PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing CarvePic 3D as a CAD/CAM solution for CarveWright Designer

etmaterial
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I scoured the internet for solutions to generate exact 1:1 aspect height/width/length to carve on the CarveWright from a CAD model. (CAD/CAM capability)

The solutions in other forums mentioned expensive software such as DelCam ArtInsiginia or Maya.

I have been evaluating CarvePic 3D http://www.opitw.com/CarvePic.htm (30 day trial, Currently $45)) and it seems to have the conversion capability that I am looking for, without expensive software. (Note: One issue with one nasty pixel left on the top left). Note: I very impressed with the ability of this software designer to create and distribute this application.

Method to employ software with CarveWright Designer.

1. Obviously open the software CarvePic.exe (From within the downloaded folder on Desk
2. Select StereoLithography from combo box. (Douglas has referenced in CarvePic forum how to use Google Sketch (Free) to generate STL)
3. Select control box Read on Read Tab to open a file
4. Go to View Tab and check Parallel and set all camera settings to zero, Select the appropriate plane for conversion (Do not pay attn. to the current thumbnail geometry this will be corrected and updated in the next step.) This method seems much easier that trying to rotate the model around in a perspective view, that will also influence the parallelism of a CAD model.
5. Go over to the Write tab and Create Heightmap and check save file to clipboard.
6. I had to change the background color to white otherwise my model left a white pixel on the upper right of the .bmp. The white background seems to still have some left over, but for now we will have to deal with that.
7. Now paste this object into Irfanview (free)/similar software and Edit "autocrop borders". (This will remove the outside margins so that we can achieve the exact CAD representations we were originally looking for.)
8. Open CarveWright designer and import image from clipboard, next size the image to width, length and height dimensions used in the CAD model, then check unfloor the edges.
9. The model object can then be dragged from favorite onto the project by selecting the Pattern Tool on the toolbar under carving. The Object will then need to have the feathering set to zero.

The software designer also referenced http://wintopo.com (free) in forum that may have to be used as a next step to convert raster to vector

www.opitw.com/forum/

Good Luck
Eric

SawdustSteve
01-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Eric,

Could you post an example of a pattern you used this method to produce?

This sounds interesting!

Thanks,

Steve

James RS
01-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey Eric,
I'm trying the software out now, I'm liking it, I made this one this morning

Thanks,
Jim

etmaterial
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I downloaded an iges format wood pistol grip file -1911 from cncguns.com. I read into the CAD file and converted it to an stl format. Using Carvepic in the technique above, I created a bitmap from the front plane.

I just copied and pasted the bitmap back into carve file using standard default dimensions. I would think that an exact replica would require measuring the original solid and importing into those original dimensions.

Eric

jpaluck
01-04-2009, 07:26 PM
for the price this is one of the best programs to get a height map from a 3d model..plus it is specific to CW

John