PDA

View Full Version : 2 Sided design.

jonm3
12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Two questions: Would the Carve Wright machine carve out the back side first, then the front?
Second, Can I have my Carve Wright level a piece of wood for a cutting board?

FiddlemakerMills
12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Search "two sided design" and this will show the threads.:cool:

atauer
12-29-2008, 11:18 AM
The machine will do two-sided carves without an issue. Do a search for "two-sided design" and you will find numerous posts regarding the issue.

mtylerfl
12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Two questions: Would the Carve Wright machine carve out the back side first, then the front?

Hello Jon,

Two-sided carves always carve the back first.

For "leveling" a piece of wood, (if I'm understanding you correctly) it will be advisable use a planer or drum sander, not the CarveWright for such a purpose...you know, use the right tool for the job and all that.

jonm3
12-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks, I will check it out.

Digitalwoodshop
12-29-2008, 02:31 PM
A wedged shaped piece of wood would jam in the machine and break the X gears. If the board was on a sled with sides to prevent machine damage, you could level a board if you made a .mpc with vector lines. It would take a very long time and run your cut motor hours up. That job would be better done with a thickness planer or thickness sander.

AL

It always does the back side of the board first.

Ike
12-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Jon it is easy to carve both sides, first make sure your board is thick enough and you cutting depth is not too deep. To make it easy for you mark the edge on the keypad side. Then just flip the board to the right and make sure you put the board with the marked edge on the keypad side again. Very simple just flip the board left to right, never forward or back.

I agree with Al using the CW for a planer is too much strain and will take forever! Your best bet is to invest into a planer or a drum sander.

Ike

jonm3
12-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I am going to have it carve one side right now, then set it up to carve the back. I am making like a picture, with a frame around it. So I am going to take time to do it. I thought with carving out the back side first, then the Carve Wright would not be able to grip the back side to do the picture side. So I am doing the front side first. I will take picture of it when it is done.

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
The machine is set up to carve BOTH the front and back sides of a board from the SAME project file! Do you see the little 'F' and 'R' buttons in designer. They flip your virtual board in Designer so you can lay things out on either side. Here is a link I wrote to a tutorial on laying out a two sided project. It will give you a good idea on how to go about setting up your project properly.

And, welcome to the forum.

Ike
12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry Jon I over simplified the process. When I think of double sided signs, I think of the same print on each side. I always have just designed one side and did some simple calculation in my head to assure I did not go through the board.

One thing either way you do need to make sure you insert the board on the same edge or you will have one side upside down!

Ike

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 11:22 AM
One thing either way you do need to make sure you insert the board on the same edge or you will have one side upside down!

Ike

Ike,

Your description is not complete enough to be clear - it depends on what "edge" you're referring to.

It's simple though - a board is flipped exactly like you see it flip in Designer ...width-wise. (see pic below)

Ike
12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Ike,

Your description is not complete enough to be clear - it depends on what "edge" you're referring to.

It's simple though - a board is flipped exactly like you see it flip in Designer ...width-wise. (see pic below)
Guess you didn't read my first post, if you flip the board forward I know for a fact your print will be upside down. I lay out only one side if the print is the same on both sides. So then you flip it length wise and use the same edge you started with. That is why I said to make sure mark the edge closest to the key pad side and it will turn out correctly. I advise you test what you have said. Set some text then flip your board and set some more text and using the rotate function see what you get

Ike

fwharris
12-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I would guess it would depend what you are carving on the back side.

If it is a double sided carve of a pattern like a fish (I know how to do those), then the board should be rotated front to back and not flipped end to end. The pattern set up on your design board would be copied from the front to the back and then flipped horizontally.

I might be helpful if we could see his mpc file to see what he is trying to do.

mtylerfl
12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Very good catch, Ike.

For a two-sided carve like a 3D fish for example, or convex/concave sails of a sailboat, or the top and bottom of a F22 3D jet, or wheels with a hidden axle hole on the backside, or other similar two-sided layouts, the board must be flipped width-wise just as in Designer.

However, if you are doing a two-sided text sign, yes that is correct for the board to be flipped end-for-end instead of width-wise.
EDIT: Well, even that depends upon how it was laid out in the software, come to think of it!

