PDA

View Full Version : Shop Temperature - again, for a newbie

djarboe
12-23-2008, 06:59 AM
I've been reading on the forum that the CW likes it's room comfy. Some have said a minimum of 70, some 40. My basement "idles" at about 60, despite my efforts (numerous space heaters). However, it IS only 3 degrees outside.

Before I attempt to add a 30,000 BTU gas heater, will my CW operate correctly at 60? I just unpacked it, but have just left it sitting in my basement worried that I could damage it. It is beckoning to me, but I have resisted while trying to warm the basement to 70.:confused:

Eagle Hollow
12-23-2008, 07:26 AM
I've been reading on the forum that the CW likes it's room comfy. Some have said a minimum of 70, some 40. My basement "idles" at about 60, despite my efforts (numerous space heaters). However, it IS only 3 degrees outside.

Before I attempt to add a 30,000 BTU gas heater, will my CW operate correctly at 60? I just unpacked it, but have just left it sitting in my basement worried that I could damage it. It is beckoning to me, but I have resisted while trying to warm the basement to 70.:confused:

I keep my shop at 50 degrees and have never had a problem at that temp EXCEPT a sluggish head crank. That's significant for an ideal 85# roller pressure. Below about 45 degrees, I start making kindling. I prefer a work enviroment between 50 and 60 degrees. More than that, I suffer...like I did for 5-1/2 years in Arizona.:oops::oops:

Kenm810
12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
I was just thinking about a relatively inexpensive way we could add a little warmth to our CW and CC machines
that are being operated in some of the cold weather shops and basements without a major investment.

Low power 110Volt ac long life heat lamp bulbs can last up to 6000 hour
And heat only a small area like a bench top not the entire room or shop.
You can buy bulbs that give off clear white light, natural day light, or on light at all.
They also can be plugged in to a timer or thermostat that turns them on only when needed.

An incandescent Infrared bulb and reflector holder can be bought for about $20.00 to $30.00
An entire automatic Infrared heating system can be purchased for about $70.00 to $90.00 or less.
That includes the Infrared bulb, holder, and thermostat with a remote sensor.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sugar-gliders.com/images/store/clamp-lamp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sugar-gliders.com/heat-emitter.htm&usg=__AICpyoBsQ1rCv7leibKLJ4Wgj4A=&h=331&w=250&sz=15&hl=en&start=123&tbnid=FckEdmuRpS7eAM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dheat%2Blamp%26start%3D108%26ndsp%3D18 %26hl%3Den%26rls%3DRNWE,RNWE:2005-31,RNWE:en%26sa%3DN (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sugar-gliders.com/images/store/clamp-lamp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sugar-gliders.com/heat-emitter.htm&usg=__AICpyoBsQ1rCv7leibKLJ4Wgj4A=&h=331&w=250&sz=15&hl=en&start=123&tbnid=FckEdmuRpS7eAM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dheat%2Blamp%26start%3D108%26ndsp%3D18 %26hl%3Den%26rls%3DRNWE,RNWE:2005-31,RNWE:en%26sa%3DN)

Amonaug
12-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Around 60 should be good. Below 50 not good. :)

mtylerfl
12-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello,

Operating temperature of the CompuCarve/CarveWright machines is between 60° to 100°.

I use an inexpensive oil-filled heater in my two-car garage size, insulated workshop - keeps the shop well within the operating temperature for my two machines, albeit, Brunswick, GA doesn't get below freezing outside very often.

My heater is a Honeywell HZ-690 purchased from Target a few years ago for around $40-$60, but I don't know if Target sells them anymore.

No matter - Amazon has a good selection of oil-filled heaters to choose from. Here is a link to just one of the many models...

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Oil%252dFilled-Radiator-Heater%252d-Gray%2528TRH0715T%2529/dp/B000WCG3ZM/ref=pd_sbs_hg_4

HelpBot3000
12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I've been told in the past to keep it above 55 F. Anything lower than that and board sensor problems start to creep in and then its Pandora's Box after that. At the very least if you have the machine in an uninsulated area I would strongly consider covering the machine with an old thick blanket that you don't plan on throwing on the bed anymore when the machine is not in use.

GrammaPam
12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Always, always be aware of the danger of spontaneous combustion with sparks and sawdust. Fine sanding dust more of a problem than carving chips. Any electrician can advise you. It is a whole science into it's self. Sheets of flash fire and all kinds of scary stuff. My husband refuses to heat the wood shop but built me an insulated studio to carve in. I just went out to check the temp, it's 55 in there right now. I have moved the bandsaw over there and I sand a little bit in there. Big sanders, table saw and scroll saw still in the cold shop. I put on long johns and an extra sweatshirt when I have to go in there, the work still needs to be done, especially right before Christmas. I use a shop vac on my downdraft table, an air purifier, sweep, vacuum, dust and even mop the floor regularly. And yes, I paint and varnish in there too.
I just ask you all to open your mind to the potential and educate yourself a little on the matter. There's plenty of good articles in the woodworking magazines and you can find a lot of them online. Sparks and sawdust is a real threat.
Merry Christmas and Happy Carving Days to all.
G.P.

djarboe
12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
:D Thanks for the inputs. Given my basement seems to always be about 60, I think I will give my new CW a try. I'll be back with more newbie questions, I have no doubt!

