PDA

View Full Version : NewBie Question? Carve area..

Carveaddict
12-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone,

If i have a project that requires a 12in by 12in work area, then i use a stock with the necessary overhang as per manual suggestions (eg. 48in by 24in), can i have my project start on the center of the stock being used for the job?

I there some where I could get the Carve Wright software manual and instructional DVDs?

Also can i import (simple 2D) dfx files into Carve Wright software? If anyone has done this can they explain and give their results.

thanks for Your help.

PS: I don't own the Carve Wright software. Just trying to see if it would work for my applications.

cnsranch
12-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Download the trial software, and begin going to town - that's what most have done (found on CW's website).

The "manual" is in the "help" portion of the toolbar, just like any other s'ware program.

You can do a search for any thing you want to learn about here on the Forum, such as a "troubleshooting Manual".

Finally, you can center your project horizontally and vertically on your virtual board, so the answer to your first question is yes.

Good luck.

Hexe SA
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Try the free down load software. The manual is also available as a down load of the home page. You are limited to 14.5" wide and a recommended minimum of 5/8" thick unless you want a carving sled. Length depends on the weight of the wood plus I would recommend supports for anything over 4 ft. Don't know about importing the file extention.
Carvebuddy.com has very good videos and tutorials you can check out.
Eva

AskBud
12-16-2008, 03:15 PM
There are all sorts of Tips & Tutorials out there.
You could start by going to the links (downloads) in my signature, below.
AskBud

Hexe SA
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
There are all sorts of Tips & Tutorials out there.
You could start by going to the links (downloads) in my signature, below.
AskBud

Forgot I about your page which is also full of good info.
Eva

EulessDave
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I learned this by trial and error:

Load the board and have the machine measure it (option 7). Then use these to define the board size in the software. This eliminates a lot of the "scale to fit" issues and "cut board to size" prompts.

David

Dan-Woodman
12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Eva was right about the 14.5 in. wide , but the minumum thickness is 1/2". Use only flat wood unless you use a flat sled.
later Daniel

liquidguitars
12-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I learned this by trial and error:

Load the board and have the machine measure it (option 7). Then use these to define the board size in the software. This eliminates a lot of the "scale to fit" issues and "cut board to size" prompts.

Yes this is a very good way to go...

LG