PDA

View Full Version : When to get a new bit?

lostinthefrost
12-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Quick question. Roughly how many hours ( i know it varies per your projects) till you start looking at getting a new 1/16 carving bit if it's all I have been using?

AskBud
12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I would say that it would be good to have a spare on hand (just in case).
AskBud

bjbethke
12-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Quick question. Roughly how many hours ( i know it varies per your projects) till you start looking at getting a new 1/16 carving bit if it's all I have been using?
I purchased my CW last December, Cut motor hours 111.31. I have a spare carving and cutting bits. The carving bit is still OK, I check my carvings with my spare and they look the same. My cutting bit is showing ware my original bit is showing burn marks and not getting rid of the chips on long carves. My 90 degree "V" bit is also showing ware and I need to replace it soon. I do replace my adapters when they show ware and replaced two QC's, also replaced the Z Truck it formed a crack in the lower right corner, it came with a new QC.

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I replaced my cut bit at 800+ hours and saw the difference in smoothness of the cut.

Might have needed to replace it earlier.

AL

Deolman
12-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow 800+ hours! Al are you adding up the time from all of your machines? Not just the Carvewrights alone.

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2008, 10:34 PM
OK... Went and looked.... Machine #1 is over 800 hours and has not been used since October, I need to swap a QC. Machine 2 is getting up there.... I had really planned to get machine #1 to 1000 hours by Christmas but I ended up using machine 2 for everything running up it's hours. #3 I am not sure, 200 something but from the previous owner, I have not carved anything with it yet. Need to replace a Y bearing.

Anyone else out there have High Hours? LG?

1349 combined cut hours....

It's 11:30 PM and my carve machine has just finished cutting 3 oval signs for Christmas and I just finished painted them... So much fun..... Then there is the Brown Signs with White Letters... So much fun to do double sided....

Thank goodness for Latex Paint and water base finish.

Done

Night Night... AL :)

FiddlemakerMills
12-20-2008, 10:39 PM
530 on mine as of today. Replaced the carving bit once due to part of the carbide broke off (dropped the darn thing). About 100 hrs on the new one. Carving maple mostly.

Deolman
12-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Al, you really are kidding us about sleeping, aren't you? LOL

Rocky
12-21-2008, 05:36 AM
I only have about 30 hours on mine. I'm a rookie compared to some. :)

I haven't noticed any wear on my carving bit;seems very sharp. However, I am disappointed with my 60 and 90 degree bits because the tip ( a piece less than 1/16" in size) broke off on both bits. I did use the 90 degree bit to carve letters on 2 pieces of Corian, but the 60 degree bit was just used on wood. I'm going to try a different brand for the 60 & 90.

ChrisAlb
12-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I bought the full bit set with my CW and have just over 430 cut hours. All the shaping bits are good as new but they get used for various things so I'd be hard pressed to nail down how much time is on each one. I do use them all at different times for different projects.

But the carving and cutting bits have been used on every project. At roughly 300 hours when 1.130 came out and I had some burning issues on cut outs, I replaced the cut bit thinking it was dull. The new bit burned as well until I replaced the cut motor and got rid of the turbo speed issue. I went back to my original cut bit and it's cutting fine. So 430 + hours for that one.

The carving bit at around the same 300 hours showed just a little wear on the tip when compared to a new one. It's maybe like 3/32 instead of 1/16. It still carves fine but if I have very small intricate patterns, I use the new one. When the patterns are larger without much small detail, I use the original.

I should note that I carve "mainly" in pine and poplar which produce more pitch and require more cleaning but is probably a bit easier on the bits overall than hardwoods.

Rocky
12-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Rockler has a good sale on a set of 3 carving bits.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17227&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=V9724&ref_id=6361&ref_t=Z&originid=101666566

Kenm810
12-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I ordered a set yesterday for spare Bits, added some sanding disc
and got Free Shipping for a $50.00 Order

Rocky
12-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I ordered a set yesterday for spare Bits, added some sanding disc
and got Free Shipping for a $50.00 Order

Use code V9724 at checkout and ANY size order has free shipping.

Kenm810
12-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for tip Rocky
I'll save that one!!

Rocky
12-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for tip Rocky
I'll save that one!!

You're welcome......it expires on 12/25/2008.

Kenm810
12-21-2008, 10:34 AM
OK -- More stuff under the Tree for Me http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

liquidguitars
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I go through my share of 1/8 " cut bits.. :(

I think using sleds adds a little more play in the table system adding stress the bit over time.

A carving bit should last about the same as a hand router bit or less around 120 hrs..

LG

GrammaPam
12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
You folks with all these carving hours... who sets up your art for you and how do you get any time on the forum? The doctor must be prescribing antara in error, make sure they know that's sawdust in your system, not cholesterol.
Other than that, good for you.
G.P.

lostinthefrost
12-23-2008, 11:03 AM
lol I only have 20 hours on mine and that's running it for a few hours a night after work trying to crank out presents before thursday.

Jeff_Birt
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
A carving bit should last about the same as a hand router bit or less around 120 hrs..

LG

I think LG had a very good point that is worth repeating. Bits are a consumable part. They will not last 200-300 actual carving hours. They will dull and make your machine work much harder to get the job done. Find yourself a good magnifying glass or cheap microscope to get a good look at the actual wear.

bjbethke
12-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I think LG had a very good point that is worth repeating. Bits are a consumable part. They will not last 200-300 actual carving hours. They will dull and make your machine work much harder to get the job done. Find yourself a good magnifying glass or cheap microscope to get a good look at the actual wear.
Jeff, magnifying is a great idea. I use my scanner to do that, and you can print out an 8 by 10 if you want to. My scanner can scan to 6400DPI. You can look at your complete bit set at one time. And keep a record of how long they last.

Jeff_Birt
12-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Jeff, magnifying is a great idea. I use my scanner to do that,

Very interesting idea. Do you have any trouble keeping the bits in focus?

bjbethke
12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Very interesting idea. Do you have any trouble keeping the bits in focus?
Jeff, I scanned a few photos I don't have trouble keeping the bits in focus.

I use an older scanner (EPSON PERFECTON 2450 PHOTO) these were scanned at 2400 DPI, but the file size was about 5 MB, I reduced then to post on the Forum. The cutting bit that turns black when I use it has a bad tip, about 3/8th inch on the tip.

On image #3 you can see the damage on the adapter. The bit would lock in tight, no movement when testing it.

I can e-mail you the large images if you would like to have them.

Digitalwoodshop
12-24-2008, 10:27 AM
I see BB marks on picture 2. Your QC is worn out and needs to be replaced. The Bit holder is bad with the BB marks. If you just put a new bit holder in the bad QC it will get BB marks shortly. You need to replace the QC and all the worn bit holders.

Looks like the bit is burned too, dull and overheated.

AL

bjbethke
12-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I see BB marks on picture 2. Your QC is worn out and needs to be replaced. The Bit holder is bad with the BB marks. If you just put a new bit holder in the bad QC it will get BB marks shortly. You need to replace the QC and all the worn bit holders.

Looks like the bit is burned too, dull and overheated.

AL
Al, the first image and the third image is the same bit, I do not use that bit any more. It is the bit that came with the machine last December. It has seen many hours. It did burn the wood.

I posted those images because Jeff asked if I can get a good focus when using my scanner.