PDA

View Full Version : Carve area and edge pattern

Woodnutt
01-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie and after much lurking here and reading man reviews I have just ordered a machine. :p

I have been playing with the software trial a couple of days now and want to create a sign with the edge being clean when using the corner vine type patterns. I have been able to do it in the software by making the carve area the same size as the work piece or slightly larger. Is this the correct way or should I use a larger work piece and create the size I want and trim the excess after the carve?

Hope this makes sense.

James

mtylerfl
01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie and after much lurking here and reading man reviews I have just ordered a machine. :p

I have been playing with the software trial a couple of days now and want to create a sign with the edge being clean when using the corner vine type patterns. I have been able to do it in the software by making the carve area the same size as the work piece or slightly larger. Is this the correct way or should I use a larger work piece and create the size I want and trim the excess after the carve?

Hope this makes sense.

James

James,

That is the way I would recommend you do it when first starting out - layout your project at the actual size.

When you go to your machine, then you make the actual board 7" longer than the finished size layout you created in your software. This keeps the project under the rollers at all times, which is extremely important for troublefree running of any project. EXAMPLE: software board length of 14" means the actual board inserted into the machine will be 21".

I won't go into all the other methods right now. Best to keep it simple so you can get a few successful projects under your belt right away before concerning yourself with alternative and/or more complicated methods.

Please read the Tips & Tricks free newsletters. Especially read the Dec ' 07 issue and Jan '08 issue before running your machine for the first time.

Welcome to "the club"! We'll look forward to seeing your finished projects!

Woodnutt
01-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks Michael,

I have been reading the Tips and Tricks and everything else I can find..

James

mtylerfl
01-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks Michael,

I have been reading the Tips and Tricks and everything else I can find..

James

That's great to know, James. You will be way ahead of the curve when you start using your machine. Good for you!