PDA

View Full Version : Designer problems..WHY?

Ike
12-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Ok took out a bunch of saved patterns and that solved the crashing problem. Still having the same issue when I start the designer the help box comes up and yes I unchecked the box so it won't. Then all my settings are gone my memory is reset back to 16mb. Plus I have to update my patterns I bought from the pattern store.

What is causing this?

Ike

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Without someone being there to examine your computer personally, it is very difficult to troubleshoot a problem like that from a distance.

Give LHR Tech Support a call. Perhaps you'll get lucky and get a Tech that has come across a similar issue before and can offer some possible solutions.

Ike
12-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Without someone being there to examine your computer personally, it is very difficult to troubleshoot a problem like that from a distance.

Give LHR Tech Support a call. Perhaps you'll get lucky and get a Tech that has come across a similar issue before and can offer some possible solutions.
Thanks was hoping somebody would know. I am thinking it might be some software I installed to improve the performance of my computer. Thing is nothing else is effected.

Ike

Jeff_Birt
12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Ike, what OS are you using?

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks was hoping somebody would know. I am thinking it might be some software I installed to improve the performance of my computer. Thing is nothing else is effected.

Ike

We need specific info, Ike. What software did you install? Is that when the problem began occurring? Did you install any other software or hardware? As Jeff asked, what OS are you using?

If the problem occurred immediately after installing "whatever-it-was" - uninstall it and see if the problem goes away.

Ike
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
We need specific info, Ike. What software did you install? Is that when the problem began occurring? Did you install any other software or hardware? As Jeff asked, what OS are you using?

If the problem occurred immediately after installing "whatever-it-was" - uninstall it and see if the problem goes away.

Guess I didn't answer quick enough! :-D Vista and system mechanic. No it did not start immediately after installing new software. Noticed it just recently.

Ike

Jeff_Birt
12-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Try to right click on your Designer icon and use "Run as administrator".

Ike
12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Try to right click on your Designer icon and use "Run as administrator".

I did that and it loaded it the same way, start up box appear, and minimized. What do I do now?

Ike

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Guess I didn't answer quick enough! :-D Vista and system mechanic. No it did not start immediately after installing new software. Noticed it just recently.

Ike

Hopefully, running as Admin will help. If not, I would do a System Restore to a point before you installed System Mechanic, then see if Designer is working properly for you again. In some cases, those kinds of "performance booster" programs can mess with your registry and foul things up. They often "like" to delete dll's that they think you no longer need!

Ike
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
samething again I need to update my purchased pattern license

Ike
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Hopefully, running as Admin will help. If not, I would do a System Restore to a point before you installed System Mechanic, then see if Designer is working properly for you again. In some cases, those kinds of "performance booster" programs can mess with your registry and foul things up. They often "like" to delete dll's that they think you no longer need!

Thanks I will try that.

Ike

Jeff_Birt
12-30-2008, 01:07 PM
It may be that the other program you added is preventing Designer from writing to the registry. Try removing it.

Ike
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the help admin. seemed to work. Will see if it stays the same when I reboot.

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
12-30-2008, 07:45 PM
My thinking is Vista is a 64 bit system and XP is a 32 bit system. I believe Win 95 was a 16 bit system. Think of it as a 64 bit toll booth and a 32 bit program like designer, it's doing 2 instructions at a time. I could be wrong here.....

AL

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
My thinking is Vista is a 64 bit system and XP is a 32 bit system. I believe Win 95 was a 16 bit system. Think of it as a 64 bit toll booth and a 32 bit program like designer, it's doing 2 instructions at a time. I could be wrong here.....

AL

Most folks run Vista in 32-bit mode. Primarily because hardware support for 64-bit can be iffy or absent.

I really want to run Vista 64-bit, but none of the MIDI and Audio hardware in my recording studio has Vista 64-bit drivers available.

FiddlemakerMills
12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
I am having the same problem with the autocad 2008. Removed vista and reinstalled windows XP everything works right now.

liquidguitars
12-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Ok took out a bunch of saved patterns and that solved the crashing problem.

that seems to do it..

Still having the same issue when I start the designer the help box comes up and yes I unchecked the box so it won't. Then all my settings are gone my memory is reset back to 16mb. Plus I have to update my patterns I bought from the pattern store. What is causing this?

Could be that a "Vista update" deleted some reg files along with your config file loacation. I would reninstall Designer..

