PDA

View Full Version : Character spacing

Rocky
12-24-2008, 06:17 AM
When I adjust character spacing using Centerline text, the adjustment is shown; however, when I accept it and go back to the project board the spacing isn't reflected (I assume it is during the carve). Is there any way to have actual character soacing shown on the Designer project board?

Thanks,

mtylerfl
12-24-2008, 10:07 AM
When I adjust character spacing using Centerline text, the adjustment is shown; however, when I accept it and go back to the project board the spacing isn't reflected (I assume it is during the carve). Is there any way to have actual character soacing shown on the Designer project board?

Thanks,

The preview window shows you the spacing before you click OK. I don't know why it isn't working for you - strange.

Rocky
12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
The preview window shows you the spacing before you click OK. I don't know why it isn't working for you - strange.

I guess I wasn't clear in my thread. The preview does show the new spacing, but the new spacing isn't shown on the board after I click 'ok'.

Happy Holidays!

mtylerfl
12-25-2008, 02:30 PM
I guess I wasn't clear in my thread. The preview does show the new spacing, but the new spacing isn't shown on the board after I click 'ok'.

Happy Holidays!

Hi Rocky,

I knew what you meant regarding that also - still don't have any idea why it's not working for you.

What is the specific font you are using...and, do you have the same problem with any/all other fonts?

I just tried several fonts and they all seem to work fine for centerline - both in the preview window and on the board itself.

Silly question for you - you do have the Centerline license activated for your software, yes?

blantz
12-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Is the text attached to any part of the board? I've seen the text change in dimension when making changes to size and location when the text is attached.

Rocky
12-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Here's the mpc and screen image. As you can see, the FD overlap in Centerline design screen, but not shown after I click 'ok'.

Yes, I have Centerline installed.

AskBud
12-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Here's the mpc and screen image. As you can see, the FD overlap in Centerline design screen, but not shown after I click 'ok'.

Rocky,
I think I see your problem. The screen shot is hard to read, but I think you have a "minus" sign in front of your spacing number.:o
AskBud

brdad
12-26-2008, 06:55 AM
I wonder if this could be a bug? I had a project I did that had the same problem, I worked around the issue by deleting the text and re-applying it until I got the effect I wanted. But I just tried on a blank board and it works as it should. I wish I could remember what project it was I had the issue with. Did you try spacing the text on a blank project?

I do know with my software the preview isn't exactly the same as the end result, which is a bit annoying. Hopefully future versions will have better control over size and other centerline features.

ChrisAlb
12-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Rocky,
I think I see your problem. The screen shot is hard to read, but I think you have a "minus" sign in front of your spacing number.:o
AskBud

Yes bud, I believe he is "trying" to overlap the letters.

Rocky, I do believe you may have found a bug here. I've tried the same thing on both your MPC, and on a blank one and no matter what font I choose, I can't get the letters to overlap at all. Not even at the full minus 25 setting.

I guess I shouldn't say "bug". It might just be an oversight or the way fonts are handled but it seems to me that what you see in the preview, should be what you get on the wood. Hmmmmm....

mtylerfl
12-26-2008, 07:45 AM

Hello Rocky,

Hmmm. You didn't mention you were attempting negative spacing.:rolleyes: With Centerline, I believe it is by intentional design that you cannot overlap the letters - they can "touch" but cannot have their paths overlap in a contiguous line of text.

For overlap of Centerline, type one letter at a time and position manually.

Rocky
12-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Hello Rocky,

Hmmm. You didn't mention you were attempting negative spacing.:rolleyes: With Centerline, I believe it is by intentional design that you cannot overlap the letters - they can "touch" but cannot have their paths overlap in a contiguous line of text.

For overlap of Centerline, type one letter at a time and position manually.

I tried some examples with positive spacing spacing. Although the board seemed to reflect some more spacing between letters, it still doesn't look like it does in the centerline design view.

Also, if centerline doesn't allow overlapping, then don't you think it should give an error alert or not even let one go too negative.

My main concern is how it will actually carve. What do I believe, the centerline design screen or the board?

Thanks, folks,

ChrisAlb
12-26-2008, 11:26 AM
It would appear (at least for me) that it won't work for any type of text. Centerline, raster or outline.

bjbethke
12-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I tried some examples with positive spacing spacing. Although the board seemed to reflect some more spacing between letters, it still doesn't look like it does in the centerline design view.

Also, if centerline doesn't allow overlapping, then don't you think it should give an error alert or not even let one go too negative.

My main concern is how it will actually carve. What do I believe, the centerline design screen or the board?

Thanks, folks,
You could try it out on a scrap of wood that should tell you.

mtylerfl
12-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Thanks, folks,

Always believe the board - that's what the carve will look like.

mtylerfl
12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
It would appear (at least for me) that it won't work for any type of text. Centerline, raster or outline.

That's what I find as well. I even went back to Designer 1.120 and it works the same way - apparently that's the way it's always been - just never noticed because it's such an obscure use of text layout (negative overlap). Probably just as easy to type each letter and overlap manually for those "rare folks" who would need it occasionally - you have more precise control for the overlap anyway. Nevertheless, I wonder why negative spacing in the Text Menu preview doesn't match the board (i.e., why is it there if it doesn't work the way the preview shows?)

Kenm810
12-26-2008, 01:09 PM
If it's only a few letters or words, that need to be over lapped
it's really not that hard to enter each letter or word individually.

mtylerfl
12-26-2008, 01:10 PM

That's right, Ken.

Rocky
12-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Doing it letter by letter will work, I was just wondering if I might have been doing something wrong when I was working with it. No big deal. I'm sure there are many work-arounds for other things.

Thanks, folks,