Thank you very much for bringing up that important point!

Amonaug
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Correct MT, normally you'd design the back upside down so that when you flip it the text is correct.

supershingler
12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
when i design a two sided carve i drill a hole in my design in the corner through the board in designer so when i flip it i have a reference to top and bottom. im old and forgetful so it avoids the making of designer firewood

kendall

Happy New Year everyone

Ike
12-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Very good catch, Ike.

For a two-sided carve like a 3D fish for example, or convex/concave sails of a sailboat, or the top and bottom of a F22 3D jet, or wheels with a hidden axle hole on the backside, or other similar two-sided layouts, the board must be flipped width-wise just as in Designer.

However, if you are doing a two-sided text sign, yes that is correct for the board to be flipped end-for-end instead of width-wise.
EDIT: Well, even that depends upon how it was laid out in the software, come to think of it!

Thank you very much for bringing up that important point!

Was wondering about that I loaded a trout, flipped the board and exported the same pattern and they are opposite from each other. So same thing as the text. So my question is why not just use the rotate function and flip the board horizontally? Must be missing something the design on each side of the board needs to be laid out the same way. So if using the front to rear in the designer then from what I see the other side needs to be upside down to match the front side.

I am sure I am wrong, but it only makes sense to me. again I am most likely over simplifying the process?

Ike

mtylerfl
12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Was wondering about that I loaded a trout, flipped the board and exported the same pattern and they are opposite from each other. So same thing as the text. So my question is why not just use the rotate function and flip the board horizontally? Must be missing something the design on each side of the board needs to be laid out the same way. So if using the front to rear in the designer then from what I see the other side needs to be upside down to match the front side.

I am sure I am wrong, but it only makes sense to me. again I am most likely over simplifying the process?

Ike

Hello Ike,

The way I layout 2-sided projects is the front is right-side up, and the back is upside down. That way everything matches up while laying out the project in Designer as well as when the board is flipped width-wise at the machine.

I included a photo of my Trout project layout, to illustrate how I do it...

Ike
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Hello Ike,

The way I layout 2-sided projects is the front is right-side up, and the back is upside down. That way everything matches up while laying out the project in Designer as well as when the board is flipped width-wise at the machine.

Lol got ya ok my thinking was correct for once!!!!! Of a 1000 atta boys are wiped out by one...... well you know!

Still it does need to loaded in the CW on the same edge you started with on the fence on the key pad side. I just find it easier for me to rotate left to right and export the design facing the same way!

One day I am going to buy the fish project, I really like it. But like everyone money is tight and business is slow. With 4 ruptured disc I can't do too much anyway.

Enough of that thanks for showing me I not totally crazy! Happy New Year!

Ike

JOHNB
12-31-2008, 07:32 PM
jeez, i'm so freakin dizzy i don't even know which way is up now. LOL
p.s. glad to see you 2 are getting along again. LOL

ChrisAlb
01-01-2009, 07:51 AM
WOW....LOL.....I'm dizzy as well....LOL It's SO simple.

1) Place pattern on front.

2) Flip board with "R" button.

3) Place pattern on back "upside down".

Same for text. If you doubt this about text. Simply do an outline pattern & cut path around the text on the front. Then flip the board with the "R" button and look at the back.

ruggybear
01-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Then there is the address sign that has to be read from both sides when it is placed near the road. Must be able to read right side up from left to right.

Ike
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
WOW....LOL.....I'm dizzy as well....LOL It's SO simple.

1) Place pattern on front.

2) Flip board with "R" button.

3) Place pattern on back "upside down".

Same for text. If you doubt this about text. Simply do an outline pattern & cut path around the text on the front. Then flip the board with the "R" button and look at the back.

For text only, then I never flip it anyway. Because rotating the board L to R then the text is upright, but backwards! If it has the same text I just flip the board left to right and make sure the edge is placed in the machine the same way the first side went in. Then run the same project on the other side.

