PDA

View Full Version : Under The Rollers

Jossef
12-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I am trying to cut a piece that is 21" long. I have a good piece of wood that is 23" long. Will it work???

Thanks,
Joe

ChrisAlb
12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
If you're doing a cut out it's highly recommended to stay under rollers in which case you'll need 28" of wood.

If your doing just a carve it's up to you. I do carves all the time without staying under rollers. Even do some cut outs that way.

Just be sure the board is nice and flat and the out-feed trays are adjusted perfectly. I use two of my 4 foot levels. Center them in the machine, one on the keypad side and one on the opposite side. Crank the head down to clamp the levels in there and adjust my out-feed trays until they're snug against the levels. Snug to me is when the rollers won't spin easily if at all.

Amonaug
12-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Can always tape extra inches on the ends to keep it under the rollers. Have a look at the Tip & Tricks for sleds/rails.

ChrisAlb
12-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Oh yea Kevin.....DUH...do I feel silly http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif I didn't even think of that OR the use of a sled which I'm in the middle of using now....DUH

Just went to start that 14 hour mirror and one of my original traction belts snapped on the measure. DARN!!!

Put a call in to my buddy AL (AKA...Chris's emergency parts supplier) but I guess he was up late last night (big surprise there) and I had to leave a message. Sure hope he has a set kicking around. I was really hoping to get this puppy shipped to it's home in Texas tomorrow....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

TerryT
12-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Chris I have one I'll loan. Prolly take as long to send it as it would to get one from LHR though.

I have parts, clock inserts and a bunch of stuff sitting on FedEx and UPS trucks but they won't deliver them. Problem is we have over 3 feet of snow and the roads haven't been plowed! Guess I'll have to hook up the dogs to my carving sled and MUSH over there to get them. LOL

ChrisAlb
12-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Terry,

Thanks for the offer...LOL. We have about a foot of the white stuff here but it stopped falling yesterday so things are getting cleared up.

I'll call LHR first thing and get a couple sets ordered. It's funny, Things don't go bad on my machine very often but when they do, I call Al and he usually has it. Then I call LHR and order it so I can give it back to Al.

After 430 hours I finally decided to order a few back up parts for myself last Thursday. Unfortunately, belts were not on the list. Just didn't think of them. Till now that is...LOL

Eagle Hollow
12-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Can you "patch" the belt with canvas and contact cement? It worked for me

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Back in the shop and Chris is on the way... Another Happy Carving Day.... Merry Carvness... And a Happy New .ptn LOL..

Quit early last night, 11 PM.

AL

Dan-Woodman
12-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Chris
www.customsandingbelts.com has them for under $4.50 ea. if your interested.
later Daniel

ChrisAlb
12-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Can you "patch" the belt with canvas and contact cement? It worked for me

I don't know there Dr. Jerry, think we can save it? LOL

Once again it's BIG AL to the rescue. THANKS BUDDY!!! I'll get the order in today.

I'll get the CW fixed in only a few minutes. But starting a 14 carve now that will run in the basement until 1 or 2am??? That's strictly the WIFES call...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

Eagle Hollow
12-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Hang in there Hoss..she loves you

ChrisAlb
12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Well it's back together and humming along. Even with the late start the wife approved the late night carve...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif.....Hmmmm....come to think of it, that makes me nervous. I have the feeling I'll be on the hook for something here...:confused:

After all this, I sure hope this baby comes out as planned. Time will tell. LOTS of time...LOL

atauer
12-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Chris,

Good to hear that you are back in business. I myself hope that the project comes out as planned as well. There has been alot of time put into this thing.

Can't wait to see the finished carve.

ChrisAlb
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Alex,

So far so good it seems. About 4% in now which is about halfway through the corner roses. Seems like it's it's carving about a 1/16 off center width wise but isn't making any noticeable difference overall.

We could could have gone just a "smidgen" deeper with the carved region too. It's leaving an ever so thin wafer of wood that's through in some spots and not in others. But it's so thin you can push through with your finger.

I did check the board and it's right on 3/4" thick but with the sled mount it could be fooling the CW a little bit. I can't wait to see the finished carve too buddy. I so seldom carve in any nice hardwood due to cost that I'm dying to see how this oak comes out on the best setting.

COME ON 14 HOURS AND GET HERE....LOL

Eagle Hollow
12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't know there Dr. Jerry, think we can save it? LOL

Once again it's BIG AL to the rescue. THANKS BUDDY!!! I'll get the order in today.

I'll get the CW fixed in only a few minutes. But starting a 14 carve now that will run in the basement until 1 or 2am??? That's strictly the WIFES call...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

Nope...It's DOM (Dead on machine0

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Good job Chris,

Merry CarveWright and a Happy .ptn

Should copyright that phrase.... LOL.

Fumes.... Fumes..... Been painting signs for 5 days now in the warm shop.... Water Base but Fumes no the less....

AL