PDA

View Full Version : bad board sensor

supershingler
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
i just did a sensor test and must have a bad sensor as all i get is a 0 on the screen.

my question is will a bad board sensor affect carve quality.

i just replaces my qc and bought a new bit but trying to do a couple of lithos yesterday they all came or terrible. one was done with a previous upload that was still on the memory card. first one came out great two weeks ago and tried to do another yesterday and it was really bad.

ive been trying to get through to lhr for last half hour and just get "leave a message and we'll get back to you". out of last four messages left i have yet to get a return call

finally got trough to lhr and ordered aboard sensor

hope that does the trick

any help apprecitated

kendall

bjbethke
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
i just did a sensor test and must have a bad sensor as all i get is a 0 on the screen.

my question is will a bad board sensor affect carve quality.

i just replaces my qc and bought a new bit but trying to do a couple of lithos yesterday they all came or terrible. one was done with a previous upload that was still on the memory card. first one came out great two weeks ago and tried to do another yesterday and it was really bad.

ive been trying to get through to lhr for last half hour and just get "leave a message and we'll get back to you". out of last four messages left i have yet to get a return call

finally got trough to lhr and ordered aboard sensor

hope that does the trick

any help apprecitated

kendall
If the sensor reads zero it will not measure the width or the length of the board. You need a light color board set up in the machine to make the test. Use white paper to get the max reading. It may need cleaning, it is easy to remove.

ChrisAlb
12-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Kendall,

The answer to your question is no. Once the CW is through the measuring phase, the board sensors job is done. If you got to carving it, the sensor must have worked and your results must be due to something else.

liquidguitars
12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
your results must be due to something else.

Good point.. I would say it's time to do a vibration check
on all moving parts ASAP!

LG

FiddlemakerMills
12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
I would check the cutter first for a broken flute at the tip. This can cause a vibration and poor carving quality. ( I had one do this to me:mad:)

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
With a bit installed can you do the tug test? Carefully pull the bit in all directions looking for movement.

BB marks in the bit holders?

AL

supershingler
12-22-2008, 04:47 PM
i had a brand new bit in after changed the quick chuck. i also test the bid for play after every time i install a new bit in the qc.

i did a sensor check and all but the board sensor tested ok

i tried to do a calibrations check but could get past the board sensor error

i clean off the glass after every carve but havent taken it out to do a clean

with a mirror it didnt look full of sawdust.

i ordered a new board sensor today and will try tonight to take out the old one and see if i can clean it and reuse it

hope that does the trick as i can figure out what else it might be

everything sounded normal as far and the machine running and nothing look different as far as the carve was going

could there be a problem with the computer and how it is reading depth?

i reformated a memory card thinking that might be it but it didint seem to make any difference

kendall

supershingler
12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
the following two pictures were carved from the same memory card file
one before i changed my qc

second one after i put in new qc and new bit'
the second one was all scratchy and looked like it like something was dragging across it

could i possible have gotten a bad bit?

i need opinions and help please

thanks

kendall

Digitalwoodshop
12-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Any change in bit optimized? Between the two files... both done in Best?

Any loose bearings? X or Z? Loose Z Belt? Clean Z and Y rails?

AL

supershingler
12-23-2008, 07:26 AM
both done at best
no noticable bearing wear or nothing that i can find

kendall

Eagle Hollow
12-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Kendall,

I had a similar problem just after installing a new chuck (at 406 hours) The bit was not seating tightly. Tried almost everything except rolling the machine down the hill. Someoone posted picture of the chuck showing that the collar was not dropping completely down. Checking mine I could see that was true with mine (perhaps 32 inch from seating) I had to remove the chuck...ain't we got fun!?...oil it heavily with 3 in 1 then work it back and forth till it finally loosened up. I was fortunate. The new chuck had less than 5 hours on it. No damage is apparent and the carving has been flawless since.