PDA

View Full Version : Im new to the machine. Help!

RickD1955
12-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I am new to the machine and to online forums. My machine head is stuck. When I try to lower it all I get is a click just like it was all the way down.Can anyone help me?:roll:

Kenm810
12-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Rick,

Welcome to the CW Forum,

It's a very common new carver problem

Vertical Lockup: Cranking the head beyond its highest useable
height can result in it locking in a position where the head crank cannot
lower it. Releasing from this locked position it is very easy. The
threaded head screw needs to be manually turned and can be
accessed from the inside of the machine. On this head screw, just
above the traction belts, is a hole into which an Allen wrench or similar
tool can be inserted. Using the Allen wrench as leverage, turn the
head screw a clockwise direction to unlock it.
Carvewright Manual (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWright_manual_10-14-08.pdf)
CW Probe Manual (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CW_probe_manual_01-18-08.pdf)
Exploded view parts list (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/parts_list_manual.pdf)
troubleshooting_guide_04-17-07.pdf (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6161&d=1191280559)

FIGURE 32:

mtylerfl
12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I am new to the machine and to online forums. My machine head is stuck. When I try to lower it all I get is a click just like it was all the way down.Can anyone help me?

Hello Rick,

Provided you didn't simply raise the head too high...

That can be caused by your workshop being too cold. The operating temperature range for the machine is between 60° to 100°. (The lube on the mechanical parts will gum up if too cold.)

Bring your shop temp up to the proper level if it isn't already within that range. (This time of year, the Tech Support guys get a lot of calls from folks having "trouble" when all it is, is that the shop is too cold.)

Another thing that can cause that is the four posts are not tightened down. Check to see if any of the four posts are loose by trying to wiggle them. If loose, you may need to tighten either the top hex heads or flip the machine on its side, remove the bottom plate and tighten the bolts from the underside.

Another possibilty - during transit, the head may have gotten out of alignment. Check by placing a board under the rollers and move it to each corner. See if you have the same clearance at all four points. If not, you'll need to loosen the post bolts, bring the head into alignment, then re-tighten.

That's all that comes to me at the moment...

By the way, Welcome! I hope you get up and running soon!

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Rick,

I see this is your first post. WELCOME.

That operation manual has the same instructions in it how to crank down the head.

Every problem you will have with the machine will have been posted here. It's a great place to learn about your machine.

You will find the " " needs to be used in some searches.

Read the Tips and Tricks, it has a bunch of good operational info and prevents what we call "Pilot Error" Things like the 7 inch rule, QC Maintenance, Flex Shaft Maintenance are all "Need to Know" things for a new user.

This is not like a Table saw where you plug it in and never open the manual.

Welcome,

AL

RickD1955
12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
The problem was solved by turning the post ! Thank you so much guys for your help . I am reading alot and thanks for steering me to more info,theres alot to learn!:-D

jonm3
12-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I bought my CW this week, raise it, and it locked on me. I was told to lube it White Lith. Grease, but nothing about allen nut. I will look at mine again Monday and try to have it running. I have heard there is a wood working show in Maryland (Maryland State Fair) if anyone likes going to those shows.

jcorder
12-27-2008, 10:10 PM
on the side away from the touch pad, the center post that screws the head up and down, about 2/3 of the way down is a hole, put an allen wrench in the hole and turn it clockwise about a quarter of a turn and it will unlock the head.

Good luck
Jeff

mtylerfl
12-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I bought my CW this week, raise it, and it locked on me. I was told to lube it White Lith. Grease, but nothing about allen nut. I will look at mine again Monday and try to have it running. I have heard there is a wood working show in Maryland (Maryland State Fair) if anyone likes going to those shows.

Hello Jon,

There is also a Troubleshooting Guide in your Owner's Manual you could have referred to. (One of the troubleshooting topics covered is when a user raises the head too high and causes the lockup.) ;)

Be sure to read the free Tips & Tricks issues (especially Dec '07 and Jan '08) to help you avoid other common "newbie" mistakes and learn the basic care and maintainance of your machine. I think you will find them enjoyable and helpful!

jonm3
12-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I will have mine running tomarrow since I have found what I have to do on here and in the CW PDF Tech. Manuals. Thanks to you guys, I have found what I need to do. Soon I will be busy designing & carving.
Thanks Guy's

jcorder
12-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I will have mine running tomarrow since I have found what I have to do on here and in the CW PDF Tech. Manuals. Thanks to you guys, I have found what I need to do. Soon I will be busy designing & carving.
Thanks Guy's

Have fun and be sure an be very anal about keeping it clean! That will eliminate lots of problems.

Good luck
Jeff