I just had a 3D program reset its config file a few days ago 2 Hmm..

LG

Ike
12-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone, running it in admin. has solved the issues. Ty Jeff.

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
12-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Can someone explain Admin Mode for me? Is it running without all the safeguards the program has to be hijacked by a spy ware? Does the trigger happy vista think Designer at times is an intruder?

I am trying to stay XP because of all the equipment but wanted to learn about Vista.

AL

mtylerfl
12-31-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm certainly no expert, so take this explanation with a grain of salt.

The way I understand it, Admin Mode enables full control over your computer as well as certain software functions to freely be able to write to the registry and perform other such "deeper level" tasks.

If you are in regular "User Mode" the computer is restricted as to what it can and cannot do. For example, you can restrict your kids (or anyone else) from installing programs that you might not want by relegating them to "User Mode". If an attempt is made to install, they would get a prompt saying something like "You need Administrator Privilages to perform this operation" or something along those lines.

However, you can enter Admin Mode to release any restrictions and install and/or delete programs freely, etc. I also think that in User Mode, it can help protect you somewhat from unauthorized software installation attempts from hacked websites and such, since the computer is under certain "restriction" overall.

We have several computers here - all are run in Admin Mode - except one. My in-laws', who are from Maine and live with us 5-6 months out of the year, sometimes would "make mistakes" and foul up their system from time to time. So, I have it set up for them to run in User Mode to minimize those occurences.

Any computer experts out there that can explain it a little better (or make correction to my understanding of it)?

Jeff_Birt
12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Administrator mode on Vista is Just like XP. It lets you have free access to screw anything you want up. You can set up accounts on either OS to be a 'regular' user who can't install most programs or change system settings etc, or an administrator who can do everything (i.e. really screw stuff up), or the account have have permissions anywhere in between.

From a security standpoint it is a bit safer to run as a regular user most of the time, in XP it is a real PITA to try and install programs etc temporarily as as administrator (Yes XP does have 'Run As').

The important thing to remember is that when logged in as a regular user you can't make system level changes. So, you can't write to certain areas of the registry or access certain parts of the file system (for writing.) So when logged in as a regular user Designer can't write to the system level part of the registry to save your licensing information etc.

In Vista they have made running as a regular user really convenient for about 95% of what most folks will ever do. If you need greater permissions to install a program you then get prompted for the admin password. It is very easy and seamless. You also have the option of shutting off the whole UAC (user access control) system so it works just like XP.

Digitalwoodshop
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks Jeff !!!

AL

Eagle Hollow
12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Does anyone have some Excederin for this headache I've gotten trying to understand this stuff????

Ike
12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Learn something new every day!!

Ike

Ike
12-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Thought I would share this from Omar at LHR

Though we are not listed as being compatible with Windows Vista, I have done some research that may assist you with your problem. The following steps should get you up and running.

1. Remove the CarveWright Designer program from your computer.

2. Click the following link www.carvewright.com/update, choose the full version for windows, select "Save", and choose the desktop icon.

3. Right-click the icon you just downloaded and choose to "Run as Administrator". If a prompt displays requesting permission to install the application, click Permit to continue the installation. If the installation succeeds, go to Step 6.

4. If the application installation fails and no installation permission prompt displayed, right-click the installer .exe file, click the Run this program as administrator option, and re-install the application. If the installation succeeds, go to Step 7.

5. If you receive any errors related to the operating system version, application registration, or file copy, right-click the installer .exe file, click Compatibility, and then choose the Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

6. Start the application. If the application does not start properly or displays errors, enable the Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode for the application .exe file, and then try to install it again on the operating system.

7. If the application starts successfully, run through the full suite of tests that you would typically use to test it on a computer running Windows XP. Verify your application functionality to confirm that it performs properly. If the application passes all major functionality tests, the application works.

8. If the application does not install and start successfully you will need to contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft.

For more information about Windows Vista Compatibility click the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/security/application_compatibility.mspx

After opening the program should you have a gui.exe crash then do one or all of the following:

1. In your CarveWright Designer Software Go to Edit > Preferences and under Memory Cache settings change the number 256.

2. In your CarveWright Designer Software Go to Edit > Preferences > 3D Graphics and under Hardware Acceleration, select ‘Off’

I hope this information has been clear and helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Omar

CarveWright/CompuCarve Support Team

(713) 473-6572