PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo - first carvings.

Chas2K
12-22-2008, 01:06 PM
It took me a while to get the hang of using the software and the hardware and finally got a couple of test carvings out of the way. One with MDF and another with the shank end of a shelf project. Also helps to not confuse the cutting bit with the carving bit.

My first question to the group is; will this machine cut a round blank? Or an oval one? There are some ideas I have floating around and I would like to put them onto a round or oval shaped blank. Complete with borders, etc.

Glad to have joined. I picked up a Craftsman branded version due to it being a demo and half priced at that. I looked at the odometer and it had all of 20 minutes use on the floor. Not even broke in.

Merry Christmas to all the sawdusters out there and Happy New Year. Thanks in advance for any light you shine into my corner of the wood pile.

supershingler
12-22-2008, 01:19 PM
the machine cut perfect ovals and rounds

i made some rosettes for some handrail that you couldnt tell from factory

kendall

AskBud
12-22-2008, 02:57 PM
It took me a while to get the hang of using the software and the hardware and finally got a couple of test carvings out of the way. One with MDF and another with the shank end of a shelf project. Also helps to not confuse the cutting bit with the carving bit.

My first question to the group is; will this machine cut a round blank? Or an oval one? There are some ideas I have floating around and I would like to put them onto a round or oval shaped blank. Complete with borders, etc.

Glad to have joined. I picked up a Craftsman branded version due to it being a demo and half priced at that. I looked at the odometer and it had all of 20 minutes use on the floor. Not even broke in.

Merry Christmas to all the sawdusters out there and Happy New Year. Thanks in advance for any light you shine into my corner of the wood pile.
There are lots of Tutorials out there for you to review.

Start be going to my Signature, below, and clicking on the "Download" section. You can start by looking at "Using CutOut Tool". Then, I'm sure you will want to look at lots more.
AskBud

Kenm810
12-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Chas2K,

Welcome to the CW Forum

Here's a sample Board I put together
for you to mess around with
to get you started

Chas2K
12-22-2008, 04:37 PM
What I need to do is to create an oval or round pattern in the designer. Something that I can put a border on - automagically. Drag and drop - like a mirror frame or a plaque sort of thing. I would like to do a USN plaque on an oval shape with a rope border. That sort of thing without having to draw the rope border in by hand using a graphics program.

Guess I need to spend some more time in tutorials now that I have the machine doing my bidding rather than the other way around. As a software architect and developer it's always the hardest part to get the user to RTFM.

Chas2K
12-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Like a lot of noobs I asked before doing enough reading and researching, Looking for instant gratification I guess.

I found a rope border on the CW site and pulled it into the designer. Lo and behold it can be stretched and moved around just like what I needed.

So now I can make that USN anchor plaque for a buddy of mine.

Thanks for taking time to help folks. See y'all further down the road.