PDA

View Full Version : Can the rollers lock down from cranking?

lostinthefrost
12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Have had my machine for 4 days. About 5 hours logged already. I am extremly addicted. Last night I finished a project, cranked up the rollers to the top to clean everything out. Early today i went out to my workshop to check on everything before leaving for work. I started to crank the rollers back down and the clutch kept kicking in. Its the highest it can go, but refuses to go down. It is because it's 30 degrees out in my shop? Or did I do something wrong by cranking it too high? I didnt over do it when I raised it.

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Open your user manual and find the paragraph that tells you how to fix the problem that happens to almost everyone. Some open the manual first and know how to fix it and others just make it there number 1 post. There is hole in the jacking screw to lower it.

Read the manual and Tips and Tricks. Every problem you ever will have has been posted here. Cuts down on what we call Pilot Error.

If your stuck feel free to ask or use the search. Sometimes you need to use " " with the search.

Welcome

AL

This #1 or first post was posted just 19 hours ago and was in the top 5 entries. Take some time and read a few weeks worth of troubleshooting. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9641

Kenm810
12-17-2008, 10:39 AM
It's a very common new carver problem (Vertical Lockup)
Plus the machines don't like working in temps below 60 or 65 Degress

Vertical Lockup: Cranking the head beyond its highest useable
height can result in it locking in a position where the head crank cannot
lower it. Releasing from this locked position it is very easy. The
threaded head screw needs to be manually turned and can be
accessed from the inside of the machine. On this head screw, just
above the traction belts, is a hole into which an Allen wrench or similar
tool can be inserted. Using the Allen wrench as leverage, turn the
head screw a clockwise direction to unlock it.
Carvewright Manual (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWright_manual_10-14-08.pdf)

LittleRedWoodshop
12-17-2008, 10:39 AM
You need to face the front of the machine, look at the threaded rod on the right. It will have a hole drilled thru it. Use a small screwdriver and place it thru the hole. Turn the screwdriver about 3 or 4 turns (you will have to take it and move it from side to side) and the crank should work. If not repeat the previous steps until it catches.

Side note - the machine really shouldn't be running in 30 degree weather.

LittleRedWoodshop
12-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I think we were all typing at the same time.

lostinthefrost
12-17-2008, 10:40 AM
great thanks. I knew it was a newbie error. I was losing my mind on the way to work thinking about it.

** Thanks for all of the replies. Everyone on here has been great with helpful answers through a few of my posts. It's nice to not have people that are all being nasty to the new people.

My shop has been 55-60 while operating with my heater, it just dropped to below 30 last night when i shut it off.

I cannot believe how addicting this machine is. I am constantly look around to get ideas!

fwharris
12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Lostinthefrost,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your CW.
Your probably cranked the head up to high. If you check in the back of your owners manual you will find in the trouble shooting section the instructions for releasing the head. On the back side, opposite of the key pad, toward the bottom of the head screw there is a hold in the screw. Insert a small nail or such and rotate the screw. You will see on that side a label with an arrow showing the direction to turn it.

And yes 30 degrees will play have an effect on the machine!!! Optimum temp is 70 but I have been doing just fine with my shop at about 55 to 60....

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Open the owners manual and that will save you time.

AL

fwharris
12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I think we were all typing at the same time.

The simple solutions are great are they not!!!!!!

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I think a combination lock on the carving machine plug of your carving machine out of the box would be good. You must read the operation manual to find clues to the combination to remove the lock. Something to get people interested in reading the manual. This tool is not like a table saw where you just plug it in and never open the manual.

AL