PDA

View Full Version : Cannot keep the bit

jonm3
01-01-2009, 02:08 PM
I can not keep the bit in the QC, I go to check to make sure it is in....then it falls out in my hand. Any idea's?

mister_zed
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I can not keep the bit in the QC, I go to check to make sure it is in....then it falls out in my hand. Any idea's?

Check if there is any sawdust in the QC. I have a small piece of wood that I usually tap at the QC to remove sawdust clogged in it.

So my advice is to gently tap the QC, twice, then try to vacuum it - and then move it up and down a couple of times... and tap again... and vacuum again... :-)

That should amend your problem. :)

jonm3
01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I will check that, I did blow out saw dust about half hour ago. I have ordered a new adapter, bit. I am going to replace the one that came with it, the head some how got worn, so the QC may not be holding the bit adapter in. I quit for the day since its New Years Day.

jcorder
01-01-2009, 02:54 PM
If you continue to have problems after a good cleaning, I would start to consider changing out the QC. Look at your bit adapter and make sure it does not have BB marks on it.

good luck
Jeff

mtylerfl
01-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Hello,

As Jeff mentioned - check to see if your adaptor(s) has BB marks. If so, then your QC has been damaged and will need to be replaced ($30) along with your adaptors ($10 ea.) that have the BB indentations. Replacing one without the other will cause damage to each-other almost immediately.

You may already know this - That type of damage is almost always traced to using the machine when the bits were not fully seated (or after a relatively l-o-n-g time of use which is normal wear-and-tear, or after very heavy-duty useage).

To ensure that your bits are properly seated, use a mirror and a flashlight to look under the QC. You will see two red marks. If the red marks are "touching" then the bit is fully seated - if they are not, then reinstall the bit and check again.

jonm3
01-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks, I will look at that. If it has BB then I will replace it. Thanks for the information.

ruggybear
01-01-2009, 10:16 PM
If your adapter has BB marks (dimples) then you probably also need to change out the QC as reccommended by LHR.

jonm3
01-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I am going to replace the QC, it did have BB marks. I picked up another QC from Sears today. I am going to be watching the weather before starting up, plus I am waiting on my 5 bits from Sears. Then I can have enough to do some nice work.

jcorder
01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I am going to replace the QC, it did have BB marks. I picked up another QC from Sears today. I am going to be watching the weather before starting up, plus I am waiting on my 5 bits from Sears. Then I can have enough to do some nice work.

Be sure to have the proper tools lined up before you begin the attempt to change the QC. Here is the pdf in case you do not have it.

http://forum.carvewright.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=11472&d=1208226514

Good luck
Jeff

ruggybear
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Better check that QC from Sears. There have been posts on this forum that the Sears QC will not work on the Compucarve/CarveWright. You need to order the QC from CarveWright for the machine. Use the search feature and check out QC related posts.

jonm3
01-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Where on Carve Wright Store would be the Quick Change, I am not seeing it. I have only seen the bits.

Kenm810
01-03-2009, 07:32 AM
The QC Chuck, like most machine parts, is not listed in the CW Store,
you will have to call and order it by Phone 1-713-473-6572

Quick Change Chuck A005-00033 $29.95

ChrisAlb
01-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Perhaps LHR will add this in the future. It sure would be nice and I believe it would free up a lot of staff phone time for those of us who just want to order the parts we know we need without any warranty concerns.

jonm3
01-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I will call them on Monday, then get the right one.
Thanks.

Dan-Woodman
01-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Good thinking Jonm3
The QC from sears is for hand held routers however the adapters will work with your CC/CW.
later Daniel

jonm3
01-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't need be getting screwed by Sears over a wrong part. I figured today, that LHR would be closed. So I will wait until Monday.
Oh I asked about using my CW to level a cutting board I made. I cut the cutting board down to 12 inches after hearing not to use the CW. I heard something on my planer go poppppppppppp, then wizzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It was the hold down for the blades. Scared the you know what out of me. I went and buoght a new planer, the other one was 6 years old.
The new planer level the cutting board so nice, now I just have to sand the cutting board down. Then may be build so many to go to a craft fair in Virginia.

Dan-Woodman
01-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey That doesn't sound like a good noise!! Glad you got it figured out. As far as just making a board thinner, the planer is your best thing, but if your board is twisted (warped) you can flatten it out on the CW. Just make a sled, attach the board, and create a carve region or vector lines for a bit to follow.
later Daniel