PDA

View Full Version : Up and Running!

oldfogey
12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
I have purposely kept a low profile here in the forum until I felt like I could add something to the discussion. I now think I can. Praise for the machine, the software and the people behind it. I will also open myself up for discussion of any topic related to CarveWright and its potential. Let me say up front that my interest is commercial at least to the point of paying for the hobby, helping CarveWrights and their service become available across the country.

I bought a Sears Remanufactured and found that to be a little trying. The first machine delivered arrived with dust throughout and missing items. Sears graciously took it back and sent another. It arrived whole except that within minutes of operating the machine a few nuts and bolts fell out of the interior. I have yet to discover if they are now missing from their position or just leftovers.

The second machine has been running and teaching me for about two weeks. I have done several carvings from clip art, more from personal photos, at least one bird house and sundry other test runs. This machine is SUPER! I find the on board utilities (cut, join, measure, etc.) to be very useful. They also lead me to be more organized in developing projects. I have been into the mechanics of the flex shaft; the motor end left its housing. This incident helped me assure proper lube and cleaning of the shaft. It also convinced me that an extra shaft was needed in my drawer of spares. I also have gone through the jammed or clutching chuck problem and have benefitted from a major cleaning and care of the chuck.

My next step is to purchase a second machine. I am torn between buying a rehab and a completely new unit, this time from CarveWright direct. During my initial trek through CarveWright Country I discovered that the people at CarveWright in Houston have been very helpful. They must have the best Customer Service in Texas. Maybe anywhere.

If I see a shortcoming or suggestion it would be for a better dust removal system. I have tried creating a vacuum beneath the machine, no good. I have seen a modification to the cover with a vacuum adapter but don't like the position or the possible conflict with operation. There has to be a way to get the dust out without constantly monitoring for buildup. Contrary to advice I keep letting my machine work on its own and I have not been disappointed.

I look forward to becoming a part of this community and will be writing more as time goes by. I am more into birdhouses, furniture, knicknacks and reproductions than just plain carving but I see potential for the CarveWright in creating some mighty fancy heirlooms. Thank all of you for being here!

FiddlemakerMills
12-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Welcome Jerry

There is so much info here just about anything you ask help with someone will assist you.

Carl

Jeff_Birt
12-30-2008, 11:03 AM
I have tried creating a vacuum beneath the machine, no good

You need a real dust collection system for this and most other woodworking machinery to generate enough volume of air. I have a $260 1250cfm unit from Grizzley: http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Dust-Collector-w-2-5-Micron-Bag/G1029Z. It works really well when you duct it to the slot in the bottom of the machine, not the entire bottom of the machine.

AskBud
12-30-2008, 11:42 AM
You need a real dust collection system for this and most other woodworking machinery to generate enough volume of air. I have a $260 1250cfm unit from Grizzley: http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Dust-Collector-w-2-5-Micron-Bag/G1029Z. It works really well when you duct it to the slot in the bottom of the machine, not the entire bottom of the machine.
As Jeff said, the bottom port works, with the right amount of air flow.
I added a slot to my movable stand slightly larger than the opening on the machine. I then placed Weather striping (use as soft as you can find) just outside the slot. I then placed a 7" board under the slot (with a 4" circle drilled/cut close to one end). Mount 4" hardware (I got mine at Woodcraft) to that board and continue the 4" all the way back to your vacuum. I found that 2 or 3 inch does not work as well as the 4". My vacuum was designed for 4" operation. The collection will vary by the width of the wood as well as the type, and dryness, of the wood as well.
When you place the machine on the table, make sure to place the end without the touch pad over the 4" opening.
I'm also including a photo of my stand and the link to my original post about the movable stand.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=6429&highlight=movable
AskBud