PDA

View Full Version : File Structure

dwwilson44
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
I have obviously messed up the file structure for the ptn and mpc files. I have way to many favorites that show up with the same patterns in then when I call up the patterns. Also, I don't think I set up the saved file folders in the right place since they seem to be all over the place. I love the machine and the software, but I seem to have a mess with managing my files and downloads. What is the preferred file structure built into the software so that I can create the folders and move the files into them. I can't find any discussion of the files folder setup. Also, when I go into explorer and click on the favorites to see what is in there, it creates another favorites file with more numbers attached. While it seems silly I am having more trouble with the files than with the software or maching.

bjbethke
12-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I have obviously messed up the file structure for the ptn and mpc files. I have way to many favorites that show up with the same patterns in then when I call up the patterns. Also, I don't think I set up the saved file folders in the right place since they seem to be all over the place. I love the machine and the software, but I seem to have a mess with managing my files and downloads. What is the preferred file structure built into the software so that I can create the folders and move the files into them. I can't find any discussion of the files folder setup. Also, when I go into explorer and click on the favorites to see what is in there, it creates another favorites file with more numbers attached. While it seems silly I am having more trouble with the files than with the software or maching.
“Also, when I go into explorer and click on the favorites to see what is in there, it creates another favorites file with more numbers attached”

You can’t look at those files that way.

When you try to open and look at your MPN files they are loaded in The CW Designer Library. That is why you have all the extra Favorites files. The Patterns can only be seen in the Designer library.

You need to go in your Hard Drive in this folder and remove the extra files you entered.

C:\Documents and Settings\”File name of your CW folder”\CarveWright.

I back up and save the extra MPN files on a CD for future use. If you’re Favorites Library gets very large it will slow down the CW Designer and can cause Lock Ups and other problems.

11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
I had some problems with my first install of Designer and so I uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled it. When I opened the program and looked at my pattern list I found I had two copies of "Basic" and two copies of "Favorites". I was able to right click one of the "Favorites" and rename it to "Free Patterns" but the "Basic" folder gives me NO options with a right click. See attachment 1. I would also like to consolidate my two "Celtic" collections into one folder. My problem right now is that there is no way I can manage the pattern files. I have downloaded the CCW Pattern organizer that was mentioned on the forum but when I try to use it all I get is an error message: "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B) - see attachment 2. In Windows Explorer I have only one copy of the basic.mpn file even though it shows up twice in the patterns (seashell icon)

1. Is there any way to delete my duplicate "basic" folder?
2. Is there any way to move files from one folder to another, i.e. consolidate folders?
2. Is there any way to manage files, as in Windows Explorer, to organize my dozens of patterns into a file heirarchy that I can use to find things?

Help!

cestout
11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
I have a folder under my documents/studio/carvewright called Patterns. Also I have Projects, Project submission, instructions and others as needed. when you download a pattern, put it in a separate patterns folder. From there you can place a copy in the designer's library. I have many folders and sub folders there also so I can find things. That way you can delete seldom used patterns from the library to keep designer running ok. I have 1TB hard drive so the extra files are not a problem, but if you have a smaller hard drive, store the backups/extras on a DC, DVD, or thumb drive. The problem with the CD and DVD is that you loose flexibility - you can't add more as you go. The idea is to download patterns to somewhere other than the Designer library first, then install them from there. You can't export a pattern that you did not design, so it you put it in the library first and you need to delete it, it is gone. If it is a purchased pattern from LHR, you can re-download it because you have the license.
Clint