PDA

View Full Version : Bits

James RS
12-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Just wondering I see a few bits in the bit selection that are not on the site for sale.
Do you just by the quick change coupler and use your own?

Thanks,
Jim

Amonaug
12-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Just wondering I see a few bits in the bit selection that are not on the site for sale.

Thanks,
Jim

Which bits didn't you find?

mtylerfl
12-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanks,
Jim

No, I don't use any bits other than the ones approved by CarveWright.

Specifically, please provide a list of the bits you see listed but not available at the store so we can help you further.

James RS
12-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Ok in the carvewright software there's a 1/2 inch straight bit all i've seen in a 1/2 inch ballnose. And in the store under bits there's no 1/2 inch straight bit
I don't eben see one in the full set also there's only 11 bits in the full set and 15 to choose from in the software

mtylerfl
12-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok in the carvewright software there's a 1/2 inch straight bit all i've seen in a 1/2 inch ballnose. And in the store under bits there's no 1/2 inch straight bit

Correct, the 1/2" straight bit and the 1/8" ballnose bit are not currently available. The 1/8" ballnose is being evaluated whether it is needed and under what circumstances it can be useful.

...the 1/2" straight - I haven't heard whether that will ultimately be approved/available or not, yet.

BTW, the 1/16" ballnose is your carving bit and the 1/8" straight is your cutting bit - the profile illustration of the 1/16" ballnose makes it look like a straight bit, but it's not.

So, that accounts for 13 bits vs the 15 shown in the software - the only 2 missing are the 1/8" ballnose and the 1/2" straight.

James RS
12-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Ok thanks, I thought I was loosing it lol

Dan-Woodman
12-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Micheal
Tell them to add a provision for a 1/4" staight bit. I'm working around it by substituting the 3/8" and 1/8" and 1/2". I don't want to use the 1/8" bit for cutting a 7/32" slot.
I'd like to make one pass, with my 7/32" bit and use the 3/8" and 1/2" in the same project.
Would you happen to know the feed rates for the different sized bits? I think the 1/2" has a faster feed rate than the 3/8".
Thanks too all later Daniel

JOHNB
12-27-2008, 06:55 AM

Thanks,
Jim

yes, that's what i do. they don't HAVE to be the carvewright brand.

FiddlemakerMills
12-27-2008, 08:56 AM
The 1/8" ballnose is being evaluated whether it is needed and under what circumstances it can be useful.

The 1/8" and 1/4" ball nose is usefull for carving large contured areas like the plates of the violin and fiddle. I was going planing on getting a carbide ball mill to test this too see how the carving time of the plates are affected. The 8+ hrs that the 1/16 carving bit provides is a bit much but effective. I would like to reduce the carving time and maintain the quality of the carve with out add ing extra stress to the unit.

Currently I carve the plates on a sled, then space the carving 1/16" higher and restart the carve. This way most of the waste material is removed with the previous carve and the 1/16'' carving bit is under less stress resulting in a finer finish on the carve. This reduces the amount of hand finishing required.

James RS
12-27-2008, 09:13 AM
I was going to get the 1/2 inch straight bit to do some large flat areas.

James RS
12-27-2008, 09:14 AM

John what brand bit do you use?

liquidguitars
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
People that use the 1/2 bit know how to use it. The 1/2 bit cuts clean and works well. I am using a 1/2 "Amana" carbide bit.

like any bit it will need to be high quality, sharp and clean from pitch. When installing the bit into the adapter, I use lock tight on all mateing surfaces.

I not sure why MT thinks SE would need to review how the 1/2 bit cuts.. Removing the 1/2" bit would be news to me as the idea is to add software functionality and give you guys choices of a lots of cutting bits to do the work you need.

Just a guess but the 1/8" ball nose could be a future bit not released yet like the new released 1/16" cut bit.

LG

Dan-Woodman
12-27-2008, 12:24 PM
As woodworkers we all know there is more than one way to do anything with a piece of wood. Don't restrict yourself from doing things the way you want to or making the job easier or quicker when are are hundreds of bits available to use . Example : If I want a udersized 1/4" slot for plywood, I'll substitute a 7/32" bit making one pass instead of using the 1/8" bit with 2 passes.
later Daniel

liquidguitars
12-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree 100% Never let them take your carbide away! :)

LG

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 12:43 PM
...I not sure why MT thinks SE would need to review how the 1/2 bit cuts...LG

LG,

...'tain't me that thinks that...just reporting "what it is".

To clarify, I never said I thought it needed a review in the first place. Here's the quote from my original message...

"...the 1/2" straight - I haven't heard whether that will ultimately be approved/available or not, yet."

In other words, I have not heard anything one way or another regarding a 1/2" straight bit becoming available...except I do understand that a 1/2" straight bit is NOT approved by CarveWright at this time, for whatever reason.

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 12:58 PM
...The 1/8" and 1/4" ball nose is usefull for carving large contured areas like the plates of the violin and fiddle...

Yes, the idea behind the 1/8" ballnose is primarily for carvings that don't require the kind of detail that the 1/16" provides. The 1/8" ballnose should leave a smoother finish as well. I have one of the 1/8" ballnose carving bits, but have not tested it yet.

Stupid me, I missed the opportunity to try it when I did my Sailboat Project - was in such a rush with several deadlines that I was on "Auto-Pilot" when I carved two of them and totally forgot I had the 1/8" ballnose. I'll probably carve another one, 'cause the Sailboat would be a good project to test it on. I should mention, though, the large convex/concave sail surfaces did come out really smooth (on Select Pine) using the standard 1/16" carving bit.

