PDA

View Full Version : new qc and them problems

supershingler
12-21-2008, 05:26 PM
i just installed a new qc in my carver because of my stupidity. i did not check the screws in the side of the carving bit and one came lose and bit tiped and broke the side of qc out.

after i put my qc in my quality had dropped dramatically.
i did a litho of the last supper before i had to replace the old qc that came out great

today when i tried to do another off the memory card identical to the first it came out awful. looks like someone tried to paint a portrait with a 2" wide brush.

i then did a carving in wood and the sides of the carve regions were really rough and the carve was not as smooth and previous carves.

i tried to to a calabration test and i cant seem to get past the point where the cw cuts a slot in the board and then i get a error 400

do i have a bad board sensor or did i bend something when the bit turned sideways and broke my chuck.

im in a tizzy trying to figure this out.

all help and s uggestions appreciated

thank

kendall

RanUtah
01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm kinda going through the same thing right now. I replaced the QC due to that I didn't have the bit adapter in securely and it threw a bit breaking the QC. Now that I have the new one installed I have been having a heck of time changing out bits and have also noticed that bits wobble some. I don't think they have always did that. They don't turn semetically. I haven't had a good test carve yet. Also there is a what looks to be some kind of retainer?? that wants to come out from the bottom of the Z-truck just above the QC. I have been gently taking a screw driver and pushing it back in. Either something was damged when the bit was thrown or was damaged during the installation of the new QC.:confused:

Any words of wisdom here or do I to get a whole new Z-truck?:roll:

Tom75
01-18-2009, 08:05 AM
when you have the bit insatalled and give it a wiggel from left to right and front to back is there play in it ( the shaft the qc is on ) ?

ChrisAlb
01-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Randy,

When you put your new QC on, did you use new bit adapters as well? If not, the adapters can ruin the new QC.

The retainer you describe sounds like the spindle bearing tensioner and I think Tom is on to something. If that retainer is coming out, it's possible the wobble you feel is actually in the spindle at that lower bearing.

I've never had to deal with the spindle bearings so I don't know if you can just replace them or if a new truck is needed. That's something I would ask LHR about.

TerryT
01-18-2009, 08:29 AM
It's just my opinion, but I think this is the major cause of just about all of the problems folks have with the carvewright. Some times you get a good QC, sometimes even brand new, they have major vibration. If you get a good one it can go 400 or 500 hours. If you have one that produces a lot of vibration you get broken board sensors, parts falling off etc. I got 140 hours from my first QC. It failed because I over lubed it. The replacement was DOA right from the box. The third one has gone over 300 hours with no problems. I had a brand new one for a spare that I installed as a test. I couldn't believe the differnce in vibration and noise level. In addition while using the out of balance, brand new one, my board sensor broke and an unidentified C-clip was found on top of my carving. I still don't know where that came from. I re installed the old QC and the machine runs as smooth as can be.

I also believe this may have something to do with why some people say they make one pass cutouts with no problems and others break bits every six or eight inches. If the QC doesn't hold the bit perfectly straight the runout at the tip will cause it to flex too much and break the bit.
I'm not sure what would cause the difference, but I know that not all QC's are created equally.

RanUtah
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
When you put your new QC on, did you use new bit adapters as well? If not, the adapters can ruin the new QC.

Chris, The bit adapters I used were older and they were in great shape, no bearing indents, etc. I did try a new one and it did have a better fit. But I do believe that the wobble was there right after I changed out the QC.

Terry, I do tend to agree with what your saying. I did call LHR and they did recommend changing out the Z truck so I'll give that a go. Also ordered new bit adapters.

Jeff_Birt
01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. When you change out the QC you need to get the spindle threads absolutely clean. Any old loc-tite left on there can cause the chuck to cant to one side just a bit and cause excessive run-out. Also, the inside of the bottom of the spindle shaft also needs to be cleaned very well. The inner ring of the chuck fits up inside the spindle shaft and aligns the two pieces if you don't get it clean it too can cause excessive run-out.

supershingler
01-19-2009, 12:10 PM
ran

i installed my new qc and had problems getting the bits to seat properly
another forum member suggested that i take it back out and and lubed it up and reinstalled it an have had great luck with the qc.

ive been down with someother problems but hope to be up and running tonight.

i did a test carve with the new qc that turned out great. also i found out that the new bit i bought had to be adjusted because there was too much bit coming through the adapter for the bit to seat properly.

kendall