PDA

View Full Version : Another great day of carving

Ike
12-18-2008, 06:00 PM
This morning it warmed up, it was 20 degrees! I attempted to warm up my sign shop with it's electric heater, but it was going slow. So I brought out the big guns and put a kerosene heater the shop.

At the first carving I used my hair dryer to help get the lube warmed up and as the CW went through it's steps they were flawless! I am glad that I came in the last of it cutting out a border. It started to burn so I decided to hand cut the rest.

Before the storm comes in I am making 4 more 4" by 24" signs. I am taking a short cut though I am using a 9.5" by 24" to carve 2 signs and I will cut then into 4" wide signs after it is done. I also managed to make 4 apple pies to give to our friends. I will make more next week for Christmas. But it will be apple, cherry, blackberry and pumpkin!

This has been a tough month so 2 orders will help, not to mention just had a test called a disco gram on my back. The test is the Dr. sticks needles in my disc and injects dye while x-raying the disc. This test is to reproduce the pain in my back. Let me tell you this it work! Boy did it hurt. Well go to find out I have 4 ruptured discs. So much for the ol' sign business!

At least my CW is still going strong! Want to get another one, but the boss (wife) won't let me! Thought I would share the good day!

Ike

Dan-Woodman
12-18-2008, 07:07 PM
We're hoping for the best for you Ike.
I wasn't aware the carvewright could make pies. That must be a special machine you have . How long do you have to COOK them with the CW. Just had to mess with you a little Ike . My wife has disc problems and it's no fun. Maybe we should figure out a way to make new disc on the CW.
later Daniel

Paul Brown
12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Sorry to hear of your health problems Ike, I hope ya feel better soon. Be sure and ask your doc for some of those gorilla biscuits. They always help. The ones that make ya feel like King Kong when ya take em. Only thing bad bout them, ya run out or got to go to rehab to get off of them when ya back is better. That's some real happy carving there though. Get well soon. Lots of pattern trainning time though. Paul Brown.

LollyWood
12-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Hang in there Ike. A good wheeled stool w/ a supportive back and your back in business. Thoughts and prayers Bud.

fwharris
12-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Ike,

20 degree heat wave, bet you felt like walking around in your skivvies!! I've been running my 220 volt box electric heater for the last 2 weeks. Keeps the shop/garage at 45 to 50 degrees. Before starting up the CW I set it on the bench to warm up the CW. Last few days I have had to fire up the propane heater. Gets the shop up to a nice balmy 70. Bracing for the big chill this weekend with highs predicted of 4 degree.

I have had a few buddies go through that disco gram so I can relate to what you are talking about. Great news is they did get the surgery and are doing much much better. Until then no lifting over a 8 oz tumbler and get your self back on your feet. We are all cheering for you to get better...

Ike
12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks all, sorry didn't mean to sound like a sissy! Yes Dan you can make a pie with the CW!!!

Ike

want2b
12-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I can't speak for all here but I'm sure most will agree. After all you have given of your time and effort to the forum, if you have any carves that pop up while you're getting through this issue, let us know. Speaking for myself only, just let me know. Went through the old fashion die injection and discectomy, no fun but it's been 25 years and I know I couldn't keep going as I was. Let us know when you're back on line.
You have my prayers and wishes.
Rick H.

jcorder
12-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Makes two of us Ike, you need something carved while you recover, you just whistle and you got it. Back pain is a pain in the as.....well you know!

Prayers are with you

Good luck
Jeff

Ike
12-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Ike,

20 degree heat wave, bet you felt like walking around in your skivvies!! I've been running my 220 volt box electric heater for the last 2 weeks. Keeps the shop/garage at 45 to 50 degrees. Before starting up the CW I set it on the bench to warm up the CW. Last few days I have had to fire up the propane heater. Gets the shop up to a nice balmy 70. Bracing for the big chill this weekend with highs predicted of 4 degree.

I have had a few buddies go through that disco gram so I can relate to what! you are talking about. Great news is they did get the surgery and are doing much much better. Until then no lifting over a 8 oz tumbler and get your self back on your feet. We are all cheering for you to get better...

Shoot the other night it was zero degrees when I went to bed. Right now the wind is a blowing and the storm is a coming!!! That sounds dirty :wink:!

I am thrilled I got something done today, not to mention getting a couple orders! Finished up one and the other 4 signs are to be shipped after the the holidays.

Ike

jcorder
12-18-2008, 08:08 PM
oh yea, I tried that pie thing...will it hurt to use the hose to get pumpkin outta my QC? LOL

Dan-Woodman
12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Ike
That first ptn looks like Packman from the video game of long ago.
later Daniel

whr1900
12-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Ike
I know how it feels, got three hurniated discs in lower back and 1 in the neck and they say that because of ddd they do not want to operate so I am stuck with it. Good luck and get well soon.

William

Ike
12-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks again I really appreciate it, shoot going have to change this thread to the geriatrics ward!!!

I have had this for sometime I just want to get off the daily medication, it is not fun anymore!!!

Ike

supershingler
12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
count me in too ike if you need some help

just do the design and email the pattern and i be happy to help if my parts ever get here. went down on sunday and am impatiently waiting for the ups truck to show up with the parts. i just hope i can control my self and not give him a hug when he drops off the boxlol

good luck on with your back

ill pray for a quick recovery

happy holidays

kendall

Ike
12-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Wow again thank you! As I said, I let slip out the back trouble when really how I was praising my CW even being cold and my shop slowly warming up! I am so thankful for all the offers and for those who need the same my CW is working just fine. Plus I have a CC for a part machine. So I hope I am in good shape!

Thank you again!

Ike

fwharris
12-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Ike,

Hope the storm does not drop too much snow on you! I have been getting ready for this weekend sub zero temps. Got plenty of gas for the shop heater..

I hate it when the hair in my nose freezes up!!!

Ike
12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Ike,

Hope the storm does not drop too much snow on you! I have been getting ready for this weekend sub zero temps. Got plenty of gas for the shop heater..

I hate it when the hair in my nose freezes up!!!

Me too go from a nice warm house to outside and the nose begins to run and BAM frozen nose! Looks like my only break will be tomorrow to go down to my parent's home for the holidays. Few days before I want to go, but you do what you need to to do!

Merry Christmas all!!

Ike

HelpBot3000
12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Merry Christmas to you too Ike, and to everyone else for that matter. I know a lot of you are doing some traveling over the next week or two. Just be careful out there and we all look forward to hearing from you soon.