PDA

View Full Version : My Christmas project

tackytim
12-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Here is a picture frame I made for a Christmas present. I started back in September and had my Z truck break, then after fixing that had my controller board go, so it did take a while to finish, but I was happy to get it finished and the recipient of the gift was very happy. The picture in the frame is a Norman Rockwell.

All the carvings were .312 deep and were applied to the frame. the frame measures 26 x 26.

eromran
12-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Here is a picture frame I made for a Christmas present. I started back in September and had my Z truck break, then after fixing that had my controller board go, so it did take a while to finish, but I was happy to get it finished and the recipient of the gift was very happy. The picture in the frame is a Norman Rockwell.

All the carvings were .312 deep and were applied to the frame. the frame measures 26 x 26.
Great looking frame. You can always tell a Norman Rockwell some how. What is the white light in the second picture does'nt quit look like a flash?

Eagle Hollow
12-31-2008, 03:04 PM
A beautiful, classy, classic style. Kenm810 might use that for some of his restorations.

Thanks for sharing your ncie project.

Kenm810
12-31-2008, 03:20 PM
A nice example of an americana style frame of the right period
for a WWII Rockwell painting. A really nice Project and a Great Gift.
Thanks for Sharing your Photos

Oh and Eagle Hollow (Jerry) I do look at every project, searching
for ideas for my type of work, and I have found many here.

HelpBot3000
12-31-2008, 03:26 PM
You can always tell a Norman Rockwell some how.

That's funny, I was looking at it before I read any of the replies and I was thinking "Hey, is that a Rockwell? It looks great in there." Awesome looking frame with a fantastic picture inside of it.

tackytim
12-31-2008, 06:29 PM
The white light in the second picture is the ceiling light in my living room. I don't have a photo booth so I was trying to get good pictures of it without getting glare on the frame from the finish.

mtylerfl
12-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Here is a picture frame I made for a Christmas present...

Beautiful! What is the wood and finish you used? Very professional-looking.

tackytim
12-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Beautiful! What is the wood and finish you used? Very professional-looking.

The wood is cherry. I'm not a big fan of staining cherry, but this project seemed to call for it. The cherry was free from my uncle-in-law who had a tree cut down and had it drying for years. It was free which is always the best wood to use :)

Not sure exactly what kind of stain it is. I am a high end cabinet maker by trade and we had some stain left over from a job called "Merlot". It is a commercial grade stain so as soon as you wipe it off, you can pretty much finish right away unlike 6 - 8 hours of drying for Minwax, etc. The top coat is just Minwax spray laquer.

mtylerfl
12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
The wood is cherry. I'm not a big fan of staining cherry, but this project seemed to call for it. The cherry was free from my uncle-in-law who had a tree cut down and had it drying for years. It was free which is always the best wood to use :)

Not sure exactly what kind of stain it is. I am a high end cabinet maker by trade and we had some stain left over from a job called "Merlot". It is a commercial grade stain so as soon as you wipe it off, you can pretty much finish right away unlike 6 - 8 hours of drying for Minwax, etc. The top coat is just Minwax spray laquer.

Thank you for the info - that's the kind of stain I want - the kind you can finish almost right away!! I'll need to search the web to see if I can find a source.

EDIT: I found Olympic Premium Fast Dry Stain "designed for professionals". (http://www.olympic.com/stain_products/interior_stains/premium_fast_dry_stain/index.htm)Olympic's website says you can apply a topcoat in as little as 2 hours! (They listed Lowe's as a distributor of the Olympic stains, but I'm wondering if they'll really have the pro-stuff in the stores or not.)