PDA

View Full Version : can carvewright be used to cut out windows in wood model buildings

ironrailsbud
12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
:)
Hello...newbie here. I have a couple questions.
1. can the cw be used to cut out windows in wood, styrene, plastics, for model buildings ?

2. can you use your photos(.jpg) to carve out the photo or parts of it, or cut out part of the photo for use in making a model from it ? I guess the question is can you scan your photos with the cw software ?

I don't have a cw yet, but depending on the answers to these questions I may have one real soon !

thanks, Bud

cnsranch
12-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Hello...newbie here. I have a couple questions.
1. can the cw be used to cut out windows in wood, styrene, plastics, for model buildings ?

2. can you use your photos(.jpg) to carve out the photo or parts of it, or cut out part of the photo for use in making a model from it ? I guess the question is can you scan your photos with the cw software ?

I don't have a cw yet, but depending on the answers to these questions I may have one real soon !

thanks, Bud

Bud -

RE #1 - you can carve wood, corian and cast acrylics - nothing that has a relatively low melt point - plastics will melt as the bit is spinning at 20,000 rpm. Cut outs are no problem.

#2 - You can import jpegs into Designer software, and carve the result. Search "lithopane" "litho" "lithophane" for some examples. Also, search "pics" or the like to get some real-time results.

ironrailsbud
12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
thanks for the quick response...I think I'm going to like this place.

Another question: are the reconditioned cws recommended or would brand new be better...I assume some of the problems I've read about in the forum have been corrected on the newer and most up-to-date versions of both the carver and software ?

thanks, again...Bud

Digitalwoodshop
12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
If your thinking of buying a machine to cut window holes in thin stock, it would work for it.

I made up a quick house panel in designer as seen in picture 1 and selected the outline and selected cut path for the house.

I selected the outline of the upper window and assigned the cut path to it in picture 2.

Tools that would help layout the project are the grid lines and snap to grid marks.

For a detail window you could save a picture of it as a pattern and use the drawing tools and make cut path's then assign a bit to cut it or use cut path.

I needed a shamrock for a project and took a clip art of a shamrock and saved it as a pattern. Applied it to a board and used the draw line tool to outline it and then deleted the pattern and just saved the outline. Worked GREAT.

AL

cnsranch
12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I personally don't like to buy anything used unless I can get the history of use/abuse. That said, I picked up a 25" wds last month, and saved about $1,500. But, I know the guy, etc.

Although I haven't had any warranty work done on my machine, the warranty has given me a lot of psychological comfort.

After getting to know the machine, I would look seriously at used/refurb'ed if I were going with a second.

There are a lot of folks here that have gone that route.

But, if you can pick up a machine and save, say, $700, you have that in the bank if you need to have some work done.

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
What is a 25" wds?

AL

HighTechOkie
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Wide Drum Sander I'm guessing.

Rob

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
O'...... Now I see.

AL

cnsranch
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Sorry, had to mess with my browser, been out for a while.

Based on Al's recco a few months ago, found a double drum sander - it makes fast work of what we do on the CW.

Attached is an image of the machine I found...

liquidguitars
12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
A drum sander is the way to go with the CW..

LG

Dan-Woodman
12-16-2008, 04:59 PM
CNS
If you need somewhere to store that , you know where I'm at.
later Daniel

AWoodsmith
12-17-2008, 01:58 AM
CNS
If you need somewhere to store that , you know where I'm at.
later Daniel
I am Getting tool envy.....