With the double sided projects, like Michael's I see how it is easier the flip the board to the rear. Rotating it then your image will be backwards

I was just making it easier to make a double sided sign to read the same on each side. There is no need to lay out both sides. In all cases you must load the board in the CW on the same edge you started with. Ok there is no need to lay out both sides for a double sided side that will have the carving on both sides! So carve one side flip it to the right or the left whatever! Then place the blank side into the CW on the same edge and run the project again and you will have the same name on each side and both right side up!

Ike

RanUtah
01-01-2009, 11:35 PM
If you guys would take a look at this project that I despertly need to get done. If I understand you all right once the machine carves the first side I flip the board keeping the edges on the same side as they were?

I also adjusted the depth on each carve to .375 considering it's a 1 inch board. Does that sound right or should I make it not as deep for a two sided carve. And should I feather it at all, right noe theres a 1/8 feather.

FiddlemakerMills
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
If you guys would take a look at this project that I despertly need to get done. If I understand you all right once the machine carves the first side I flip the board keeping the edges on the same side as they were?

I also adjusted the depth on each carve to .375 considering it's a 1 inch board. Does that sound right or should I make it not as deep for a two sided carve. And should I feather it at all, right noe theres a 1/8 feather.

I think that you need to center-both. To get them to line up correctly. With your mpc they were slightly off.

Use the Draw rectangle and put in a carve region around your pattern and make the depth 1/2 of the board thickness. Make the pattern addative to the rectangle.

Use the R button to flip the board and do the same on the rear. This will show you the alignment of the patterns on each side.

When you flip the board from back to front that is the way you flip the board in the machine. If I understand this correctly.

When you are happy with the alignment remove the rectangles and change the patterns to normal The depth looks fine to me. You can thicken the pattern by adjusting the height (100, 125, 150 ect.) untill you get the thickness you want.

I am sure that there will be other replies. Wait for other replies before you carve.

Carl

liquidguitars
01-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Use the Draw rectangle and put in a carve region around your pattern and make the depth 1/2 of the board thickness. Make the pattern addative to the rectangle.

Use the R button to flip the board and do the same on the rear. This will show you the alignment of the patterns on each side.

When you flip the board from back to front that is the way you flip the board in the machine. If I understand this correctly.

When you are happy with the alignment remove the rectangles and change the patterns to normal The depth looks fine to me. You can thicken the pattern by adjusting the height (100, 125, 150 ect.) untill you get the thickness you want.

I use larger size drill holes and boxes to check sometimes too, I like your idea of one transparent gage box on each side!

LG

ChrisAlb
01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
For text only, then I never flip it anyway. Because rotating the board L to R then the text is upright, but backwards! If it has the same text I just flip the board left to right and make sure the edge is placed in the machine the same way the first side went in. Then run the same project on the other side.

With the double sided projects, like Michael's I see how it is easier the flip the board to the rear. Rotating it then your image will be backwards

I was just making it easier to make a double sided sign to read the same on each side. There is no need to lay out both sides. In all cases you must load the board in the CW on the same edge you started with. Ok there is no need to lay out both sides for a double sided side that will have the carving on both sides! So carve one side flip it to the right or the left whatever! Then place the blank side into the CW on the same edge and run the project again and you will have the same name on each side and both right side up!

Ike

Oh, OK. I thought we were talking about a double sided text carve that was to be "cut out" of the board. For a double sided sign that reads right from either side, then yes, either just "end for end" the board and run the same file OR, put the text on the rear and flip the board the way Designer does. Either will produce that result.

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Michael T - I have tried to do two sided projects, but I haven't had very good luck getting them to line up from one side to the other. I am always off just a little on small sizes (8" long) and a LOT (1" or more) on larger (16" long). I center the board, make sure I follow the 7" rule, But still it doesn't align. I've checked my head pressure and every thing else I can think of. Can you think of anything I might do to get it to align?
Micheal

DocWheeler
01-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Micheal,

Although I've never had it be off by more than an eighth, I got so frustrated with it that I just make two mpcs. I did find that doing a calibration fixed things that I would not have thought it would, so you might try that.

mtylerfl
01-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Michael T - I have tried to do two sided projects, but I haven't had very good luck getting them to line up from one side to the other. I am always off just a little on small sizes (8" long) and a LOT (1" or more) on larger (16" long). I center the board, make sure I follow the 7" rule, But still it doesn't align. I've checked my head pressure and every thing else I can think of. Can you think of anything I might do to get it to align?
Micheal

Hello Micheal,

I'm not sure exactly why you're having trouble getting your two-sided carves to align. I have always been impressed with how accurately both my machines hit spot-on everytime on two-sided projects. (I have never calibrated either machine. Ya know - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Perhaps the problem could be in the design layout? Maybe you could post one or two of your mpc's that you have experienced the alignment issue with (as long as the mpc's don't contain any non-copy protected commercial patterns).

