PDA

View Full Version : EZ Carve Software

Technicow
12-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi All,

We've just finished EZ Carve. It is a software package designed specifically for CarveWright users. Making heightfields by hand is a nightmare, and trying to get a paint program to do it is troublesome since they are not really designed to make C & C depth fields.

Complex Heightfields are easy as a snap with the program. You can customize the profiles ( It is like designing your own routing bit ).

I've attached some pics of a quick little welcome sign for our neighbour. It took roughly 3 minutes to apply the depth cuts in the design.

The program is now complete & tested and available, a demo is available (it is limited to modifying the help and tutorial images, but otherwise fully functional). Everyone is invited to take it for a spin and if you like it, it is very reasonably priced at only $19.95 (USD) as a digital download.

To check it out, you can goto our website www.technicow.com and chose the EZ Carve link.

I'll be posting up patterns over the next several days to the sharing thread so you can see what the program creates.

Thanks,
Andy

Technicow Creations

Skyhawk
12-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Andy,

This looks great! Especially for those who don't have or can't afford something like Corel...and for those who don't have the 'graphic artist expertise'...

One thing that I would like to see is an 'Undo' button which will help getting just the right look...

Also I noticed that when I go to save the default option is BMP and when I click the drop-down list to select another format, I get an odd looking entry...

Will updates to this be included with the initial price? Or will there be an update fee?

Technicow
12-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the input, all input is very much appreciated.

The top button on the Right hand side is an undo, but I plan on making it more than one step. I'll look at the jibberish on that save and yes... updates are free. We've never ever charged for an update for anything (I hate when companies do that).

Also, the toolbar that is shown at the top of the website is free for everyone. If you have a CarveWright related site, or your own Site, or perhaps a great place for wood and supplies, send me a PM or an email on the website and I'll add it to the toolbar. It will autoupdate for everyone with any new additions!

Thanks,
Andy

Andy,

This looks great! Especially for those who don't have or can't afford something like Corel...and for those who don't have the 'graphic artist expertise'...

One thing that I would like to see is an 'Undo' button which will help getting just the right look...

Also I noticed that when I go to save the default option is BMP and when I click the drop-down list to select another format, I get an odd looking entry...

Will updates to this be included with the initial price? Or will there be an update fee?

Dan-Woodman
12-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Andy
Can you make a simple program like that , that will turn scanned line drawings into vecter paths Such as printed scrollsaw patterns will scan into , then into designer.
later Daniel

Rocky
12-21-2008, 04:54 AM
Andy
Can you make a simple program like that , that will turn scanned line drawings into vecter paths Such as printed scrollsaw patterns will scan into , then into designer.
later Daniel

I'd love to have a program like that.

ruggybear
12-21-2008, 04:59 AM
I purchased the program but, I'll be darned if I can figure it out. How about a small tutorial to get us going? I have been playing with a picture (jpg, bmp or gif) and just can't get it going.

brdad
12-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Andy
later Daniel

You can do that now just by placing a pattern on your board, selecting outline pattern, removing the original pattern and assigning the appropriate bit to the outline vectors. I learned that from the forums here and just carved a project for a gift the other day using that technique.

What would be nice - is if Designer could save the outlines as vector patterns. I know a few people have converted images to a font as a workaround.

ChrisAlb
12-21-2008, 07:38 AM
What would be nice - is if Designer could save the outlines as vector patterns. I know a few people have converted images to a font as a workaround.

Actually, you can, sort of. If you apply a carved region to you vector path, group it (or them) and then use the pattern making tool you can create a pattern out of it and save it in your library. Then you put it back on the board and select outline pattern again.

