PDA

View Full Version : need carvings bits and I'll exchange my scanning probe

Colleen_and_Mike
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I have been wanting to puchase some carving bits, but whenever I go too they are out of stock.

I would like to TRADE/SWAP my scanning probe ( never used) for 4 new carving bits. You don't have to pony them up all at once, as we are a pretty honest bunch here.

I hope someone can help.

Colleen

pkunk
01-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Have you tried these guys? http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp

liquidguitars
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
We tryed some a year ago and liked them but the bit was a tad smaller in OAL but cut very nice.

I see now that the OAL is 2. and you can get a plasma ZrN coated for $10 more. I wonder how that cuts...

Overall good bits and nice people..

LG

atauer
01-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Not to ruin the thread or anything, but keep in mind that we do not reccomend using bits other than what we offer. Any damage caused by a bit other than ours will void your warranty. Also, the scanning probe is considered a non-transferable software package.

FINGERS
01-02-2009, 03:37 PM
TOO Bad for me I was looking to get a probe and I do have 4 new bit for the trade, Shuch-a-deal.

pkunk
01-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Not to ruin the thread or anything, but keep in mind that we do not reccomend using bits other than what we offer. Any damage caused by a bit other than ours will void your warranty.
Alex, Last year, I understood that he was selling bits to LHR. I was under the impression at that time that they were approved carving bits. I have on occasion been wrong (but not often:)) so maybe we could clarify this.

atauer
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Alex, Last year, I understood that he was selling bits to LHR. I was under the impression at that time that they were approved carving bits. I have on occasion been wrong (but not often:)) so maybe we could clarify this.

I'll have to get clarification on this one. You may be right. :)

I have been known to be wrong from time to time as well. :)

HelpBot3000
01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I thought I was wrong once. Turns out I was mistaken! lol :)

Dan-Woodman
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Sounds like what Alex is saying is that the probe is worthless once it is purchaced from LHR. if it is not transferable. eeeeeeekkkkk's.
later Daniel

atauer
01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Once it has been registered, it can't be given to another customer for them to register.

Soooooooo, once you have registered it, your stuck wit it.

Dan-Woodman
01-02-2009, 05:12 PM
What about these used machines that individuals are selling on e-bay with the probe. Are you saying the machine is tranferable but the probe isn't?
later Daniel

Ike
01-02-2009, 06:31 PM
The probe is not worthless, can't you just buy the pattern editor software for $199.00. Then you can use the probe? Saves you $50.00 bucks

Ike

atauer
01-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Ok, let me clear this up. The probe itself can be transferred to another user. However, the Pattern Editor software that accompanies the probe is non-transferrable. If you purchased a probe on Ebay, in order to use it, you would have to purchase the Pattern Editor software as well.

atauer
01-03-2009, 09:07 AM
The probe is not worthless, can't you just buy the pattern editor software for $199.00. Then you can use the probe? Saves you $50.00 bucks

Ike

It really depends on how much you purchase the Probe on Ebay for. I have seen some probes on Ebay at full-price, with several bids on them.

bjwisdom
01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Which bit does Precisebits sell that is comparable to the cutting bit?

Kenm810
01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
I've used their bits without problems
I'm also out of warranty Sooo--

http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp

PreciseCarveTapered Ball-nose Carving tool for the LHR Technologies
CarveWright and Sears CompuCarve CNC Woodworking Systems
Family of ball-nose carving bits, tools designed to take full advantage of the CarveWright technology. Improved cut quality,
reduced fuzz generation in soft woods, and longer cutter life are just a few of the advantages of these premium cutters.

http://www.precisebits.com/images/featured/0625taperedcarver_new.jpg (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp)

bjwisdom
01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks Ken. Do you know if they have a "Cutting" bit similar to the Carvewright bit? I plan on buying the carving bit also.

Kenm810
01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I do believe they have a 1/16" one the same as CW or Ron (rjustices) sells

Ike
01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
It really depends on how much you purchase the Probe on Ebay for. I have seen some probes on Ebay at full-price, with several bids on them.

Lol not when they want to trade a probe for bits!

Ike

LollyWood
01-03-2009, 10:03 PM
:confused:
Alex,
ol' buddy, if I buy a probe from ebay, (prolithic Ebayer) I "Must" get a new pattern editor? I can't reg it on my existing 131? Ya know I'm no computer guy, but was looking at a probe after getting C Cards bills cought up.:(

pkunk
01-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Ok, let me clear this up. The probe itself can be transferred to another user. However, the Pattern Editor software that accompanies the probe is non-transferrable. If you purchased a probe on Ebay, in order to use it, you would have to purchase the Pattern Editor software as well.
If the probe with the accompaning software disk has never been registered, it is as good as new and can be registered. Once the software has been registered, it can not be resold. The probe it's self has value to a current user with a bad probe(ie:broken housing or burned contacts or cable destroyed) who needs a replacement. The real value is the software!

pkunk
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Which bit does Precisebits sell that is comparable to the cutting bit?
If you read the whole thread, the link I posted in post #2 was the bit in question. :rolleyes:

bjwisdom
01-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks PKunk. I looked at the link and both of those are tapered nose carving. I am looking for a replacement for the 1/8" straight cutting bit. Lowes carries the carving but not the cutting. I broke my cutting bit when I failed to identify the minimum number of passes on a cutout...tried to cut 3/4" in one pass.

Ike
01-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I've used their bits without problems
I'm also out of warranty Sooo--

http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp

PreciseCarveTapered Ball-nose Carving tool for the LHR Technologies
CarveWright and Sears CompuCarve CNC Woodworking Systems
Family of ball-nose carving bits, tools designed to take full advantage of the CarveWright technology. Improved cut quality,
reduced fuzz generation in soft woods, and longer cutter life are just a few of the advantages of these premium cutters.

http://www.precisebits.com/images/featured/0625taperedcarver_new.jpg (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp)

Ken, that somes it up! I have those bits and have always used V groove 90 and 60 degree from Pricecutters and never had a problem!

Ike

Bubbabear
01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I like the bits rjustice has too. they have worked well for me

Colleen_and_Mike
01-04-2009, 06:08 PM
I have not had a chace to get back on this as I have been ill.
I have never used the probe or registered it.
I am still in warrenty so do not want any other bit except the carvewright one.

Colleen_and_Mike
02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Thank you everyone, I did get my carving bit issue resolved.
I have been very sick:( and was unable to answer or do any carving but I am feeling great now and I am back doing what I love, carving, carving and more carving:D:D

liquidguitars
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
All the best, and good to hear you feeling better!

LG