PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by the earlier Christmas ideas thread

jimsorrow
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
The game Quarto shown in an earlier thread about Christmas ideas caught my eye, and I decided to make the game for my brother. That lead to more ideas and I ended up making seven games that I gave to my brother and grown children and their spouses.

The Quarto game shown is made from eastern red cedar cut from a down tree on my property and cut into lumber on a friend's sawmill. The Go board is made from white oak that came from trees downed by hurricane Hugo almost twenty years ago. The Shut-the-Box game is made from the red cedar, white oak, and some black walnut. The Barricade game is carved in sycamore. My wife and son did all the tedious painting. There were two more games, Mancala and Nine-Men's-Morris that I didn't get pictures of - I'll post pictures of them later if I can.

HelpBot3000
01-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I remember seeing that post about the Quarto game. That caught my eye too! I've been looking for it in store as I didn't have a time over the holidays to run one through the machine. Maybe now I might get a moment in and I can try to run it.

mtylerfl
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Excellent projects and workmanship!!

FiddlemakerMills
01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Fine workmenship, I bet they will play them often.