A bit of a workaround for now but it's possible.

bjbethke
12-21-2008, 07:51 AM
I downloaded your demo; I can't load an image to check it out. The only thing it loads is the instructions (Tutorials)

Skyhawk
12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
I downloaded your demo; I can't load an image to check it out. The only thing it loads is the instructions (Tutorials)

The trial version only supports the sample images...after purchasing you can open any image!

bjbethke
12-21-2008, 08:56 AM
The trial version only supports the sample images...after purchasing you can open any image!
Do not see any samples in my download, only Tutorials

Skyhawk
12-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Do not see any samples in my download, only Tutorials

The tutorials are the sample images...You can open any of the tutorial images and use any of the tools and even save the image (I would use a different name as the unregistered version will only open the unmodified tutorial images)...

bjbethke
12-21-2008, 09:17 AM
You can do that now just by placing a pattern on your board, selecting outline pattern, removing the original pattern and assigning the appropriate bit to the outline vectors. I learned that from the forums here and just carved a project for a gift the other day using that technique.

To get a true Scroll Saw Pattern you would need vectors with closed loops. I do that with Corel or Illustrator.

brdad
12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
I installed the program and it is not working.

I believe it locks up when I click the apply carve button. It locks up hard enough that I have to force a shutdown, and I get virtual memory low errors. I can load and view the tutorial images, and can exit the program fine as long as I don't click the apply carve button.

My machine is not the newest, 2.7 GHz, 2 GB of ram and 40+ GB free disk space. But it seems to run all my other apps well and I have never gotten the virtual memory low error before.

Looks like it could be an interesting program once the bugs are worked out and perhaps the user interface is improved upon a bit. If you'd like me to try something to help get mine to work I'd be willing to do so.

Rocky
12-21-2008, 09:34 AM
To get a true Scroll Saw Pattern you would need vectors with closed loops. I do that with Corel or Illustrator.

Can you also do that with Adobe PhotoShop? I have PS, but I'm just a novice using it.

Thanks,

roughcut
12-21-2008, 10:41 AM
I bought the program it seems to do everything it said . I just played around with it I made this with just a few clicks

roughcut
12-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I for got to say I started with this bmp

jcorder
12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
does this software convert any jpg or bmp so it is carvable without the clean up hassle?

Technicow
12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Actually that is the next project, the boss (my wife) says so. She does stained glass (we owned one of the largest stained glass shops here in Vegas). She's been on me for some time to do this, so it is next in "line" (no pun intended).

Andy

Andy
later Daniel

Technicow
12-21-2008, 12:21 PM
It can do a bit of cleanup with the Expand buttons but I personally wouldnt rely on that getting cleaned up perfectly. It works with deliberate "laboratory created" test images, but when released in the wild with a JPG of a tree it really doesn't fix them up as any of us would like.

Andy

does this software convert any jpg or bmp so it is carvable without the clean up hassle?

bjbethke
12-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Can you also do that with Adobe PhotoShop? I have PS, but I'm just a novice using it.

Thanks,
Not sure if Photoshop alone would do more than you can do in the CW designer. You would need a trace function. And then make your design loops and be able to group and ungroup then to move them around and then weld the vectors so you have a pattern that will not fall apart when you cut it out. Corel works the best for me. I use Photoshop allot to remove the background. Hope this helps.

mostlycold
06-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Andy,

Just purchased and downloaded free version form your website dated 6/6/2009. Keep getting a "Can't find MFC42D.Dll" error - says reinstalling should correct problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times still no luck. Have Vista on high end machine. Bought software because I recognize your name brand (my wife is also into warm and stained glass and has your fusing software). Wish I had known you were in Vegas, we were just there for the Int'l Glass show in March - would have looked you up. Any ideas on the install would help, not sure what to do next......

Thanx Dan
Eagle River Alaska

Technicow
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Andy,

Just purchased and downloaded free version form your website dated 6/6/2009. Keep getting a "Can't find MFC42D.Dll" error - says reinstalling should correct problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times still no luck. Have Vista on high end machine. Bought software because I recognize your name brand (my wife is also into warm and stained glass and has your fusing software). Wish I had known you were in Vegas, we were just there for the Int'l Glass show in March - would have looked you up. Any ideas on the install would help, not sure what to do next......

Thanx Dan
Eagle River Alaska

Hi Dan,

Easy fix! I'll have that corrected in minutes and will send a PM / email!

thanks,
Andy