PDA

View Full Version : need some help

cjsmith
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I am trying to put 7 fleur-de-lis on a board 81 3/4 inch long X 5 1/2" wide , equally spaced with the two on each end about 1 1/2" in from each end with the fourth one centered on the board. I can do the math but how do I make all 7 equally spaced and in line with one another and the same size , new to this Thanks C.J.Smith

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I am trying to put 7 fleur-de-lis on a board 81 3/4 inch long X 5 1/2" wide , equally spaced with the two on each end about 1 1/2" in from each end with the fourth one centered on the board. I can do the math but how do I make all 7 equally spaced and in line with one another and the same size , new to this Thanks C.J.Smith

Hello CJ,

I often find it helpful to use the Snap/Grid function and the Align tools for the sort of task you describe. Do you know how to use those? If not, let us know and we can help you with that. (I think there's some good info about those tools in the Designer software Help menu, too.)

cjsmith
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
can anyone tell me Exactly how to align several patterns (fleur de Lis in this case) along a board , equally spaced , as in mouldings , one would think that this is one of the more common reasons for having a Carvewright ???

AskBud
12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
can anyone tell me Exactly how to align several patterns (fleur de Lis in this case) along a board , equally spaced , as in mouldings , one would think that this is one of the more common reasons for having a Carvewright ???
Start by going to VIEW > TOGGLE GRID LINES.
Now. click LAYOUT > SNAP.
On that screen, set the distance between lines and then check the box for "Snap objects to Grid".

Let's see if this gets you where you need to be.
AskBud

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 09:57 PM

Hello CJ,

You can use the Snap/Grid function first, to space all the items on the board equally. Just set your grid spacing to whatever the math works out for the even spacing of your patterns.

You could likely use the Snap/Grid to align them as well, but if not....

...you can marquee-select all the patterns (or just press Ctrl-A to Select All). While all items are selected, right-click to reveal the context menu and choose Align/Align Tops so that all items are exactly aligned with each other.

Does that help? Let us know if things are still not clear.

Woodhacker
12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
One way to accomplish the spacing and get it exact it to lay it out in Corel Draw. Draw out a rectangle the size of your board and import the fleur-de-lis artwork. Place itwhere you want it and then copy it six times. Use the align and distribute function to achieve this. It would have to be imported in Illustrator to make it into a .png file. then import it into Designer and there ya go!!!

Dan-Woodman
12-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Woodhacker
So are you saying that corel draw will not make png files?
I was considering getting it ,but it sounds like I would have to have Illustrater too to make it a png.
later Daniel

jcorder
12-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Dan,
I think I have read that you can export a png our of Corel. I hope so anyway, I just bought it off Ebay and it is on the way! If no one else posts an answer to that, I will let you know after I get it.

Jeff

Jon Jantz
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I use Coreldraw X3 and X4... and both export to a .PNG just fine. Photopaint will save to a .PNG also.

Much better format to use than JPG....

jcorder
12-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks Jon, I feel a lot better about my purchase now!

JOHNB
12-31-2008, 06:53 AM

whoa, stop the presses. i mean the carvewrights. you say that you're coming in 1 1/2" from each end? big mistake, especially with that length of board. you need 3 1/2" from each end to keep board under the rollers. read your manual and the "tips and tricks" on the carvewright site to help you get thru the usual mistakes. also when the top of mach. will not lower, stick a small rod in the threaded shaft screw, and turn by hand to lower a little. it's in the manual. LOL. michael, michael, michael, how did you miss this one. LOL. LOL. tell him what issue it's in? ps. keep up the good work.
pss. welcome back jon.
the more i read your o.p. the more i try to redo my math?

mtylerfl
12-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Hello,

Thanks JohnB - you're absolutely right to bring it up, just in case he does not know about those basic procedures!

I think we all assumed that he was stating the finished size of the project as laid out in Designer and that he would add the extra 7" to his real board before placing it into the machine.

That's a mighty long board and I also assume he knows that he'll have to have accurately placed outfeed support to run the project without board binding/lifting/gravity dropping/shifting.

But, you know what they say..."never assume"!!

So, CJ, if you don't already know what we're talking about, please read the Dec '07 Tips & Tricks before running the project.

(Thanks again, JohnB!)

andes
12-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Dan,
I think I have read that you can export a png our of Corel. I hope so anyway, I just bought it off Ebay and it is on the way! If no one else posts an answer to that, I will let you know after I get it.

Jeff

Yes, you can export to .png in Corel Draw.

Woodhacker
12-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Dan...Corel will export a file as a .png but not save a file as such. Actually, I think I will make the file CJ needs and upload it as am .mpc file. After getting so much info from the forum it feels pretty good to be able to contribute some!!!

Woodhacker
12-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Woodhacker
So are you saying that corel draw will not make png files?
I was considering getting it ,but it sounds like I would have to have Illustrater too to make it a png.
later Daniel

This is just a quickie...didn;t have a fleur-de-lis handy so subbed a flower instead. Just to give you an idea.

Digitalwoodshop
12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
You can adjust the Grid size to the spacing then use snap to grid and lay out the lines and assign a bit in designer. No need to use Corel.

AL