PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting head pressure

SAA3840
12-27-2008, 10:31 PM
OK, I adjusted the four guide posts as per the instructions. I lubed the two screws that raise and lower the head and I applied dry lube to the four guide posts, above and below the head, then lowered the head and applied it to the rest of the posts.

The best I can get is 60 to 63 pounds. What am I missing? The crank spring is lubed, all the gears are lubed. I'm using white lithium grease, as recomended by Carvewright. I just can't get the pressure up to 75lbs. much less 80. :confused:

Deolman
12-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I used the white lithium grease to grease the posts and vertical screws. Dropped the head to about 1" height, loosened all four of the top screws then loosened two of the bottom screws, then tightened them and did the same on the other side. Raised the head to mid way and tightened the top screws. Lubed the crank assy. with white lith. My head pressure went from 50 lbs to 85lbs. Right now my flex shaft is soaking in moly because it was running hot.

SAA3840
12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
I did everything you've done. The only difference is I didn't lube the guide rods with white grease, I used dry lube. I don't see how that could make a difference.

ChrisAlb
12-28-2008, 06:34 AM
SAA3840,

Lithium grease is the recommended lube for the posts. I even found a lithium with moly which is what I use now. Works great! I've found NO place on the CW for using dry lube. Especially the QC!!

Deolman, if you want to avoid the "down time" of soaking the shaft, use Crane Cam assembly lube. Simply the best for the job. My original flex shaft (over 430 hours now) doesn't EVER run hot, doesn't EVER run warm, it runs COOL to the touch always. I've lubed the flex shaft in mid carve on some of my longer marathon carves. Quick, easy, cheap and no down time. Everyone else who's tried it reports the same. CNS for one.

See here for details.....

http://forum.carvewright.com//showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

I first posted this back in May. I've still only used roughly half of the first of two packets in the box.

I still think the above post should be a STICKY. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

SAA3840
12-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Guess what, I got rid of the dry lube on the guide posts and used the same white lithium grease that I put on the screws.

Head pressure jumped to 70lbs the first time I checked it. Guess as how I don't want the dry lube after all. I only used it because grease collects sawdust and I figured I didn't want the guide posts coated with greasy sawdust. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks to Chris and Deolman for setting me straight.

mifflinlake
12-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Chris,

The first thing I did when I got my CW was apply the assembly lube as you had previously recommended. I had read a lot of horry stories on here about how hot the flexshaft would get. My CW flexshaft runs cool to the touch. Thanks for the advise.

John

Ike
12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Ok here is an opposite question. As reading checking the head pressure needs to be checked regularly and since I never checked my CW I did today. As I began the head was not moving well, so I sprayed the posts with white lithium grease. Worked it in and it operated smoothly. At first I lost my clutch and was getting 145 pounds of pressure. I loosen the screw on the handle and heard something pop and the clutch worked again.

Ok here is the question my pressure is 86 is that good or bad?

Ike

atauer
12-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Ike,

That is actually good. It is a little on the high side, but It is good.