PDA

View Full Version : Sequencing of cuts

BlueRocco
12-20-2008, 05:38 PM
I am looking through everything here and I haven't found any method of ordering the sequence of cuts made, unless I use a series of projects on the same board. Is there any way I can manage the sequence of cuts? I was hoping to plane away a portion of the board I'm working on by using the 3/8" bit first so I could save some time with the carving process. I have created a recess in the wood with connected lines and the 3/8" bit which shaved a considerable amount of time off the the project compared to using the carving bit to make the same recess. I would like to do this first in some areas of my project and then carve over the same area. Is there any way to do something like this in the same project?

Thanks,

Micheal

Amonaug
12-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish. Are you saying carve out a region then carve something deeper into that region? You really aren't saving any time.

Anyhow the carving order which cannot be changed by us is

Raster (like the free patterns that come with the CW)
Vector paths (such as used with the draw tool or centerline text)
Drilling holes
Cut paths

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2008, 07:10 PM
If I get your request, you want to use the 3/8 inch bit to hog out an area then carve something in that area.

Well the carving bit will start at the surface of the board and if you hog out an area it will just pass through the area as if carving and not save you any time. And you can't force it to do the hog out cutting unless you setup 2 cut files.

Waste of time I believe. Most likely possible with a Shop Bot but not Designer.

AL

BlueRocco
12-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes that is the gist of it. I was actually trying to save time and enhance some of the dust collection. Carving also really pits the sides of a recess and I thought it might be nice to have a clean cut around the edges. But according to the previous post I can still clean up the edges of a carved recess by running a vector path as well as the carving and the vector cut would follow after the carve. That will do most of what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the info!

<If I get your request, you want to use the 3/8 inch bit to hog out an area then carve something in that area.

Well the carving bit will start at the surface of the board and if you hog out an area it will just pass through the area as if carving and not save you any time. And you can't force it to do the hog out cutting unless you setup 2 cut files.

Waste of time I believe. Most likely possible with a Shop Bot but not Designer.

AL>