PDA

View Full Version : Can the CC make a really thin board?

TurtleCove
12-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Do you guys think I could take a piece of wood, 3/16" thick, and have it create a piece 1/16" thick? Basically, can it hone a board down?

Or 1/2" to 1/8"....you get the idea....
Using the jointing bit I assume.

deemon328
12-18-2008, 08:49 PM
No, it's the wrong tool for the job. A thickness sander will do this properly. Look up Performax Sanders for an idea.

jcorder
12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
a planner would also do the trick.

Good luck
Jeff

HighTechOkie
12-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Can it be done?....YES, requires nothing more than a 0.125" carve region. You still need the top and bottom edge to remain at stock height so the rollers maintain contact and the extra 3.5" on each end. Bit choice is limited by the choices for pattern bit, or substitute a bit of your choice and correct for bit diameter in your carve region. I would choose the 1/8" straight (cutting bit) and quality as Draft.

There are other tools better suited for the job, especially if you need several board feet of 1/16" stock. Another option would be to resaw on a bandsaw.

Rob

Reset
12-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Thin? How about business card thin (1/32")?

I didn't carve them this thin on the CC, I did, as Rob suggested re-sawed using a band saw, and a belt sander to remove the saw marks and thin them down a bit more.
But using a sled, I think there is a pretty good chance of carving things really thin :)
The type of wood will be also contribute to your success, these were done with cherry. My first try was with pine, and in addition to the added fuzzies, the wood is softer, so the finished card at 1/32" was much more flexible (more like paper), but very easily broken, because of the flexibility.

Tommy :)

edit: photo too large...will add later. :)
edit: photo added