One of my personal concerns (which doesn't matter a whit, really) is that some users may not know when it is or isn't appropriate to use a 1/8" vs the 1/16" carving bit.

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 01:01 PM

...after your factory warranty has expired...

liquidguitars
12-27-2008, 01:05 PM
...'tain't me that thinks that...just reporting "what it is".

a little... :)

"what it is".

that's your view only and not SE, eveything is up for review and could change overnight.
I think if the 1/2 bit is removed it will show up in a pro version or LHR could loose a clinet base.

LG

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 01:13 PM
a little... :)

that's your view only and not SE...

LG

Sorry, I haven't a clue what on earth you mean.

ChrisAlb
12-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Starting off the new year a "bit" snippy fellows?....LOL

Use whatever bits you want ..... at your own risk.

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I think if the 1/2 bit is removed it will show up in a pro version or LHR could loose a clinet base...LG

LHR is very attentive to customer needs, wants and desires. I have every confidence that they will provide everything possible and practical. Some things can be done overnight, others cannot.

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Starting off the new year a "bit" snippy fellows?....LOL

Use whatever bits you want ..... at your own risk.

I agree - do whatever you want!;) ...we'll leave it at that.:)

liquidguitars
12-27-2008, 01:24 PM
SE is a term for "software engineering" in this case Designers design and testing.

LG

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
SE is a term for "software engineering" in this case Designers design and testing.

LG

LOL - yes, we do know what SE means.;)

liquidguitars
12-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I was wondering.. :) I must be feeling better as i more snippy this week...

LG

liquidguitars
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I think I got a little off tangent here.

I think Michael was not talking about the 1/2 bit in software options but was stating that it use is not approved buy LHR at this time, so after warranty could be the best time to try it or non LHR bits...

If you need the 1/2 bit, it works well for custom work as the 3/8 bit but it's on your own dime.

LG

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Here is a pull quote from a post made by CarveWright on July 25, 2008 regarding the use of 1/2" straight bits..
__________________________________________________ _________
Bits and Machine Usage
A problem was reported in the thread, <http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8013>, where a board caught was reported to have caught fire. We have discovered that this problem was caused by the use of a ½” straight bit. Although the ½” straight bit is listed in the Designer software, no CarveWright ½” bits have been released and therefore the ½” straight bit was not supported.
__________________________________________________ _________

For anyone interested, you can read the entire post at:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8090

James RS
12-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Whoa I didn't mean to start a disagreement amongst you good people, I just noticed this the other day about the bits and wondered. But from the Youtube videos I've been looking at for the past couple of years on DIY CNC machines prior to my Carvewright purchase. I did notice there seems to be feed rates available in the software they use such as Mach and the Linux free version and others.
I think it would be nice, as I've been looking at the software for the Carvwright, I noticed a depth limit setting. I'm assuming this is for multiple passes at smaller cutting depths, I can see where a bad bit could start a fire, I don't leave mine unattended. I do other things while it's carving. I had my first glitch the other day a stuck bit, came on here did a search a due to the sharing of info everyone has provided, unstuck and back up and running and nothing broken. Yes I'd like to have a larger straight bit for shorter cutting times on larger areas, I think they're just being safe first and making sure before getting it to us. I thank everyone here for the sharing of cure fixes and projects and tips etc.

Thank you,
Jim

Dan-Woodman
12-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Just a word of caution here. I used the 1/2" bit( brand new one I might add) yesterday on the dentil molding project and it worked fine I don't think I would rout more than 3/16" per pass though. 1/8" even would be better. Just my thoughts.
later Daniel

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Whoa I didn't mean to start a disagreement amongst you good people, I just noticed this the other day about the bits and wondered...Thank you,
Jim

Hello Jim,

No problem - there's no disagreement. It's simply a fact that at this moment in time, even though a 1/2" straight bit selection appears in the Designer Menu, it is not recommended by the inventor/manufacturer of the machine, nor does the manufacturer offer a 1/2" straight bit for sale. (My guess is that it wouldn't be in the menu options if there wasn't some plan to be able to use it safely with the manufacturer's blessing at some point in the future.)

What individual users decide to do with their own machines is always completely up to them, of course. We're all friends here!

James RS
12-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Just a word of caution here. I used the 1/2" bit( brand new one I might add) yesterday on the dentil molding project and it worked fine I don't think I would rout more than 3/16" per pass though. 1/8" even would be better. Just my thoughts.
later Daniel

I agree about this as this is where my bit got stuck in the holder due to my lack of expierence using the machine.I was using the 1/8 cutter and it plunged all the way through, luckily it worked out for me. I went back re examined my settings and I had it set that way, lesson learned.

Thanks,
Jim

To mtylerfl Thanks

liquidguitars
12-28-2008, 12:18 PM
my 2 cents..

When I first looked at the Carvewright I was impressed with the options for the 3/8" and the 1/2" bit for my guitar building.

The 1/2 and 3/8 bits are a common bit to surface complex edges with very clean results, most of the high end CNC's takes advantage of the long life of 1/2 and 3/8 bits.

The software options for the 1/2 bit are in Designer and from the lack of information on the thread I am guessing only a hand full of people have use it or even tested the 1/2 bits MT included.

Here is a photo of using the best bit for the job 1/8"cut, 1/2" 3/8" for pockets, as you see no guitar tops were harmed burned or fires started :)

LG

mtylerfl
12-28-2008, 12:24 PM
...The software options for the 1/2 bit are in Designer and from the lack of information on the thread I am guessing only a hand full of people have use it or even tested the 1/2 bits MT included.

LG

I've never used a 1/2" straight bit on either of my machines - and won't, until CarveWright approves their use.