PDA

View Full Version : Chair Rail with horse pattern

Rick P
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I just received my CW machine today...it's still in the box.
One project I would like to make is a chair rail with a repeating horse pattern carved into it. The chair rail would be 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" wide and 5/8" to 7/8" thick and I would like to make it in sections that are 8 feet long.

First of all...is this possible with a CW machine??
Can anyone offer advice and a source for a horse pattern that can be repeated along the 8 foot length??

All comments and suggestions will be appreciated !!!

Thank you,
Rick P

Dan-Woodman
12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Rick
This is an excellant project for the cw. It will probably put a lot of hours on your machine , but thats what it's there for.Do a search for "horse" or whatever in the red bar at the top. On long projects use outfeed roller stands.
Welcome and have fun. Try to leave 1/2" to 3/4" top and bottom in designer, or you may get an error message.
later Daniel

Rick P
12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Dan !

supershingler
12-15-2008, 09:36 PM
rick

if you want the finished product to be 4" just make your board 3/4" wider on both top and bottom and let it carve and then rip of excess with table saw.
you will find that a little wasted wood will be worth it in getting the cw to do the job correctly. then you just have to use your imagination to use up the scrap.

i made some cutting boards out of my scrap for presents. i just cant throw anything away.

and like i heard some say one time " the only scrap in my shop are the ashes in my wood burner" welcome to the forum and as a word of advice " start slow and work your way up" the more you learn at a slower pace the more you will enjoy this machine

i give you three carves before your hooked.

and you have to post pictures when your done.

good luck

kendall

bjbethke
12-15-2008, 11:10 PM
I would use the board width the finished size, carve in the center of the width and hand route the edges. See sample with edge rout removed. (Do the edge with a hand held router) Use out feed rollers. Would take about 8-10 hours to carve.

liquidguitars
12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Cool design..

LG

bjbethke
12-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Cool design..

LG
Thanks LG,
I made this molding for a door on my back porch. Took me three days. Each peace was 7.5 hours, plus the edge rout.

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
BJB,

Using 1.126 do you get a CCM?

AL

AWoodsmith
12-17-2008, 02:07 AM
BJB,

Using 1.126 do you get a CCM?

AL
Very nice, it is funny I have started designing the molding for my entire home and here yu guys are already ahead of me......