PDA

View Full Version : Inlace for inlay

liquidguitars
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Inlace, 2 part mix, is nice way to give some detail on Carvewright projects, I am testing it out on my guitars necks right now and is holding up well.

fast to use and looks kind of cool when sanded flush..

LG

Dan-Woodman
12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Very nice LG
Thats something I haven't tried yet but have been wanting to. And now with the cw we can make all kinds of fancy grooves.
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
12-31-2008, 11:11 AM
WOW.... Great Idea....

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=146-669&gclid=CIjaioes65cCFQJHxwodLnc_Dg

AL

HelpBot3000
12-31-2008, 11:16 AM
LG,

Looks great! Impressive as always. If you get any more projects done and use this technique I'd love to see some more pictures of the end results.

mtylerfl
12-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Inlace, 2 part mix, is nice way to give some detail on Carvewright projects, I am testing it out on my guitars necks right now and is holding up well.

fast to use and looks kind of cool when sanded flush..

LG

That is really COOL! Adds a whole new level of fun and good looks!

Digitalwoodshop
12-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Here is a thought.... Inlace on Corian......

AL

FiddlemakerMills
12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Really nice LG

I have been thinking about using this on some tailpieces. Thanks for the info.

Carl

Digitalwoodshop
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Like body putty, too much hardener can cause heat and spontaneous combustion.... But correct use will cause no problems.

From the pdf.

Nice,

AL

ftp://pdfwood:download@www.woodworker.com/InLaceInstructions.pdf

Kenm810
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
My pea brain is swimming with ideas for CW Chip Cut projects using the V-Groove bits and vector line tools.
Wow Thanks for sharing LG, and Thanks for the sites Al http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Just a Photo

pine acres woodshop
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
That is cool. I thought about using that on some of my acoustics, I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
Mark

liquidguitars
12-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys, I would have a hard time doing it with a free hand router :)

I never saw the gold chips inlace hmm.. thanks Al for the link..

LG

pine acres woodshop
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Grizzly also sells inlace.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=235020

Deolman
12-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Here is another link to inlace:

http://www.inlacebook.com/index.html

Follow the link down the left side to "Artists Galleries".

L.G., someone else in the gallery uses it on their guitars as well.

FiddlemakerMills
12-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey every one, Grizzly has discounted and will discontinue this item from their catalog.

The Gold is 9.00, and silver is 9.50. ea.

Just ordered mine.

liquidguitars
12-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Here is a thought.... Inlace on Corian......

I think this guitar is made from Corian and Inlace by the Fender custom shop or its real marble and gold I not sure..

LG

FiddlemakerMills
12-31-2008, 10:38 PM
8) LG

I am going to do a dragon inlay on the tailpice after the shipment gets he.
I hope it comes out as good as that one.

Happy New year.

Carl

LollyWood
12-31-2008, 10:50 PM
LG. Carl,
Excuse a really dumb question. I've never done any instramanets. Can you really make a body outa corian? :confused:
This stuff never ceases to amaze me.

pine acres woodshop
01-01-2009, 07:24 AM
You could make a guitar body out of anything, if you have the vision, and or crazyness to try it, don't know how it would sound, But sure why not.
Mark

FiddlemakerMills
01-01-2009, 08:48 AM
LG. Carl,
Excuse a really dumb question. I've never done any instramanets. Can you really make a body outa corian? :confused:
This stuff never ceases to amaze me.

Bernie

Use your imagination, with this machine the possiablites are limitless. I have to agree with Mark about the sound. I think that LG will give a better answer so I will leave it for him. I only do the violins and fiddles.

Carl

Eagle Hollow
01-01-2009, 10:05 AM
I just can't imagine a guitar with a Corian body being practical. The weight would make it a burden to bear! I played a Fender Jaguar for years. At 8.5 pounds it was not comfortable on four forty-five minute sets. One with a Corian body, I'm guessing, would weigh 12 to 14 pounds.

You can't really tell from the picture but looks like it could be a hammered finish paint?

Ken Dolph
01-01-2009, 01:23 PM
In 1996 the Fender Custom Shop made six or seven All Corian guitars. I have only seen five of them. They went on a world tour. If the one pictured in Liquidguitar's post is one of them it was done before Inlace was set free from the dental business. Yes it was for decorating teeth.

The Fender Corian guitars had one claim to fame besides the design and that was that they all played identical. Fender had never done that before. I used to have the articles on them but I lost them about 5 years ago in a move.

Acoustic guitars have been made of 1/8" Corian and they are supposed to sound wonderful. But since the thinnest that Corian comes is 1/4" and the best colors only come in 1/2" stock there is some milling to do. But assembly and heat bending the sides would take no time at all.

An easy substitute for Inlace is crushed corian or Stone, applied as a powder. Then you apply wicking grade CA. In an hour you sand off the excess.

If you want the duPont booklet "Working with Corian in the Home Workshop", give me a call 1-800-724-4008

I hope this helps
Ken