PDA

View Full Version : Z stall error 248

dwwilson44
12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
I just got a Sears Compucarve and upgraded the software to ver 1.131. I wanted to try a simple pattern just to get started. I created the pattern and uploaded it and put the card in the machine. I could not get beyond the scan area when I selected 1-projects and as it tried to scan the area I got z-axis stall error 248. The board is 2.5" wide and about 36" long. I was not sure what it wanted when it asked for the starting point and ending point but I moved the carriage to define what I thought was the general area for the carving which would only be about 2" square. As the machine started to scan I got the z-axis stall error 248. I have the board inserted, the top cranked down - I followed all the instructions in the manual. It is frustrating to have a new machine that has a problem right from the beginning. What am I doing wrong?

Jeff_Birt
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, sounds like your trying to scan with the carving bit :confused:

What is displayed on the screen when you first turn the machine on? Does it just say "Scan Area?". If so you just need to tell the machine what type of connection your machine uses for a scanning probe. As you just got your machine it should use the cover connection. So press (from the top of my head, do a quick search if this does not work): 0 for options, scroll to a screen that says something like "probe type", press enter until the screen says "Cover". Then hit stop a few times till you get back to the main screen. Shut the machine off, then turn back on and it should come up in the 1) Projects menu.

BTW, welcome to the forum. You'll find the forum's 'Search' tool will be invaluable for finding answers to questions like this. Also, please check out the Tips&Tricks newsletters on the main CW site under the 'Support' tab. Reading through them will help you avoid many of the common newbie errors that we have all made with a new machine.

Rocky
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I just got a Sears Compucarve and upgraded the software to ver 1.131. I wanted to try a simple pattern just to get started. I created the pattern and uploaded it and put the card in the machine. I could not get beyond the scan area when I selected 1-projects and as it tried to scan the area I got z-axis stall error 248. The board is 2.5" wide and about 36" long. I was not sure what it wanted when it asked for the starting point and ending point but I moved the carriage to define what I thought was the general area for the carving which would only be about 2" square. As the machine started to scan I got the z-axis stall error 248. I have the board inserted, the top cranked down - I followed all the instructions in the manual. It is frustrating to have a new machine that has a problem right from the beginning. What am I doing wrong?

I'm assuming that your project is less than 29" long to allow 3.5" on each end.

A couple questions, first:

> Where on the board length is your carve to be placed? The middle?

> With your hand, can you move the z-truck up and down on its track?

> Are you trying to use the arrow keys on the key pad to position where to start carving?

dwwilson44
12-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Jeff, you're advice worked with a little different menu approach than you mentioned, but I found it. It then carved very well. I need to get used to when to tell it to keep it under the rollers and when to scale, but as I recall, if you always have 3.5" extra length on each end, you don't need to tell it to keep it under the rollers. I am going to try something else now.

Rocky, I had it placed in the middle and I did get away from the scan issue based on the advice from Jeff above. Thanks for your support.

Rocky
12-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Jeff, you're advice worked with a little different menu approach than you mentioned, but I found it. It then carved very well. I need to get used to when to tell it to keep it under the rollers and when to scale, but as I recall, if you always have 3.5" extra length on each end, you don't need to tell it to keep it under the rollers. I am going to try something else now.

Rocky, I had it placed in the middle and I did get away from the scan issue based on the advice from Jeff above. Thanks for your support.

Great! Happy carving!

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Missed that cracker.... :(

AL