PDA

View Full Version : The crank is not adjusting down.

jonm3
12-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Any idea why the crank will not lower? I can not lower the crank. I had it set up, with the bit in it and it would not lower. It did say that when your cranking it down, you will hear 5 clicks, I heard more than that. Any idea's what I should do, or not doing to get it to work? I am new to Carve Wright Message Boards.

lhanner
12-24-2008, 08:36 AM
I have had the same problem, spring pressure. what I did was remove the crank handel, and reinstall it. If this dose not work you can do this. On top of the CW their are 4 bolts remove 2 of the bolts one at a time, and barrow the washers. Then remove the crank handle again and put the washer on the crank handle shaft. Call tech support and they will send you the washer, and you can replace back the washers you removed.

pine acres woodshop
12-24-2008, 09:00 AM
The head might be cranked up to high. Look in your manual it shows you how to get it to start lowering by turning one of the post, one of the post has a hole in it to assist in lowering the head. Try this first before you start taking things apart. Merry Christmas.
Mark

twiceretired
12-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Look at this thread, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8259&highlight=head+lowering

HelpBot3000
12-24-2008, 09:20 AM
That thread is very useful but I think this is a different issue. If you are cranking the head down and it does not click but just keeps pressing down then usually that means the lubricant has dried up on the lead screws and guide posts. Try putting a little white lithium grease on those by hand and crank the head up and down to get it evenly distributed. Then see if your clicks come back. If they don't call hardware support so we can check if you have a more serious problem.

FINGERS
12-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Before You Start Taking Things Apart,is Your Shop Above 50 And Are Your Head Rails Or Posts Cleane And Have Lube On Them, Dry And Dirdy Posts Will Give You A Cranking Issue.

Digitalwoodshop
12-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Any idea why the crank will not lower? I can not lower the crank. I had it set up, with the bit in it and it would not lower. It did say that when your cranking it down, you will hear 5 clicks, I heard more than that. Any idea's what I should do, or not doing to get it to work? I am new to Carve Wright Message Boards.

Welcome to the Forum. I see that the head not cranking down is your first post. Many here have posted this same question as the first post.

You will find the answer in your operation manual. This is a high tech piece of equipment and will require reading and understanding the operation manual and the Tips and Tricks posted by many here. Any problem you will have has been posted here before.

To use the search function you sometimes need to use the " " with your search.

We are here to answer your many questions as we have all asked them in the past.

Good Luck and WELCOME.

AL

jonm3
12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks, I will try that. I will have to put a Christmas project off until I do have it working. I have everything attached, the bit, the flex cable, the dust muffler.
Can you attach a vacuum to the dust exhaust port?
And could I use WD40 instead of white lith. grease?

HelpBot3000
12-24-2008, 10:47 AM
On the lead screws and guide posts I do not recommend using WD-40. It has a different breakdown than the white lit. grease. I would stick with the recommended stuff from the engineers.

Jeff_Birt
12-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Do not use WD-40 in place of the proper lubricant. If your machines head (part that cranks up/down) is stuck all the way up it is because you cranked it up to high. Don't worry that is the #1 newbie error. Look in teh back of your users manual under Troubleshooting. It will show you how to move the head down a little by hand.

Deolman
12-24-2008, 10:57 AM
It is recommended you not use WD40 for the lubricant. I would suggest you search for lubricants and their usage in the forum. Using the wrong lubricant might get expensive. (You may need " "'s when searching.) Is the head all the way to the top of it's travel? The crank just clicks and the head won't move. If that is the case, the manual shows how to turn the lead screw to get it going again.

Using a vacuum on the exhaust port won't be a big help. Do a search on the forum for downdraft. The results would be more satisfying. (There is also a concern for static electricity using a vacuum.)

Let us know the outcome.

jonm3
12-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I will not use WD40, didn't know what it would do, didn't want to try it and damaging my CW. I will wait after Christmas before going out and getting white lith. grease. One thing I like doing, is finding out what others had trouble or somethings I may not know about. Once I do get my CW machine set up, then I will see how this 2 designs I have been working on turns out. Have a Merry Christmas.
Thanks Jon

HelpBot3000
12-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Merry Christmas to you too Jon!