PDA

View Full Version : CNC sold by Rockler

want2b
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Makes me appreciate my machine even more. Don't know what it can do but it seems to be limited in length of carve and owner must supply the Bosch router it is designed to use. Also must remain connected to a computer to run, not to mention more expensive up front.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19441&filter=CNC

Rick H.

FiddlemakerMills
01-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey Rick

I have looked at this also. One of the things I see is a longer Z travel. I still think the CW is better all around. Better quality construction better costumer service and excellant price with the CW.

Unless you are going into full cnc machining with a wood router this is not that good of a choice. The parts to construct something like it is about 1/3 the cost. The rest is the cost is for software and a computer. The USB-2 connection limits the speed of operation IMHO.

When I seen the demo for this it was slower then the CW. I left the demo and looked at other stuff at the store. Not impressed with the unit.

Carl

jonm3
01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
They want almost $2600 for that thing.

James RS
01-03-2009, 07:57 AM
You can go on the cnc forum and get plans and build your own cheaper, I originally looked at doing that very thing.

Kenm810
01-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I also see a rather poor Chip and Dust Collection System there.

ChrisAlb
01-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Just finished watching the video. The CW seems far better and easier to use. Also, what I was wondering as I watched is....

1) Once the code is loaded to the controller, can you unhook your computer to get it away from the dust?

2) Just how long did it take to carve that HD sign?

For the money and size limits, the CW gets my vote hands down.

dominulus
01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
The software looks quick, though -- and can import LINE ART.

When will CW software be able to do that?

BTW, that demonstrator needs a dust mask and hearing protection.

liquidguitars
01-03-2009, 02:38 PM
One of the cool things about the Carvewright is the 1 hp power plant is located off the Z trucks rails and mounted to the rear of the unit using the Flex Shaft.

LG

Dan-Woodman
01-03-2009, 02:50 PM
That paticular machine he was demenstating was the pro,and does not even come with a router ,only the v-carve software and does not use 1/2" bits, is very limited in board length.and is $3099.99.
later Daniel

FiddlemakerMills
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
The software looks quick, though -- and can import LINE ART.

When will CW software be able to do that?

BTW, that demonstrator needs a dust mask and hearing protection.

The V carve soft ware was a trial edition when I looked at it. You have to get seperately.

I will stick with the CW untill I get my own machine built.

ncamp
01-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Just finished watching the video. The CW seems far better and easier to use. Also, what I was wondering as I watched is....

1) Once the code is loaded to the controller, can you unhook your computer to get it away from the dust?

2) Just how long did it take to carve that HD sign?

For the money and size limits, the CW gets my vote hands down.

I looked at these before getting my CW. I was under the same impression as you that you had to leave the computer hooked up to it. Later I was told (over at Saw Mill Creek) that the controller box would simply allow you to plug in a USB stick with the code on it to make it carve.

ChrisAlb
01-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Nathan,

But then how would you access the controller to start the machine? According to what I saw in the video, the controller software was accessed by the laptop to position and start the carve. If so, I can't see how you could then unplug the laptop and plug in a flash stick??

No matter really as it's only curiosity for me. I'll stick with the CW...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

brdad
01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Z travel is one of the main things I considered when deciding between the two machines. Mainly for price I bought the CW anyway and now realize that either machine could have 10 inches of Z travel but if your bit only has an inch of cutting edge that extra travel only helps with thicker material, not the depth of the actual carve.

While I have not had the need to as of yet, I can't help but think the CW could carve a bit deeper, perhaps with multiple passes. But it is still limited to bit length and any obstruction from the Z truck / router body.

ncamp
01-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Chris,

After I posted that last night, I believe it was a guy at Rockler that told me that. After watching a couple of videos on the unit, I believe that he was mistaken.

So, please ignore my last post.

By the way, I wonder when I turned back into a junior member???

ChrisAlb
01-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Nathan,

Yea, according to the video he had to be mistaken.

LOL, it must be sometime since you've been in here. The member rankings changed some time ago for whatever reason. No matter though. As (I believe it was either Alex or Barry) said, it's not the rank that matters but the content of the posts. Yours have always been good ones!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

brdad
01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I believe the early versions of the CNC Shark had to be connected to a computer, that is probably where any confusion is.

ChrisAlb
01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I believe the early versions of the CNC Shark had to be connected to a computer, that is probably where any confusion is.

Confusion?? Well, perhaps but according to that demo video I watched yesterday which I believe was on the latest and greatest, that laptop was hooked to it from the start and remained so throughout the carve.

brdad
01-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Perhaps I read somewhere they were working on it, who knows. No doubt there is a lack of answers - I think that's one big thing that steered me toward CW - The abundance of answers right here.

I did notice one page stating the shark was USB interface with memory storage on the controller. Perhaps files can be stored there but still need a computer connected to run the machine.

Either way, I feel more and more glad I got the CW.

Dan-Woodman
01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
And did you guys notice that the operator had to manually turn on and off the 1/4" only router that doen't come with it?
later Daniel

Kenm810
01-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Wonder what it would be like trying to carve Chris's
"Yankee Stadium Facade" on the Shark CNC Routing System
or any large intricate sign or pattern carving project with cutouts.

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey you guys ... don't fall for it! I bought one before I found out about Carvewright. It has separate software. Standard G-Code stuff. they are still spaming me for upgrades. If you notice the wires run off to nowhere when you see it working. That is because they go to an open controller system that you would build yourself off the internet, I had to put together my own breadboard to hold all the controller stuff. Still had to connect to a ribbon cable with a printer port end on it with a standard printer cable. And the posting software is separate too. If you think you have a learning curve to CarveWright, wait til you try the software they say is "included". After I spent $1,000.00 on tutor software and upgrades I still wasn't half as good with it as I need to be to do what I wanted to do with it. I finally sold mine for half of what I had into it and the software and bought this fantastic Carvewright. If you need something that has that much of a "z" I would NOW look at Shopbot or something like that instead.