PDA

View Full Version : fish patteren AGAIN!!

pcolausmcdad
12-19-2008, 08:23 AM
:confused: well here i am again guys,i followed ya'lls advice and got the fish patteren to go full size(thanks bunches)BUT,ya'll are not gonna believe what happened:confused: i bought a piece of poplar 24x12x1,set carver up and let her go.everything looked great untill i noticed the bit was carving through the board.ok,it'll be a cut out view right? oh nooooo,part of carving did'nt go through,there were off sets every where,from the tail of the tropical fish to the dorsil fin it would go one depth and jump up to a higher point then go back down to a lower point!!! it looks like some sort of weird abstract,different cut depths,cuts where there should not be any!!
any way,is poplar not a good wood to use? it's very pretty when finished up,i've used it many times in other projects,just not in the carve machine.
thanks again-
jimbo8)

Hexe SA
12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
like you have a loose QC or bit. Carved plenty of poplar on the machine, only got the stair stepping when the bit was loose or the QC. May what to check if your Z-truck wobbles.
Eva

mtylerfl
12-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Hello Jimbo,

If the problem is QC or bit related...

Remove your bit and place a mirror under the QC. Make sure there is NO sawdust packed in the crevices - use a toothbrush and a toothpick to get it all out.

Then put a little 3-in-one oil on a finger and swab the inside lighty. Then put the bit back in.

Place the mirror under the QC and check to be sure the two red indicator marks are "touching". If they are, then your bit is fully seated. If the red marks don't touch each other then remove the bit and reinstall it.

If you ran the machine for very long with the bit not fully seated, there is a good chance you may have experienced damage to the bit adaptors and/or the QC. Look at your bit adaptors - if you see deep "BB" marks, then the damage has been done and you'll need to replace both the QC and the adaptor(s) before using the machine again.

Please let us know how you make out and if you have any other questions we may help you with.

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Since you are new to this and a new machine, it is possible your machine has the old Z motor and it is missing counts and digging deeper into the board.

Here is a picture so you can tell what Z you have. The old Z was known for carving too deep. Call LHR.

Unless the artwork was set up too deep.

AL

DocWheeler
12-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Jimbo,

My understanding of your stated problem is that the carving depth varies from one Y path to the next. If that is the case then the following might be relevant - otherwise, ignore it.

See if the Z truck moves smoothly up and down with the power off to see if there is an obstruction on the rails or the belt teeth. Also check for sawdust in the Z encoder on the back-end of the Z motor. I think that I saw a pdf about cleaning the encoder areas.

pcolausmcdad
12-19-2008, 04:48 PM
you guys are GREAT to put up with all us newbies:) i think maybe some dust got behind the z'er and truck area gonna try again BOY YOU YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

merry christmas to everyone on the forum,going outa town and won't bug ya;ll till next year:-D
thanks again=
JIMBO:cool: