PDA

View Full Version : Monetary Images

mtylerfl
12-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Hello,

Does anyone here know if monetary images (Presidents' faces in particular) are copywritten in any way?...or is the artwork on currency considered Public Domain?

I know that copyrights expire after 70 years of the creator's death (or any work created before Jan 1, 1923), so "old" money is free of any possible copyright. But, not sure about "current" money images.

ChrisAlb
12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
That's a good question Michael. I don't know the facts of it but if it is copyrighted, an awful lot of folks are in trouble. I see representations of money EVERYWHERE on the Internet.

I would think as long as you're not printing it on paper or carving plates...hehe....you'd be OK. After all, it is "our" money, isn't it?

Rocky
12-27-2008, 05:58 AM
I'd have to agree with Chris. Over the years I've seen all kinds of mock-ups of currency.

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been doing a little research and have discovered that certain coins/currency artwork is OK to reproduce and some are not. Regarding coin artwork...The ones that can are called "Covered Coins" by the U.S. Mint, and they have outlined a set of conditions under which the designs can be used.

For example, some designs, such as the Golden dollar coin featuring Sacagawea, or coins issued under the 50 State Quarters Program cannot be reproduced at this time, nor can the Westward Journey Nickel designs.

I read that info from the following U.S. Mint webpage:
http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/index.cfm?action=CircCoinPolicy

I've got some more reading to do before I'm sure I would be in the clear for some of the things I have in mind.

badger
12-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Look out hes gonna start making woodel nickels......:)

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Look out hes gonna start making woodel nickels......:)

Hey, that's not a bad idea!! Honest to goodness, I hadn't thought of that. Be cool for drink coasters, too.

Kenm810
12-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I was playing the idea back in May
but went on to something in Corian.

(Never mind --- Thanks for the Heads up, MT)

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Hello Ken,

Unless I am misreading the policy posted on the U.S. Mint page, the nickel you posted is one of those in the Westward Journey Nickel series that is not authorized for reproduction yet, and is still under copyright to the designer.

Check me out on this by visiting the following webpage:
http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=CircCoinPolicy