We could take a peek at your layout and see if there is any problem there or not. However, I doubt that's the case, since it would probably be obvious and you likely would have caught that yourself...

When you mentioned the amount of deviation increasing as the board length increases, it almost sounds like a mechanical tracking issue, though. Wish I could come over to observe exactly what's going on so I could be of more help.

Are you a Project Subscriber? If so, have you tried running any of the two-sided Subscriber Projects? Those projects are aligned perfectly, so if they didn't work, then we can know for sure it is something mechanical - either with the boards themselves, board loading method, or with some component of the machine.

One easy thing to check is to inspect your brass roller. There is a 7/16" rubber O-ring on it. It should be nice and rounded - if the surface looks "flattened" in any area, then that could throw off the tracking.

Let us know how we can help you further.

Digitalwoodshop
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I looked at the .mpc and the first thing I did was select the front pattern and select Outline. Then select Cut Path. Flip Cut Path to move the cut line to the outside, then I select depth of cut to .25.

I then flipped the board view and looked at the alignment of the back side pattern and adjusted the pattern into the cut out from the front.

I am delivering a batch of signs and used the measurement method to get the text to line up in the back but the centering would work too since text is not cut thought.

AL

liquidguitars
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Nice AL,
you have got the look down for sure...

Lg

AWoodsmith
01-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Jeff,

I checked out that site but found no tutorials...

Ed

Jeff_Birt
01-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Sorry, I forgot to add the project file . So many things to do and so little time...

Here is the link to the Apple Box project: http://soigeneris.com/tutorials.aspx

oldfogey
01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Jeff Birt, I just downloaded and examined the Apple Box project. Wonderful! And it is good to be among a bunch of caring, helpful, sharing people as inhabit this Forum.

Will probably be a while before I do the Apple, but I will.

William A. Rose
01-13-2009, 05:10 PM
That apple box looks like a neat thing. My mother would love it. Any idea what would be a fair price to pay for such a thing? I don't have a machine just yet, so can't make it myself. Just asking. Thanks folks.

Jeff_Birt
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't know about pricing. It takes about an hour to carve on the 'best' setting. I carved my the one shown in the pictures from MDF and used 3-4 coats of sanding sealer, sanding between each coat to get a nice smooth surface. I think I used 3 coated of apple read craft paint to get a nice deep look. One finishing hint: paint the stem parts on the leaf first, then cover with green. That lets the brown show through and gives it a really natural look. The inside was finished with green flocking.

lon711
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
this may sound like a dumb question but what is a R button

Jeff_Birt
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
If you look at the tool bar in Designer there is one button with a bit 'F' on it and one with a 'R'. These will flip you virtual board to the Front or Rear.

JOHNB
01-16-2009, 11:31 PM
That apple box looks like a neat thing. My mother would love it. Any idea what would be a fair price to pay for such a thing? I don't have a machine just yet, so can't make it myself. Just asking. Thanks folks.

william, she's your MOTHER, maybe $20.00 plus the cost of the wood.. LOL

mark1945
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I've made and sold 2 of the apples 1 was in red oak and then painted red the other was carved in Jatoba and just finished with clear poly.both had insides covered with spray in flock.I got 25.00 each.

mtylerfl
01-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I've made and sold 2 of the apples 1 was in red oak and then painted red the other was carved in Jatoba and just finished with clear poly.both had insides covered with spray in flock.I got 25.00 each.

Congrats, Mark! Did you take photos you could post in the Gallery?

mark1945
01-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Micheal
I've got pictures I think but they are on my other computer will have to put them on this 1 so I can post them.Will try to do tonight and get them posted.
Mark