PDA

View Full Version : Help! I found a part on a board.

jeff412
12-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I was doing a carve and noticed a part laying on the board. It is a small black rectangular part with metal leads. It looks like a sensor. I have lost it now, so I can't even take a picture to post it. I was carving the golf tee game. I tried to complete the carve. It completed the back, but when I flipped it to the front it rolled the board out while it said "finding surface". Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff_Birt
12-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Sounds like part of the old home sensor that is no longer used. You might try a search for "part found" and be able to find a picture. It is somewhat common for them to fall off.

jeff412
12-14-2008, 12:50 PM
I did go ahead and carve the front of the project. The cut motor seemed like it ran slow then about half way through I got a "check cut motor" error. I pressed enter and the motor seemed to come up to the proper speed and completed the carve fine. What's going on?

Jeff

Jeff_Birt
12-14-2008, 02:01 PM
BTW, welcome to the forum.

You will find that the forums 'Search tool is a great friend (it's in the red bar at the top of each page). Try a search for "check cut motor" (with quotes) and you will be amazed at what you find on the subject. I would venture to say that you can find about 75% of your answers that way, or at least have a much better understanding of the problem. Here is one I found with that search string just now: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8229&highlight=check+cut+motor.

Another 'must' read for new owners, IMHO, is the Tips&Tricks newsletters that can be downloaded for free from the main CW site under the support tab, or on the CarveBuddy website. They will help you prevent about 90% of the common 'newbie' mistakes that we have all made.

jeff412
12-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have already searched the forum. I couldn't find anything that matched what I found. The machine seems to be carving fine though. So I guess it was just something extra. What I found was a single black rectangular piece that was about 1/4" x 3/8" x 1/8" with two wire leads coming out of the the end and then angled 90 degrees. It also had a slit in one of the larger faces.

Jeff

jeff412
12-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Ok. I found the part. I have attached pictures.

Jeff

HelpBot3000
12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Jeff, Jeff was right (that sounds funny) it looks like you got a homing sensor there. It is now an unused part so you don't have to worry about it. If you have any further issues though, you can always check here on the forum 24/7 or feel free to call Hardware Support and we can help you out here over the phone as well.

jeff412
12-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the help. I placed a call to tech support yesterday, but I haven't heard back yet. The machine is not carving correctly. Out of the last 3 carves, 2 have carved in the wrong place. I'll attached some photos of those problems after I get home tonight.

Jeff

jeff412
12-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the help. I placed a call to tech support yesterday, but I haven't heard back yet. The machine is not carving correctly. Out of the last 3 carves, 2 have carved in the wrong place. I'll attached some photos of those problems after I get home tonight.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2008, 10:26 AM
That is the single most photographed "what is it part" on the machine.

AL

forqnc
12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Jeff412, what version of software are you using, since the homing sensor is no longer used on the newer versions. It would have to be something like ver 1.113 or older if I remember correctly when they stopped using the homing sensor.

As for carvings not being in the correct place, you may have other issues, like slippage (sand paper belts) or the brass roller casuing problems.

There is a wealth of info in the forum, and I know the search tool isn't the most user friendly, but your problems may be a simple solution.