PDA

View Full Version : Cut Path - Missing the obvious?

djarboe
12-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I've gone through many of the tutorials, and thought I understood at least some of it, but I guess not. I created a path with the spline tool, and mirrored it to make a closed "path" (see attached). I want to cut this out of the board. The software will not even allow me to pick cut path. What am I doing wrong?

Lloyd
12-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't think you can make a complete path with a mirrored object. It think I have tried it and it will not allow you to attach the end points.

djarboe
12-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't think you can make a complete path with a mirrored object. It think I have tried it and it will not allow you to attach the end points.

Well that's too bad. :( So, I am limited to squares, rectangles, circles and ovals?

It would seem like a logical feature to include in the software. It's a very handy technique in other solid modeling software.

Jeff_Birt
12-28-2008, 11:25 AM
So, I am limited to squares, rectangles, circles and ovals?

No, you can make any shape you wish by combining the basic elements: lines and curves. Just like any other graphics application. While I too would like to be able to join mirrored objects it certainly hasn't prevented me from being able to design anything.

Digitalwoodshop
12-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I have imported a garbage .ptn like a clip art of some wine glasses then used the line tools to trace the outlines then deleted the .ptn. Did an outline of the hand drawing and it gives you less nodes. So you are limited only by your imagination not the basic shapes.

You can assign any bit and depth to the vector cuts. It takes a little more work but you only need to do it once.

Celebrate the versatility not it's drawbacks like mirroring won't save you 3 minutes.

AL

It didn't turn out perfect but the customer liked it.

James RS
12-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I've gone through many of the tutorials, and thought I understood at least some of it, but I guess not. I created a path with the spline tool, and mirrored it to make a closed "path" (see attached). I want to cut this out of the board. The software will not even allow me to pick cut path. What am I doing wrong?

Hey there, I'm still learning also but I just tried your file opened it selected all the paths then selected a bit ( 1/8 Roman Ogee) I hope it helps.I uploaded the file I did

Jim

mtylerfl
12-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Well that's too bad. :( So, I am limited to squares, rectangles, circles and ovals?

It would seem like a logical feature to include in the software. It's a very handy technique in other solid modeling software.

Hello,

I too would very much like to see the additional feature of mirrored paths that can be connected.

Many designs require precise symmetry - it would be so much easier to layout just one half, then mirror/connect the vectors. A potential HUGE time saver and certainly easier to achieve accuracy without having to use attachments, etc. for twice-drawn vectors.

I think that is already on the CarveWright wish-list, so we may see that feature some time in the future.

LollyWood
12-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I know this is prob harder then it need to be, but it works for me. Not being as Designer savvy as most this is my work around. W/ the pattern (Spline) showing, I trace over w/ Line tool. In this case the Arc tool, and adjust the curves. Joining the ends as I go. When done, tada...Cut path.;)

I traced 1/2 to show. Some sanding after the cutout will be required to even the thing out, but if you don't have a band saw and tracable graph paper, this will get ya pretty damn close. Just how I do it.

djarboe
12-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks to all for your help and comments. They led me to what I think is a solution. The key (maybe) is not to do this in the same order I would if I were to cut it out with my band saw and then route a edge. Instead, I first carved the surface down, and then routed/carved the profile along the spline and mirrored this. Then, I copied the spline, and pasted it on again, and made a closed box with the straight line tool. I then picked the cut path tool. Once one cutout was done, I mirrored it. To my surprise, that worked.

The results are attached, along with some patterns put in to dress it up a bit.

There's no doubt a better way to do this, but it seems to work.

Thanks again to everyone.