PDA

View Full Version : Live Chat Session

LittleRedWoodshop
12-28-2008, 01:29 AM
I am not sure if there is any interest in this, but it would bice to be able to talk with people about designs and ideas in a LIVE FORMAT.

If you are interested click on this link (http://cncartguild.myteamtoolbar.com/) and download the "CNC Art Guild of America" Toolbar. On the toolbar you will see a Live Chat link. If anyone is interested I will be signing on at 6pm CST tomorrow night. That is Sunday at 6 pm CST, I will be on for an hour, hope to see you there.

sewpeck
12-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I think this is a great, no, really great idea. If not through Carvewright through some other form of communication. Any other thoughts??????????????

brdad
12-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I totally dislike the idea of installing a toolbar just to get chat.

I do like to chat with friends in my other addiction via IRC chat and have done so for several years. We have a set evening to meet up. It takes a lot of forum members to get a small number involved in chat.

I'll install the toolbar and take a look, despite my apprehensions. Not sure if I will be around or not, be sure to let us know how it went.

I am also surprised the site lists it's members with their email addresses. Having your email listed on any web page is just inviting spammers.

Reset
12-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I think this is a great, no, really great idea. Any other thoughts??????????????

Me too! That's why I've had a LIVE CHAT box on my site for over a year and a half now! :)

Quite surprised though that more carvers haven't taken advantage of it... ?? ...and no tool bar to download either, it's built right into the forum. Just have to register on my site to participate... registration keeps the bad guys (spammers) out.

But having additional chat areas is beneficial too, as there have been times when it can get confusing when there is a lot of different conversations going on.

Tommy :)

fwharris
12-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Jason,

I will need to set my alarm to remind me. Hmm 5 pm my time..

LittleRedWoodshop
12-28-2008, 11:57 AM
This is a way to get started, see if people want to be involved and go from there. It would be really nice to use something like TeamSpeak, but I don't have the time to set it up. This is something that has been around for a while and I know it works.

If you have apprehensions about downloading the Toolbar then don't. This is not an attempt to harvest any information, I do that with Constant Contact, this is an attempt to help new members reach out a little easier.

James RS
12-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I totally dislike the idea of installing a toolbar just to get chat.

I do like to chat with friends in my other addiction via IRC chat and have done so for several years. We have a set evening to meet up. It takes a lot of forum members to get a small number involved in chat.

I'll install the toolbar and take a look, despite my apprehensions. Not sure if I will be around or not, be sure to let us know how it went.

I am also surprised the site lists it's members with their email addresses. Having your email listed on any web page is just inviting spammers.

That's why I have a Yahoo email also :)

badger
12-28-2008, 01:57 PM
It is not a bad idea to get started. Sometimes people can explain explain things easier in live chat than they can write it down. The Chat would also be a good place to bring up a problem you might be having with your machine where someone can explain it to you better in live chat than they can also by writing it.

LittleRedWoodshop
12-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Haven't talked to you in a while, hope things are well with you. I really want to get the TeamSpeak thing going, but I can't justify the exspence if no one is going to use it. So yes this is a good start. We have actually looked into TeamSpeak, Skype and a few others. See you later.

Ike
12-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Not sure if it cost anything, but ventrilo works well and any member can get on anytime.

Ike

Amonaug
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Not sure if it cost anything, but ventrilo works well and any member can get on anytime.

Ike

A 50 slot server costs about $15.99 a month. I use it all the time with my online gaming guild.

Ike
12-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Kevin, I used to use it with the team I was on, then they started playing world of warcraft and that was it for me!

Ike

mtylerfl
12-28-2008, 04:06 PM
It is not a bad idea to get started. Sometimes people can explain explain things easier in live chat than they can write it down. The Chat would also be a good place to bring up a problem you might be having with your machine where someone can explain it to you better in live chat than they can also by writing it.

Hi Jason,

I have a question - all live chats I've participated in IS writing (typing). Is this an audio chat using a microphone? Sounds like it might be, based upon what Badger is saying.

Gerald
12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
I like the idea as well. another option is to us the co-branding feature of GCN. It's a free service that can be downloaded and then set up as a private chat system for members of a group. just another idea

badger
12-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry, was thinking of something else.

It is a type chat, It is possible to set up a talk chat pretty cheap, but of course someone would have to want to do that and I agree with LittleRed if enough people get on with the chat stuff I would imagine that a talk one would soon get started if enough interest is shown.

These were the cost breakdowns for each type, Teamspeak and Ventrilo

Teamspeak 2 Commercial::Single Server Use License Price
Enterprise License - Single Server Use - 25 Slots $29.95
Enterprise License - Single Server Use - 50 Slots $59.95
Enterprise License - Single Server Use - 100 Slots $99.95
Enterprise License - Single Server Use - 250 Slots $199.95

Ventrilo

Total Users 1 Month
10 Users $4.99
20 Users $8.99
30 Users $12.99
40 Users $16.99
50 Users $20.99
60 Users $24.99
70 Users $28.99
80 Users $32.99
90 Users $36.99
100 Users $40.99

LittleRedWoodshop
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
will be coming very soon if there is an interest in this and I don't mind paying upto 20 bucks a month to get it set-up. So if anyone has any ideas send me a private message and I will look into it. Live chat seems to be the way to go. It is easier to moderate. So this is just an exercise in interest.

LittleRedWoodshop
12-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Jsut wanted to thank the folks that sgined in - it was kind of an experiment. All in all - worked out pretty well. See you all on Skype on Wednesday at 6pm CST. I will post the links later.

LittleRedWoodshop
12-28-2008, 11:15 PM
the link to the chat can be found at www.cncartguild.com. It is listed at the bottom of the page. See yall soon.