PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum question

JVallario
12-23-2008, 11:11 AM
So far I've only blown out my cw with 25-30 psi air. Having come across some threads where sawdust collected in the motor I am now thinking about a bit of vacuuming. Is my 6.5 hp shop vac too powerful for this? Are there areas I should avoid?

liquidguitars
12-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I think shock is the main prob with the CPU, so ground the plastic..

LG

Skyhawk
12-23-2008, 11:26 AM
The vacuum isn't to powerfull for this but be very careful...Vacuums usually have plastic hoses...as the sawdust is sucked through the hose it can create a huge amount of static. If this arcs it can easily damage the circuitry of the system!

With that being said, I do vacuum my system on a somewhat regular basis...First, I use a small Makita battery operated blower and blow the system out which removes most of the dust...then I use the vacuum to pick up any loose dust that was left behind. I also make sure that I hold the hose and the frame of the system which will help dissipate any charge that builds up. I also turn off the system and remove the card (leave the system plugged in) before doing any cleaning. Avoid the area behind the display as an arc can destroy it (not much dust builds up and a quick shot with the small blower keeps it clean anyway.

DocWheeler
12-23-2008, 11:26 AM
John,

It has been my experience that the use of blowing air within the CC/CW would be the spots under the rollers (so the switches show uncompressed), maybe inside the board sensor, and something across the board as it carves.

Sucking the dust out seems to be a lot less destructive. Something in the neighborhood of 1200 cfm, during carving, seems to be used by several people. Just be careful not to pull dust into areas of electronics, and avoid static charges.

For "clean-up vacuuming" you can cut your system down with a smaller hose or relieve the negative pressure to more workable levels by opening another port or so.

Perhaps you were just kidding as I would think that a system that big could pull the machine apart;)

ChrisAlb
12-23-2008, 11:31 AM
John,

My vac is a 6 HP and I use it all the time. The only place I avoid now is the outside of keypad side of the machine when the power is on. One time I had a carve abort from vacuuming that side when powered up. I always use the round brush attachment when doing the cut motor vents and around all the wiring up there.

LG is right about static charge. Always keep one hand on the CW when cleaning it. This will keep the charge between you and it the same so you don't shock it when you go to restart the carve. I put my hand on the CW right before I put the hose to it and leave it there until I pull the hose away. Never had a problem since doing it that way.

HighTechOkie
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Perhaps you were just kidding as I would think that a system that big could pull the machine apart;)

Ken, I think he's referring to the typical shop vac style. While the sticker on the side may say 6.5HP, the conditions under which it will achieve that are unknown....and what is referred to in the consumer electronics world as "ILS" (If Lightning Strikes) rating. Much like a 3.25HP router on a 110V circuit. Those figures are "peak HP" as a 110v 15A circuit can only deliver ~2HP continuous.

Rob

DocWheeler
12-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Sorry, I forgot about the "advertised" horsepower. I was thinking of a real 6.5 HP dust collector (4,900 watts).

JVallario
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback. I had read about the static issue and keeping a hand on the machine. That was the primary reason I hadn't used the vacuum up til now. Seeing pics of how much build up can get into the motor from other posts and knowing the air wasn't getting it out is what prompted me to rethink my approach. I'll rig up a brush attachment and may leave a port open to bleed off some pressure.

No Ken I wasn't joking. No one ever gets my jokes anyway so I gave up telling them. Pulling the wrong things out of the machine is just what I didn't want to do.

bjbethke
12-23-2008, 05:02 PM
So far I've only blown out my cw with 25-30 psi air. Having come across some threads where sawdust collected in the motor I am now thinking about a bit of vacuuming. Is my 6.5 hp shop vac too powerful for this? Are there areas I should avoid?
I use a down draft system. I have the Dust Collector (motor and Fan, 1HP) mounted in my CW machine stand. I vent the dust through my shop wall to blow the chips outside. I use only an air hose to blow the small amount if dust with the collector running after each carving. I leave my memory card in the machine to keep chips out of the card connecter. I do turn off the machine when cleaning. I have a good vacuum at the lower port. I find a small amount of dust in the machine when carving narrow projects; with wide boards I get more chips that stay on top of that board and the ledge under the window cover. I just push the chips off the ledge and use my air hose to remove the rest of the dust. The hose from my DC through the wall is four inches.

My year is up now and I plan on making a dust port on the back side of the machine (Key pad Front) that will go directly to my DC with a short hose and an adjustable port to better control the dust when I carve larger boards. I also connect the motor exhaust through the DC.

Not sure yet if I will make a new side out of wood or plastic. I plan on using my scanning probe to make a new cover. Hope to get that done soon … I will post the MPC when I find one that works. I have been searching for some quick disconnect latches to use for that side.