Yes, GrammaPam, I always worry about the explosive potential with wood dust, since my natural gas fired furnace and water heater are also in the basement shop. So, when sanding, I use BOTH my shop vac and dust collector, both with sub-micron filters. I also use an electrostatic air filter.

mtylerfl
12-23-2008, 12:23 PM
:D Thanks for the inputs. Given my basement seems to always be about 60, I think I will give my new CW a try. I'll be back with more newbie questions, I have no doubt!

Yes, GrammaPam, I always worry about the explosive potential with wood dust, since my natural gas fired furnace and water heater are also in the basement shop. So, when sanding, I use BOTH my shop vac and dust collector, both with sub-micron filters. I also use an electrostatic air filter.

No worries with the oil-filled heaters. Very safe even around fine sawdust in the air...no open flame, no sparks.

Mikewiz
12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
No worries with the oil-filled heaters. Very safe even around fine sawdust in the air...no open flame, no sparks.

But you have to worry about them getting to hot and causing a fire! My friend's sister's house burned down last week and one of those oil filled heaters was the cause of the fire.

djarboe
12-23-2008, 01:10 PM

I agree, this would be ideal. However, I had 4 1500W heaters going, and they didn't make a dent in the temperature. If my math is correct (which is always subject to question), I think I would need 6 1500W heaters to be in the same ballpark as one 30000 BTU natural gas heater. At that point, I could probably use my electricity meter as a router!

Again, I do indeed like the the idea of an oil filled heater, and even considered them, but the heat output just isn't there.

Jeff_Birt
12-23-2008, 01:26 PM
The 'big-picture' issue with precision machinery and temperature revolves around the word 'precision'. As Michael Tyler pointed out CW does have a specif temperature range that they recommend. This is the temperature range the machine was designed for; that is the range where all the precision parts are engineered to fit properly together.

All the bearings and bushings have a certain clearance needed for proper operation. Temperature ranges outside those recommended will cause the parts to shrink/expand to the point where the parts fit too loosely or too tightly. In fact many commercial machines have 'warm-up' programs that can be run to cycle the various parts of the machine to bring things up to the proper operational temperature.

In addition to the mechanical bits the electronics also have a temperature range in which they are designed to operate properly. Opto-electronic parts can be particularly sensitive to temperature.

I was really wanting to test carve a new pattern I made Sunday but I could not bring the temperature of my shop up much more than 50 degrees so I had to wait. Right no it is just 55 degrees so I'm hopeful I'll get to do it today. (I live on the other side of Missouri as the OP and it has been unusually cold here, if it were not for "Global Warming" we would really be in trouble. :rolleyes:) I think my old oil-filled heater is not working as well as it once did.

So, in short it was a very good question. It is good for all of us to consider our shop temperature this time of year.I have no doubt that CW will be receiving a whole bunch tech support calls caused by folks trying to carve in a 40 degree shop.

cnsranch
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
djarboe - check your private messages :p

HighTechOkie
12-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Spending a few hundred dollars to insulate/seal a garage is money well invested in my opinion. If you have a plain metal garage door you can buy sheets of Styrofoam to cut and fit in the panels. Also consider adding a roll or two of fiberglass batt in the ceiling Add weatherstrip to garage door, side door, attic access door. All will help save on heating bills.

Rob

HelpBot3000
12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
It is good for all of us to consider our shop temperature this time of year.I have no doubt that CW will be receiving a whole bunch tech support calls caused by folks trying to carve in a 40 degree shop.

lol no kidding.:) I hope a lot of people read this thread because it was an excellent question and not something most people think about until its too late and you have a Carvecicle.

djarboe
12-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm very grateful, and somewhat surprised, at the numerous and helpful posts/replies to my question. I just figured my question would make my newbieness stick out like a sore thumb.

Feeling much better/reassured about my 60 degree basement, I think I will finish up the roll around table for my shiny new CW.... and try it out.

Thanks to all of you.

mtylerfl
12-23-2008, 03:04 PM
But you have to worry about them getting to hot and causing a fire! My friend's sister's house burned down last week and one of those oil filled heaters was the cause of the fire.

You need to tell her not to put the heater near her gasoline storage bottle - that's about the only thing that I think could get lit from one of these type heaters. Even then, that would be very difficult indeed, unless she atomized the gasoline directly on the heater. ;)

All kidding aside and recognizing the tragedy of her loss, I'm guessing the heater was either defective, improperly placed (under curtains for example), or her wiring overheated and didn't trip the breaker which caused the fire.