PDA

View Full Version : Code #248 after replacing Z Bundle

jiml
12-18-2008, 05:23 PM
After replacing the Z axis bundle I get the message"Z axis stall error 248 press stop". If I press stop it goes to Cravewright pattern menu, I press enter and we start the dance again"Z axis stall error 248 press stop".
There is no movement in the machine at all before the error code. The Y & Z movement is smooth and easy with the power off. I found a link about about pressing 053 then turning off machine but that did nothing. The Z motor CW sent had been used so I don't know if its in the motor or elswhere and I'm almost out of warranty. Only 61hrs on cut motor. Have been trying to get CW all day and no luck altho they do say my call is important. Any ideas?

liquidguitars
12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Can you run a sensor check "07" this will tell you if you have power to the Z pack.. also check the new cable, make sure its conected..

LG

jiml
12-18-2008, 08:11 PM
I checked the sensors and they all show readings, tracking, Y,Z, rollers and board sensor after the install. I just went back out and checked them again still show good.
Finally got ahold of CW and he said to recheck all the cables (again). The instructions said I could take out the old Z sensor since it wasn't used anymore but I left it in figured it was plugging up another hole sawdust would get thru.

SAA3840
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Check with Barry at Carvewright. My machine was doing exactly the same thing. I sent it to them, they made it go away but I don't know what was wrong. Works fine now that I have it back.

DocWheeler
12-19-2008, 11:19 AM
jiml,

It has been awhile but I recall that the wires going to the now-unused sensor in the Z truck can rub the Y rails and short-out causing that error.
I'm sure that it is mentioned in an old post somewhere.

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2008, 11:32 AM
If I understand you right, you replaced the Z Bundle. Did it have a new Z bundle before you replaced the Z motor? If not then you need to replace the big thick cable on the Z from a 16 pin to a 14 pin and the board it plugs into.

Here are pictures. Make sure the big flat 14 pin cable is installed with the pins facing the correct way. The back side is covered in plastic and will not let the power flow.

AL

Too bad Mr. Bot can't get pictures like this posted to a sticky rather then re posting them every 2 weeks.

jiml
12-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I had the old Z. CW sent the Zmotor, circuit board, Flat cable and board sensor. I replaced them all, the flat cable from the unused Z sensor is still in place but since the Z truck had not moved when I got the code I doubt it had rubbed thru.

Ike
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Jim, hope you are trying to call LHR, seems your trouble is beyond help in here? Oh wait isn't there 2 techs online that could help!!!! Hint hint ;) ;)

Ike

HelpBot3000
12-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Check with Barry at Carvewright. My machine was doing exactly the same thing. I sent it to them, they made it go away but I don't know what was wrong. Works fine now that I have it back.

Another point for me! :) Actually, I was the one that this gentleman spoke with and we are in the process of getting it figured out. Al, I can't make stickies because I have a regular account, no super powers. But, I'll mention it to Alex. Apparently he's more special than I am. :) Sorry we haven't been on much lately folks, with the holidays around the corner we have been NON STOP busy. One call ends and another is waiting for us. Please be patient and we'll try and get to everyone as best we can. I appreciate all of you guys (and gals) patience.

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Jim,

When you first turn on the machine and it starts doing it's homing process does the Z move at all? If not...

Check and be sure the 14 bin cable is not flipped so the plastic is where the exposed pins should be. See in Picture 1 and 2 above how the cable jack on the circuit board has metal in it to mate up with the metal of the cable. If you inserted it in backwards you would get this error as no power would get to the Z Motor.

Check to be sure your Z motor power plug is installed.

AL

jiml
12-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Al,
When I turn it on nothing moves, I get the error msg. right away. When I do a sensor check all seems fine they all show movement Y and Z axis, cover switch, board sensor, tracking sensor. The last time I checked the connections I made sure all the pins were straight and all the contacts on the ribbon cables had a rub mark where the contact was made. Seems like if there was a poor connection one of the sensors would not show a variable reading. I did try putting the probe in to check it and it always shows open.

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Does the machine say "Scan Area" in the display when you turn it on? If Yes, that is your problem. With the new Z you must go into the machine setup menu and select COVER for the Scan Probe rather than Z. You should have gotten directions for this in the package from LHR.

AL

jiml
12-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Al,
Once in a while it does. I'll try what you mentioned. Got ahold of CW today, couldn't get Barry, got what sounded like a new tech, had me do several things including unplugging and replugging cables with the power ON ???
Had me reinstall the old Z motor to see what happened same codes. He was going to check with a senior teck and call me right back, that was about 3:20, 6:50 now still waiting. I'm going to be out of warranty before this gets fixed.

Ike
12-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Jim I know how to reset the CW to get it out of scan if you would like to know? Will tell you anyway!!! Turn on machine, to key pad press zero then five then three, then stop 3 times. Wrote this on the side of my machine to remember!

Ike

jiml
12-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Al and Ike,
Thanks both I'll try what you suggested. I'll still try to get thru to CW today, hope I can get Barry or Andre. I think I have about a week or less on the warranty.

HelpBot3000
12-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm here today. I drew the "short straw" so to speak and I'm the hardware tech on duty for today. I'll be here until 6pm Central. I usually take lunch from noon to 1 though so I won't be here for that hour, obviously :)

Barry

HelpBot3000
12-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Jim is a funny guy. We had a good time figuring out the issue. Just for the record it was a bad 10 pin connector on the Z motor, the one that provides the power to the motor on the underside of the logic board.

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Good Job Mr. bot !!!!!

AL

jiml
12-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Hopefully in a week both Barry and I will be happy. Me because I can get off the phone and back to carving, and Barry because I'll be off the phone.