PDA

View Full Version : 3/16" Roman Ogee and Designer Preview Incorrect?

jlitz
01-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Quite awhile ago I purchased the "full bit set" from LHR but never got around to using a couple bits until recently, such as the Roman Ogee bits.

I've recently noticed the rout preview in Designer does not match the actual 3/16" Roman Ogee bit. The dimensions of the tip do not appear to match. Designer thinks the tip of the bit is 3/8" in diameter and at least 1/8" in depth. The tip of the actual bit I received is the same diameter (3/8") but only about 1/16" in depth. (The 1/8" Roman Ogee preview and actual bit dimensions appear to agree.)

If anyone else has a 3/16" Roman Ogee, can you check the dimensions and possibly post a picture so I can compare? I've attached a picture of both my Roman Ogee bits.

I'm trying to figure out if my bit is incorrect or if Designer (1.131 and earlier) is wrong.

brdad
01-02-2009, 06:07 AM
My bits look similar, and the bit preview does not agree. I also applied both bits to a project in Designer at the same depth to measure what it thinks it is carving. Designer says .11 inches for the 1/8 inch bit, which is very close to 7/64" and .13 inches for the 3/16 inch bit, which is closer to 1/8" than it is to 1/16" as you measured.

Jeff_Birt
01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
There are a few bits where the preview does not quite match the actual bit profile. Another bit I know of with this problem is the 1/16" carving bit. The preview in Designer does not accurately represent the bit's taper. I think the SW crew has this on their radar.