PDA

View Full Version : Problem with resizing item

helendan
12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I have a Problem with resizing an item .I have enlarged it saved it but when carving the item remains small.Example enlarged item to 8x7 but carves 2x3 .What steps have I missed? Thanks

atauer
12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
First off, Welcome to our online forum. You have picked a great place to learn new and exciting things about your machine and software.

Your question is a good one. In fact, I believe that everyone in here has asked this question at one point in time.

The first thing that needs to be looked at is whether or not you are staying under rollers. When staying under rollers the machine will keep 3.5 inches of material under each roller at all times. Unless you have physically compensated for this, your project will be scaled down.

When selecting "Yes" to stay under rollers, you will need to add 7 inches to your real board than what you have designed on your software.

Example: You designed in the software a project that is 8x7. You want the machine to keep the material under the rollers. Therefore, the material you load into the machine will need to be 7 inches longer than the virtual board. So, the piece you load in will need to be 15x7, to keep the machine from shrinking down the project.

Do a quick searc for staying under rollers. You will find numerous posts regarding this subject. Each will provide you with valuable information.

Once again, Welcome, and I hope that my information has answered your questions.

fwharris
12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Helendan,

First off welcome to the forum.

It could be several things. What are the dimensions of both your board in designer and your actual carving board? The carving board should be at least 7" longer than you design board so that you are staying under the compression rollers.

When you are setting up the project at the machine do you get a message asking to "resize" the project? If you say "yes" the machine will scale the pattern down.

Sign up for the tips&tricks news letters from the main CW site. They offer a lot of good info to help you be successful with the CW. All of the back issues are posted on the CW site as well as http://carvebuddy.com

helendan
12-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you for the quick reply I will do this tonight the only other question has anyone done carving on a rifle stock with the CarveWright?

Mike Witt
12-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure if this is the recommended procedure but I design my signs on a 17" layout, then feed my machine a 24" piece of wood, stay under rollers and center on board. Always works ok but I'm building quite a collection of shorts, Hmm... maybe time to build a sled.

Mike

Digitalwoodshop
12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I made the shorts into Christmas Ornaments and small signs on a sled. Easy to use up the scraps.

AL

mtylerfl
12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure if this is the recommended procedure but I design my signs on a 17" layout, then feed my machine a 24" piece of wood, stay under rollers and center on board. Always works ok but I'm building quite a collection of shorts, Hmm... maybe time to build a sled.

Mike

That's perfect, Mike. You must actually be reading the Tips & Tricks!!

Yes, you get the "shorts" but you can avoid the waste by building a sled(s) as you mentioned (see Tips & Tricks April '08 issue).