PDA

View Full Version : Contour Help please ... newbie alert

mjc4art
01-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Hello,

I have been going nuts going through as many threads as I can find, info on the web site and the manual I printed up. Using the arc tool and spline tool, how do you get a contour? I'm looking to use the two tools so I can do the radius on a guitar fingerboard and for the profile on the back of the neck.

I can do the shape I want on the front of the board but I can't do it on the sides?

ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

pine acres woodshop
01-01-2009, 07:13 AM
You have to do your contour for the sides of the neck from the back, you can't carve anything from the side. If you have your radius on the fingerboard click the R button to flip the piece over then set the contour of the back of the neck. If you are making the neck from a piece of 2" x 3" stock you might be able to make seperate programs for the top, sides, and back, I have never tried this, it would be complicated to get everything lined up properly and the machine has it's limitations, it's carving depth is only .800". I know on my acoustic guitar necks the head stock would prevent this from working because of it's width, but if your carving a tele or strat style neck it can be done. You will still have to do some hand shaping ( I love that part anyway) good luck.
Mark

ChrisAlb
01-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I have to agree with Mark. A little filing and sanding would be needed for the sides but as a basic "how to" to contour both the front and back, here ya go.

I have no clue what the actual dimensions of a guitar neck are so this is just a 2-1/2" wide rectangle centered both front and back on a 1-1/2" thick board.

pine acres woodshop
01-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Nicely done Chris, that will give a good idea on how to do it.
Mark

mjc4art
01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
First off thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated. It's nice to see what this machine is capable of doing. And actually what I want it to do is probably easier than what you posted. I do have another question, I tried working on the end of the board and the arc or spline tool won't open up? Also, I'm looking to have it do a contour on the front leaving the bottom flat as I glue on fingerboards 95% of the time.

Basically I want to do a paddle head like in this photo, but have the paddle head at the heel as well. Then I can use my templates to cut out the desired headstock and heel myself.
http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pub/files/necks/.thumbnails/1190042346_BRBLANK_w450_h400.jpg

The neck blank I work with 30" long 4" wide and 15/16" thick.

I just don't know what I am doing wrong that I can't get the tools to open on the end of the boards?

Thanks again for any advice or help that can be offered.

pine acres woodshop
01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Are you looking for something like this;

Mark

mjc4art
01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Mark,

That is exactly what I am looking to do. I'm sorry for the newbie questions but how did you get the arc tool to work. I am just getting a flat image on mine? Also, I'm looking to have it taper so it's a little thinner on the left hand side, or where the headstock will be. Is that possible?

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

marshall

Jeff_Birt
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
The arc tool just draws a line, or a vector path to be more precise. To this path you apply a bit by choosing its type and depth of cut. Alternatively you can set a 'Depth Profile' (with the tool of the same name) to control how the bit is taken from the top of the board to carving depth of the length of the path. There are several options.

Ike
01-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Are you looking for something like this;

Mark

Mark, that is absolutely soooooo cool!

Ike

pine acres woodshop
01-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks Ike. Hey every once in awhile even a blind squirrel gets a nut.
Mark

pine acres woodshop
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Mark,

That is exactly what I am looking to do. I'm sorry for the newbie questions but how did you get the arc tool to work. I am just getting a flat image on mine? Also, I'm looking to have it taper so it's a little thinner on the left hand side, or where the headstock will be. Is that possible?

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

marshall

I just drew a small arc on one end, say the top left, clicked mirror all then connected the arcs with a straight line, selected the cutting bit and depth. You could make it taper to one end, when you draw the radius for the back of the neck, (I used a rectangle for the sample) use the connected line tool and make a tapered rectangle ( isosceles trapezoid maybe, I don't know), add your carve region, select your surface, vertical dome, set your depth I used 3/4" then set the height, I used 800, you could use any number, for the arcs, on one end go from the edge to the tapered rectangle then mirror vertical, do the same for the other end, then connect the arcs with straight lines, set bit and depth. your done. Thats the short of it. Hope it helps.
Mark

mjc4art
01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Mark and jeff .... thank you both ... I will work on it tonight when I get home. Sorry for the newbie questions, I am not a computer guy. Hell, I still love film and a dark room.

Marshall
I will post photo's of a finished product once I figure it all out.

redeye_joe
02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I have downloaded the contour file and open it, but I dont see how/where you added the arch that determines your cut patch,, seem to be struggling with the same problem he is, I can get arch tool to work on end of board, where you can see the profile of the carve??
Anyone understand.. hehe...