PDA

View Full Version : carving in veneer

TurtleCove
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Most everyone is carving in thick stock, for that 3D look. I've got some sheets of very curly figured maple, and was thinking about carving some fancy cut-outs in it, then wraping the sheet in a circle, putting a light in it, and thus creating some sort of lamp.

I think I saw a picture someone posted up here, a while ago, of something similar.

Has anyone done anything similar to this?

cnsranch
12-15-2008, 12:17 PM
No responses, so I'll try -

The new 1/16" cutting bit allows stock as thin as 1/4" to be cut, but nothing thinner (I think that's right).

The only way I can see carving veneer is to attach it to, say, 1/2" stock, carve it, then un-attach it from the stock.

Problem is making sure the veneer is securely attached (if not, you'd tear the veneer to bits), then being able to de-laminate it from the stock.

If you figure it out, make sure to let us know!!

Kenm810
12-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I give up, -- I saw some pictures of a Cylinder style Shadow lamp with a wild life theme carver from Maple Burl Veneer. He used contact adhesive to hold it to a carrier board while it was being carver, then used lacquer thinner to remove the maple Veneer and taped it around a 6" or 8" cardboard mailing tube to dry and hold the Cylinder shape while he put clear finish on it and recoved the tube. He had a wire frame in side of it, to mount it on the Lamp base and light bulb holder.
I remember it looked really Rustic.
I looked for it for a hour or more --- But I can find the post or pictures.
Maybe someone else can recall who's project it was and when he made it.

cnsranch
12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
That could work.....