PDA

View Full Version : *.STL files

andes
12-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know the reason why LHR removed the option to import the STL files. I had an old copy of Designer ver 1.125 and it let you import the stl files, but the newer ver's don't. It sure would be nice if they put that back in the new version

ChrisAlb
12-27-2008, 07:10 AM
I've been wondering that myself Andrea. I had several STL files in my favorites folder under both 1.120 and 1.125 that you could import just like any pattern file. Right click a folder and pick import. Ever since 1.126 you can't???

All I can guess at is perhaps some people were swiping STL's from Vector 3D or something??

Sure would be nice to have that option again. With all the software out there that outputs like 30 different CNC formats, it sure would be nice if LHR would make the CW recognize at least one them. That way, they (and we) would have the best of both worlds. A machine that handles CNC talk AND graphics.....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

AskBud
12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Just a thought, I do not have STL but this may be a solution.;)
Since we may load the software on two machines, possibly, you could load the "original" CD on the 2nd PC and just not update to 1.3xx. we could then copy the STL files to the 2nd PC.
What do you think?
AskBud

liquidguitars
12-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Sure would be nice to have that option again. With all the software out there that outputs like 30 different CNC formats, it sure would be nice if LHR would make the CW recognize at least one them. That way, they (and we) would have the best of both worlds. A machine that handles CNC talk AND graphics.....

LHR has stated that some new software developments are on the horizon so I think "just a guess" its safe that STL will be included soon.

LG

ChrisAlb
12-27-2008, 11:03 AM
LHR has stated that some new software developments are on the horizon so I think "just a guess" its safe that STL will be included soon.

LG

That would be great if so...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

jessrice
12-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Perhaps it will be added to a professional version of the software?

Jesse

Kenm810
12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Jesse,

Welcome to the CW Forum,

Quote: (Perhaps it will be added to a professional version of the software?)
Professional Version,-- Lord I'm still struggling with the CW Carving for Dummies Version!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

James RS
12-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Jesse,

Welcome to the CW Forum,

Quote: (Perhaps it will be added to a professional version of the software?)
Professional Version,-- Lord I'm still struggling with the CW Carving for Dummies Version!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

I'm waiting for that yellow and black book lol

jessrice
12-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome, i have been reading the forum for several weeks now, as my wife purchased me a machine for christmas.

She didnt realize i knew, so i had to keep my research quiet! It is still in the box, as i get a stand and prepare to build downdraft box.

I have had a lot of time to glean a lot from everyones posts, as well as look at some of the members websites. All good stuff.

I have also downloaded demos of MODO and ARTcam express, but havent made it very far. I am fairly proficient in Photoshop CS 2 but the programs are a "bit" more complicated. I am getting the upgrade to to CS 4 next week and perhaps it will be more vector freindly.

Hence, my remark, that perhaps carvewright will offer a more in depth package, that will have some advance features but not a full blown 3d modeler.

All that being said, I have only used the Carvewright software for 3 weeks, and know that i am NOT EVEN CLOSE to having the understanding that most members have, so I am really talking out of turn!

Hope to be sharing projects soon!

Jesse
Pasco, WA

pine acres woodshop
12-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Dig in Jesse, fire that baby up. Good luck , you recieved one hell of a nice gift.
Mark

fwharris
12-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Jesse,

Man you must have been a very good boy to get such a gift under the tree! Get it out of the box and do a few carves while you are building your down draft. I would suggest something very, very nice for the wife as the first project. Welcome aboard and happy carving!!!

jcorder
12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
You better hang on! These women that buy gifts like that have BIG GIFTS in return in their heads! She certainly did you a favor though, you will find lots of enjoyment and great projects ahead of you.

Happy Carving and Welcome aboard!

Jeff

FiddlemakerMills
12-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Jesse,

Man you must have been a very good boy to get such a gift under the tree! Get it out of the box and do a few carves while you are building your down draft. I would suggest something very, very nice for the wife as the first project. Welcome aboard and happy carving!!!

You better hang on! These women that buy gifts like that have BIG GIFTS in return in their heads! She certainly did you a favor though, you will find lots of enjoyment and great projects ahead of you.

Happy Carving and Welcome aboard!

Jeff

I have to agree with the others.;)

jessrice
12-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies,

yes she went overboard this year, and I did mention that to her, however I am very excited, so decided to "forgive her" and not bring it up again!

At least she bought from carve wright, so we are supporting them directly.

She has been bugging me to take it out of the box, so after i run to Lowes for a look at some cabinets, I'm gonna dig in.

of course i have to heat up the shop first

Jesse

jcorder
12-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Lowes!!! The Big Boys Toy Store!! I wanna go too!!!! LOL

andes
12-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Chris, believe it or not the Vector 3D folks tell there cw customers that they can import, but found out that they use designer 1.125. They have done a few designs in .png format; but most of there suff is .stl

andes
12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
AskBud, I may do that load the old version on another machine.

andes
12-27-2008, 09:24 PM

LG

That would be really cool.

andes
12-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Perhaps it will be added to a professional version of the software?

Jesse

LOL, that would be cool too, but I'm sure that the Pro ver will cost us big bucks..