PDA

View Full Version : Vectors and Text/Fonts

JT75
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I hate to be a new user with complaints, but I'm hoping you guys can give me workarounds. I am a signmaker and have a vinyl cutter and was hoping the CW software was going to be like that. Make things in vector form for cutting. Unfortunately it isn't and I'm really surprised that Designer can't handle vectors.

So, I've seen/tried making a bitmap with a transparent background then importing that and making a cut path. Sounds like a workaround but it doesn't look like it will be a smooth outline. Any clue on the resolution needed to make a smooth outline?

So the standard software won't cut wood letters from a midpoint I understand. ok, that works like the vinyl cutter software, I suppose I'll have to spring for the upgrade. I tried exporting my vector to a font in Corel, but that didn't work. I think I've read this can be done to import in Designer. What are you using to do this.

Any help is appreciated. I got my CC from Sears for $1599(NEW!) and did get the 5year warranty(hoping they won't put up a fight if I need repairs). My flex shaft had no lube on it...if anyone is counting.
Thanks
Joe

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Joe,

A work around you are working with is a good option. I needed a Champaign glass for a sign. I brought it in as a picture making it into a pattern. Then put it on a 12 x 12 board and zoomed in and using the line tools and connect tool I drew lines making sure I saw the node light up red so it connected. After drawing you can go back and correct the nodes and delete the pattern. I complete the outline and connect the last to the first node. I end up with many data points. Later I select it and select outline and it reduces the number of nodes. I delete the hand drawn lines and use the outline.

You can then use the cut out feature or I assigned the 1/8 inch bit and set the depth to .01 and let it outline it.

AL

bjbethke
12-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I hate to be a new user with complaints, but I'm hoping you guys can give me workarounds. I am a signmaker and have a vinyl cutter and was hoping the CW software was going to be like that. Make things in vector form for cutting. Unfortunately it isn't and I'm really surprised that Designer can't handle vectors.

So, I've seen/tried making a bitmap with a transparent background then importing that and making a cut path. Sounds like a workaround but it doesn't look like it will be a smooth outline. Any clue on the resolution needed to make a smooth outline?

So the standard software won't cut wood letters from a midpoint I understand. ok, that works like the vinyl cutter software, I suppose I'll have to spring for the upgrade. I tried exporting my vector to a font in Corel, but that didn't work. I think I've read this can be done to import in Designer. What are you using to do this.

Any help is appreciated. I got my CC from Sears for $1599(NEW!) and did get the 5year warranty(hoping they won't put up a fight if I need repairs). My flex shaft had no lube on it...if anyone is counting.
Thanks
Joe
Not sure what kind of output you want from the CW, are you looking for a cutout like a scroll saw cut? I have CorelDraw x4, and you can input the vector drawing, fill the image and then export it as a PNG file. Or if you have a Bitmap image, use power trace to change it to a vector image and export it as a PNG file. In the CW designer make a PTN, and use the Outline Pattern(s) function. The outline will be in a vector format, remove the PTN or set the depth to Zero, and select a bit to make your carving.

You can also use Adobe Illustrator that trace function is “Live Trace” it works a little different than Corel. I use both depending what type of output I want for my CW carving.

JT75
12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes, I'd like to cut out shapes with the CW.
If I have a vector to start with, there should be no need to make it a bitmap then convert it to an outline. I made a huge PNG file, imported it, outlined it and it appears jagged. There is no smoothing apparently.

What's a PTN? Outline pattern?
What size and dpi are you using?

Amonaug
12-19-2008, 10:59 PM
If I have a vector to start with, there should be no need to make it a bitmap then convert it to an outline. I made a huge PNG file, imported it, outlined it and it appears jagged. There is no smoothing apparently.

Designer works at 128 dpi. If the original picture that you saved in .png was smooth you shouldn't have any jagged outline as .png is a non-loss format, ie there's no compression unlike .jpg

If the font you are using is in your windows you can use the text in designer then use outline pattern on the text and get the same thing.

bjbethke
12-20-2008, 01:02 AM

((What's a PTN? Outline pattern? What size and dpi are you using?))

PTN; is the pattern file in CW designer (.ptn)

I export my (.png) images at 300 dpi from Corel and Illustrator

I make the PTN’s in the Pattern Editor this program comes with the scanning probe.

The 1/8th inch cutting bit makes a clean cut, if it is sharp. You will get tabs to hold the peaces when carving; they are easy to clean up.