, I'm sure we can figure it out.

tahoetimr
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow!! That was fast and you make it look really easy....not sure how we'll do the scale thing but I've sent you my email so hopefully we can chat about that offline. Thanks again!!!

tahoetimr
01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Please see my reply in this thread: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=75671#post75671. From the sound of what your wanting to so it sounds like you could scan in your artwork and use Pattern Editor to touch it up.

Jeff:
I saw you were online so I thought I would ask; what do you think I could do if I don't have Pattern Editor to work on it? Chris is helping me out but I thought perhaps you could point me in the right direction on that issue. Thanks and I hope you're having a great day!!

Jeff_Birt
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
If you have any sort of graphics 'Paint' software you could probably make it work. Open up your scanned image in it and fill in all the areas that should be solid wood. Then save it as a PNG format and import it in Designer and lower it until the background vanishes and then use the Floor Edges' option. That might get you there.

tahoetimr
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Thank you sir!! I will definitely give that a try!!